Apologetic Warner resigned to never playing for Australia again

Apologetic Warner resigned to never playing for Australia again

By Nick Mulvenney

800x800 (4).jpg

Former Australian cricket vice-captain David Warner arrives at Cape Town International Airport, South Africa March 27, 2018. REUTERS/Sumaya Hisham

SYDNEY (Reuters) - A distraught David Warner issued an abject apology for his role in the Cape Town ball-tampering scandal on Saturday and said he was resigned to the prospect of never playing cricket for Australia again after his 12-month ban.

In a fourth highly emotional media conference in three days involving the Australian cricket team, the former vice-captain struggled to fight back the tears as he read a prepared statement in which he said his actions had been "inexcusable".

"There's a tiny ray of hope that I may one day be given the privilege of playing for my country again but I'm resigned to the fact that that may never happen again," the ashen-faced 31-year-old told reporters at the Sydney Cricket Ground.

"In the coming weeks and months I'm going to look at how this happened and who I am as a man. I will seek out advice and expertise to help me make serious changes."

Former captain Steve Smith, who gave his own emotional media conference on Thursday, also received a year's ban and batsman Cameron Bancroft was suspended for nine months for their part in last Saturday's incident, which has rocked Australia.

Coach Darren Lehmann was also reduced to tears when he announced on Thursday he would be stepping down after the South Africa series because of the scandal.

Warner, who has already lost millions of dollars in contracts since the cheating was exposed, said retiring from cricket altogether was one of the options he would "weigh up" with his family.

With his wife Candice, also in tears, watching on in the auditorium, Warner said he had not been shocked by what former Australia bowler Shane Warne described as the "hysteria" surrounding the case.

"We let our countries down," he said. "We made a bad decision. I played my part in that.

"It's really hard to sit here today, knowing and seeing my friends, my family, that are playing in South Africa at the moment in this fourth test, which I wish that I was a part of."

Warner was identified by a Cricket Australia investigation as the main instigator of the plan to scuff up the ball with sandpaper during the third test against South Africa last week.

To any questions about his role in the ball-tampering, Warner answered with an obviously pre-crafted line about taking "full responsibility for the part I played in this".

With Smith apparently already on the road to redemption after his news conference, and Bancroft cast as the junior player led astray by his vice-captain, Warner was asked if he had been made a scapegoat for the affair.

A long pause followed as he looked up and appeared to consider his answer before he again responded with the rote line.

"As I said before," he said. "I'm here to speak about myself and take responsibility for the part that I played in this."

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-03-31

44 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

It all started with the underarm ball...

Yes I had to cringe when the Aussie Cricket President (?) stated that this latest incident was against "the spirit of the game"..............and the underarm bowl wasn't?? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, xylophone said:

Yes I had to cringe when the Aussie Cricket President (?) stated that this latest incident was against "the spirit of the game"..............and the underarm bowl wasn't?? 

Yep-they abandoned honour.

They have never quite regained it.

Warner is just a "tradie" with a cricket bat.

• Like 2

555 nothing like a story on Aussie cricket to bring out the hypocritical/bitter/disgruntled Poms. England’s been the master of cheating going back to Arherton in ‘94, Trescothick in ‘05 and more recently Jimmy Anderson. Not to mention the soon to be criminal Ben Stokes in their ranks...whine all you like poms, won’t change the fact that a nation with a quarter of your population does, and always will, dominate you in cricket...

And as for Warner, he made a mistake in ball tampering. But as for threatening de Kock for abusing his wife/children, any man with a bit of mettle would do the same...then again?? 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, phantomfiddler said:

But everyone knows Australia is a classless society, no class at all haha !

Too many with English blood...luckily, the good cricketers must have ancestors from the rest of Britain! And better classless than apartheid or snobbish elitism? 

5 hours ago, xylophone said:

So the "bully boys" are now known to be cheats...........and they cry, poor diddums. Cry because they were found out, and if they hadn't been they would have continued doing it, as they may well have done in the past.

Should be banned for life.

Harden up, Precious. All cricket nations play hard/sledge. When they win, it’s called positive cricket, and it’s only when they lose to the Aussies that it becomes ‘bullying’...in the recent series, de Kock has abused Warner’s wife and children, and Rabada has shoulder barged Smith...yet the Aussies are the bullies? Are you so naive to think the yarpies don’t give as good as they get out on the field? At a guess,  has a life time of watching your team getting flogged by Australia slightly affected your ability to take an unbiased view? 

