Prostitutes in Thailand are fueling the rise in cases of super gonorrhoea

webfact

On 4/1/2018 at 10:57 AM, joeyg said:

It's a combination of over prescribing and misuse by the people that are taking antibiotics. Either taking the wrong ones, or not taking them for the full duration indicated.

Yes, super gonorrhoea is nothing other than regular gonorrhoea that's no longer responding to the antibiotics that worked effectively in the past. I had an incident during loy krathong a few years ago where I slipped on some wet moss at the riverside and got a nasty cut on my arm  - some river water got into it and caused an infection. After it wouldn't go away had it tested at the hospital (ecoli) and it took several weeks and different types of antibiotics before it went away. Misuse of antibiotics globally is the reason they're no longer working in the way they did in the past. 

2 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

Yes, super gonorrhoea is nothing other than regular gonorrhoea that's no longer responding to the antibiotics that worked effectively in the past. I had an incident during loy krathong a few years ago where I slipped on some wet moss at the riverside and got a nasty cut on my arm  - some river water got into it and caused an infection. After it wouldn't go away had it tested at the hospital (ecoli) and it took several weeks and different types of antibiotics before it went away. Misuse of antibiotics globally is the reason they're no longer working in the way they did in the past. 

You had MRSA.  Correct?

3 hours ago, natb19 said:

Of course, no blame to the medical establishments that hand out antibiotics like candy with little or no instructions. Of course they're not compounding the problem for personal profit. 

i was jumping up and down and lecturing about this in 1990.  Nobody cared.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, joeyg said:

You had MRSA.  Correct?

Yes, it was staphylococcus aureus. Eventually knocked out by an injection of something and a third or fourth course of antibiotics. On the night in question the area at the riverside for floating krathongs was not well lit and the wet moss was pretty much invisible - afterwards near that area me and my gf spotted other people with bleeding elbows and knees, so I obviously wasn't the only one. 

4 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

Yes, it was staphylococcus aureus. Eventually knocked out by an injection of something and a third or fourth course of antibiotics. On the night in question the area at the riverside for floating krathongs was not well lit and the wet moss was pretty much invisible - afterwards near that area me and my gf spotted other people with bleeding elbows and knees, so I obviously wasn't the only one. 

Yes the Methicillin Resistant type.  Glad you beat it and you're OK. I have seen very severe cases of this where wounds had to be debrided over the course of several weeks and eventually the patient had to go into the hospital for a course of IV antibiotics. Years ago It was almost exclusively hospital acquired infection. The started shifting in the early to mid 90s where we started seeing a large percentage of the population developing what's called community acquired MRSA.   It developed especially in college dorms, military barracks and preschools.  Very nice the stuff.

One of the "rocket scientists" above was saying, "So don't just get these things." What a pathetic an ignorant comment. TB Is developing into a strain that has anabiotic resistance and is airborne. Over the past 20 years or so. If you develop it and it's detected in the USA you go under a forced medical quarantine. Sometimes the duration of treatment can go up to a year to clear the infection. Basically you are arrested. 

MRSA Is pretty much on every service we come in contact with.  It just depends on the titer/amount per volume in exudate, The condition of your immune system and whether or not it was introduced directly into the bloodstream or connective tissue as happened in your accident. In theory we can also contract MRSA Via aspiration of water droplets from a cough or sneeze and held into the upper respiratory system. I would have to check on journal statistics to confirm that. However that is my inclination.

The real key although, not an ultimate solution, is to have a good clean diet, get enough rest and the hope of maintaining a stable immune system. Of course it's not a perfect system and we have to try our best to keep our health intact.  If maintaining optimum health is not a priority for people then you don't need a doctor Or antibiotics, they need a psychiatrist...

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, JohnThailandJohn said:

Yea it  must be the gals who are at fault and not the guys who pay to be with them.

It should not be a question of blame! . I am not minimising the risk of anti biotic resistance but i put a few quid on it that the guy the subject of the topic is cured now!

