At 70, I changed my physio approach

THAIPHUKET

I do regular cycling, in moderation. 

After reading this NYT article  https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/23/well/move/the-best-exercise-for-aging-muscles.html       I added weightlifting. 

Here a synopsis of the article:

..............Exercise is good for people, as everyone knows. But scientists have surprisingly little understanding of its cellular impacts and how those might vary by activity and the age of the exerciser.

So researchers at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., recently conducted an experiment on the cells of 72 healthy but sedentary men and women who were 30 or younger or older than 64. 

............ the volunteers were randomly assigned to a particular exercise regimen.

............  unexpected results were found in the biopsied muscle cells. Among the younger subjects who went through interval training, the activity levels had changed in 274 genes, compared with 170 genes for those who exercised more moderately and 74 for the weightlifters. Among the older cohort, almost 400 genes were working differently now, compared with 33 for the weightlifters and only 19 for the moderate exercisers.

...........  older people’s cells responded in some ways more robustly to intense exercise than the cells of the young did — suggesting, he says, that it is never too late to benefit from exercise.

UNQUOTE

What gives this boost?  Mitochondria !     To get a rough understanding of what is happening in our bodies, watch=

• Like 1