• Confused 1

27 minutes ago, dragons70 said:

At a guess,  has a life time of watching your team getting flogged by Australia slightly affected your ability to take an unbiased view? 

And a wrong guess............cos I've spent years watching my team dominate the Aussies and at times humiliating them. And that is an unbiased view!!

Quote: "Harden up, Precious".............you mean just like the Aussie cricketers have by crying, poor things!!

Edited by xylophone

1 hour ago, xylophone said:

And a wrong guess............cos I've spent years watching my team dominate the Aussies and at times humiliating them. And that is an unbiased view!!

Quote: "Harden up, Precious".............you mean just like the Aussie cricketers have by crying, poor things!!

Then you can’t be a Pom? No 5-0 or 4-0 humiliating wins for your boys I can remember ...and if you are a Pom, you must be very young, as I’d hardly call the most Ashes wins in the period between 2005 and 2016 as one of domination? Especially when there’s been 2 5-0, and 1 4-0 loss in that period? If you want the definition of domination, you might be better served looking at the win/loss ratio between the 2 sides since the 70’s...sorry to say mate, your boys are easily second best...and with a population 4 times the size to boot 555

3 hours ago, dragons70 said:

At a guess,  has a life time of watching your team getting flogged by Australia slightly affected your ability to take an unbiased view? 

"Has a life time of watching your team getting flogged by Australia slightly affected your ability to take an unbiased view? 

No I watch the Aussies getting flogged by my team, the All Blacks, regularly as it happens. Don't watch or follow cricket but don't believe that cheating has a place in any game, hence my posting here.

1 hour ago, xylophone said:

"Has a life time of watching your team getting flogged by Australia slightly affected your ability to take an unbiased view? 

No I watch the Aussies getting flogged by my team, the All Blacks, regularly as it happens. Don't watch or follow cricket but don't believe that cheating has a place in any game, hence my posting here.

Ah ok, another Kiwi living on the dole in Oz who hasn’t gotten over an incident from 1981? Won’t mention the years of flogging your mob in cricket, league and soccer then, will we? And wasn’t Richie McCae the biggest cheat in rugby history? Talk about glass houses...

10 hours ago, dragons70 said:

Ah ok, another Kiwi living on the dole in Oz who hasn’t gotten over an incident from 1981? Won’t mention the years of flogging your mob in cricket, league and soccer then, will we? And wasn’t Richie McCae the biggest cheat in rugby history? Talk about glass houses...

You've got to be Australian because you are getting so much wrong, that's not to say that you are cheating here, but suck it up blue, your cricketers are cheats, no two ways about it.

And you are so wrong about so much, and you sound so bitter........I've been living very comfortably in Thailand for 11 years and have never been on the dole in Oz, nor would I want to be.

And as for the mystery player Richie Mcae (I think you mean Richie McCaw) well suck it up again blue: –

When he received the IRB Player of The Year award for the third time former Australian lock and award chairperson John Eales described him as "an outstanding captain, a world class player and a role model for our sport".

AND In September 2012 after the All Blacks v South African Test in Dunedin, then South African coach Heyneke Meyer said that McCaw was the greatest rugby player the world has ever seen.

And as for cheats, well you may wish to consider this...........

Richie McCaw had played almost 50 test matches before he was shown a yellow card. Australian loosie Michael Hooper has seen five in his 46 matches. McCaw has been carded twice in his 143-test career, AND Michael Hooper Is The Most Yellow Carded Player In Test Match History (Nov 2017).

Better get back on topic as  your post contains so many inaccuracies. But what is accurate is that the Aussies were caught cheating and blubbed about it and if they hadn't been caught they would have continued doing it. They will take their place alongside the Aussie NRL/AFL cheats who were caught using drugs and the Aussie cyclists banned for doping, not to mention the Aussie Clubs who illegally broke the salary cap rules............

I will end with this though..........IMO there is absolutely no need for any of this rubbish, whether it be in cricket or any other sport, and this especially so in Australia which has poured a lot of money into its sporting support activities, has just about the perfect climate for training and playing in any sport and is a comparatively wealthy nation, so why do it?

9 hours ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

Never understood why anyone in sport would WANT to win by cheating other than direct monetary advantages/gambling.

The feeling that you have to prove that you are better than others perhaps??