• Like 1

You don't die from HIV..
You did in the old days when it turned into AIDS, the problem with young people today is they think they can have unprotective sex and eat meds for the rest of their life if they catch HIV. But the virus will never go away, and it does something to your immune system . I can never understand why people risk it, especially in Thailand.
  • Like 1

I had gonorrhea.  I had no idea I had it, I showed no symptoms.  I don't pay for sex but I'm sure I've had sex with some girls who were prostitutes.  First I knew was some girl telling me she had it and she'd only had sex with me recently.  For all I knew I could have had it for years.  I get tested for AIDS and syphilis occasionally but never gonorrhea chlamydia or any of the other ones.  They don't seem to be that harmful to carriers except in rare cases/people with poor immune systems/pregnant ladies.

I went to a clinic and it cost 600 baht for a shot in the bum.

24 minutes ago, balo said:

You did in the old days when it turned into AIDS, the problem with young people today is they think they can have unprotective sex and eat meds for the rest of their life if they catch HIV. But the virus will never go away, and it does something to your immune system . I can never understand why people risk it, especially in Thailand.

Or maybe they just read about and analyse the risks (from non propoganda sites) on the Internet and make an informed decision.

30 minutes ago, balo said:

Don't you think that it's somehow related to education? I've heard of girls who had sex with a ladyboy, not knowing that they could get pregnant. 

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, balo said:

Yes your statement is correct, my point was, you do not die from HIV you die from other common illness's due to having AIDS caused by having untreated HIV. So thank you for taking the time to explain it all for me.

15 hours ago, dfdgfdfdgs said:

I had gonorrhea.  I had no idea I had it, I showed no symptoms.  I don't pay for sex but I'm sure I've had sex with some girls who were prostitutes.  First I knew was some girl telling me she had it and she'd only had sex with me recently.  For all I knew I could have had it for years.  I get tested for AIDS and syphilis occasionally but never gonorrhea chlamydia or any of the other ones.  They don't seem to be that harmful to carriers except in rare cases/people with poor immune systems/pregnant ladies.

I went to a clinic and it cost 600 baht for a shot in the bum.

Easy, now any time you need a blood test for something the anti-bodies will show up in that test, nice.

1 hour ago, soalbundy said:

Easy, now any time you need a blood test for something the anti-bodies will show up in that test, nice.

Which routine tests check for anti-bodies for gonorrhea chlamydia?

On 4/4/2018 at 8:53 AM, joeyg said:

Which routine tests check for anti-bodies for gonorrhea chlamydia?

I've no idea but a self employed friend of mine in Germany had a routine operation in Germany on his private health insurance, the blood tests before the OP showed that he had had gonorrhea and that he hadn't reported this change in circumstances to his insurance company, they cancelled his insurance and he had to pay the OP himself.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

I've no idea but a self employed friend of mine in Germany had a routine operation in Germany on his private health insurance, the blood tests before the OP showed that he had had gonorrhea and that he hadn't reported this change in circumstances to his insurance company, they cancelled his insurance and he had to pay the OP himself.

I think that response was from someone else posting.  I had not heard of a test that checks for antibodies, only active infection.  I believe it probably exists though.  Only we don't use it clinically.  Interesting his insurance cancelled him for an STD.  I went to a cash practice many, many years ago.  dealing with Ics is the worst!

The customers are  also responsible.  Thai sex workers usually require a condom. The fillapina sex workers do not. In the Original story Thailand was not mentioned. My first STI was from a British non <deleted>  and not promiscuous. 

By the way for anybody interested, in Thailand the HIV strain is different to the strain/s in Europe and it's more prevalent in heterosexuals, whereas the strain/s in Europe is more prevalent in gay men.

1.3% of Thais have HIV.  That means if you sleep with just 10 Thais with no protection you have a roughly 1 in 10 chance of sleeping with one HIV positive person (which doesn't necessarily mean you will contract HIV).

If you sleep with 10 prostitutes, I'd put the odds at closer to 1 in 5.

Thailand has the highest prevalence of HIV in Asia.