Tesco-Lotus and AmEx - No longer accepted - UPDATE

Crossy

Since I got my Thai AmEx card back in 2012 I've been using it in Tesco-Lotus, until today that is.

Today, Tesco Rangsit. Racked up to the checkout with a trolley full, scanned the lot, only about 3k Baht. Handed over the plastic, student / trainee lady said "no can" ah, no problem, out comes the Citi Visa, accepted with a smile.

Stopped at the Customer Service desk on the way out to check if new policy or if the young lady was mistaken. Confirmed AmEx no longer accepted by Tesco-Lotus.

No real problem for me, I have other cards. This was Tesco Rangsit, the card was certainly accepted 2 weeks back at Tesco Khlong Luang.

I'll be emailing AmEx and Tesco to see if it's national policy.

Anyone else seen this?

PTT still take AmEx as does (or did a few months back) our local private clinic, HomePro, MegaHome and Global House don't.

This website unfortunately has no update time stamp:

https://www.tescolotus.com/shoponline/en/help-payment.php

The list does not include Amex:

What type of payment cards can I use to pay?

You can use a debit or credit card to pay for your shopping. We accept the following payment providers:

• Visa debit

• Visa electron

• Visa credit card

• Master Card

• 1 month later...

I have been using AX at Tesco for years.  I loaded up 2 carts of groceries for my monthly run on April 4 and they would not accept it saying that they no longer accept AX.  I called AX on the same day and they told me that they were having problems and it would be fixed by 17 April. I tried to us it again on 20 April and they sill would not accept it.  I called again and they told me that the problem had to be corrected branch by branch and Bangkok was okay but some of the up country branches still would not accept it.  They told me the problem would be fixed "for sure" by 30 April.  Before going this time I called them on 18 May and they told me that they would check about the branch I use and call back.  Guess what , no call back.  I called again on19 May and the girl put me on hold while she checked.  She came back on and told me that the problem with the branch had not been corrected yet.  I asked her when and she said she didn't know and I should check again later.  Also Paypal will not accept AX if payments are to be made in Thai baht!

• 2 months later...

UPDATE - As of yesterday 22/07/18 Tesco (Rangsit) once again accept AmEx ?

They could well have been accepting for a while, just that yesterday was the first time I thought to ask.

• Like 1