Stop Press ! Stop Press Baht Rises

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Funny you should mention it. "Funny", because there are a couple active threads that cover this very subject.

I am sorry if I missed the name of a reputable currency trader there seem to be a lot of threads on this subject - Could you then answer the question ? I know from past experience that there are a lot of cowboy traders thats why I ask !

Are any Brit's planning to withdraw Baht in Thailand via Nationwide card and receive a current rate of 69.9?

Confess I have withdrawn yesterday and today, but I will be spending it here and so this rate is fine with me if it goes down or up in the future, so decided to take it out now.

Just wondered what the clever money is planning to do or if political and Devaluation concerns or other reasons are stopping people?

... I predicted 1-2 years ago in this very forum these moves we have seen from the Thai Baht recently. I invest heavily in forex so I pay attention to whatever in the world will make currencies fluctuate and have done quite well. The writing was all over the wall on this one.

... Current Baht movements against USD are because of fundemental U.S. weakness vs. fundemental Thai strength.

Most of you are way late to the party here. All these forex moves were discussed in here ad nauseum 1-2 years ago like I said. While I predicted this was going to happen I had people telling me then that I didn't know what I was talking about. Who is having the last laugh now?

As far as I recon, you're probably the only person in this forum who was able to predict the current THB strength and who's able to understand the reasons that driving the THB up.

As an expert in predictions, may be you can educate the rest of us - where THB is going from now on? Is it THB 32, 30 or even 25 to the US$?

Or since, as you put it "Most of you are way late to the party here", it is now a time to sell the THB !?

What are your current predictions and recommendation based on "the writing on the walls"?

... I predicted 1-2 years ago in this very forum these moves we have seen from the Thai Baht recently. I invest heavily in forex so I pay attention to whatever in the world will make currencies fluctuate and have done quite well. The writing was all over the wall on this one.

... Current Baht movements against USD are because of fundemental U.S. weakness vs. fundemental Thai strength.

Most of you are way late to the party here. All these forex moves were discussed in here ad nauseum 1-2 years ago like I said. While I predicted this was going to happen I had people telling me then that I didn't know what I was talking about. Who is having the last laugh now?

As far as I recon, you're probably the only person in this forum who was able to predict the current THB strength and who's able to understand the reasons that driving the THB up.

As an expert in predictions, may be you can educate the rest of us - where THB is going from now on? Is it THB 32, 30 or even 25 to the US$?

Or since, as you put it "Most of you are way late to the party here", it is now a time to sell the THB !?

What are your current predictions and recommendation based on "the writing on the walls"?

I love your sarcasm sir. I detect a hint of doubt in your message. When someone doubts the veracity of my comments I feel I must defend myself. So please, take a gander at the following links and be sure to pay special attention to the dates listed:

Old TV thread

Old TV Thread

Another

Old one

Last one

You'll notice a member in some of those earlier threads by the name of Harmonica. He was always on here preaching USD getting stronger & stronger and I debated with him and Britmaveric about it all the time. Funnily enough, Harmonica has no longer been posting here for a long while (might it have something to do with not facing the music of his wrong call and possible costing people money?).

I have maintained that THB and most Asian currencies were going to appreciate mainly due to U.S. economic weakness. This still holds true in my eyes which is why I am still invested heavily in JPY and nothing else.

As for future direction of the Baht, well that depends on many factors. Were all things going normally in the world I would say THB continues to get stronger or at least maintain current strong levels for a while. The Thai government has been doing many things lately though to throw a wrench in the works and I can see a possibility of it being Thailand negative. For those that were smart enough to get into THB 1-2 years ago, I would suggest getting out of it right now and moving it into another Asian currency until the Thai government volatility sorts itself out.

I never predicted when these currency moves would take place or for how long and how far. All I ever said was that it WILL happen and it did. To those that listened to me, congratulations!

As for future direction of the Baht, well that depends on many factors. Were all things going normally in the world I would say THB continues to get stronger or at least maintain current strong levels for a while. The Thai government has been doing many things lately though to throw a wrench in the works and I can see a possibility of it being Thailand negative. For those that were smart enough to get into THB 1-2 years ago, I would suggest getting out of it right now and moving it into another Asian currency until the Thai government volatility sorts itself out.

I never predicted when these currency moves would take place or for how long and how far. All I ever said was that it WILL happen and it did. To those that listened to me, congratulations!

To be fair, you did have a few doubters at the time, but also some ppl who were with you.

Anyway, most finance ppl I know agree with the basic sentiment: Chinese Yuan as the unstoppable force rising and carrying all other asian currencies with it.

I would really like some insight into the phenomenon though - why, if the Yuan goes up, do the other Asian currencies go up? There must be some real, solid reason - it can't be all senseless speculation, can it? I understand very well the reasons for the Yuan going up - it has to. But why does it "drag" the others along? Are there some very strong ties between Asian currencies? It seems to me the economies of the different Asian countries are very different - FX don't seem to be coupled very strongly to a "good economy" in any case.

I actually have way more questions on this :o For example, I never understood why Asian currencies are so weak to begin with, so that would be maybe a better place to start. Why can I have dinner in Thailand for $3 when the same dinner costs $15 in the U.S... most of us expats I think take this for granted and think it's some sort of basic fact of nature...

Edit: Ok, I actually found one good reason the THB may be tied to the Yuan - the Chinese government has said that the Yuan will be pegged against a basket of currencies - rather than the USD like it used to - and - tata! - the THB is part of this basket!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renminbi#Exchange_rate

I mean, whatever speculators are doing, China is going to be much bigger than that, even if the THB only makes up a "small" portion of the currencies basket. So there we have it. China is buying the THB.

Edited by nikster

I recall Mr. Harmonica: " Last Seen: 17 May 2006 ".

Wonder what happened to him. He was the one who knew everything about the Dollar and overloaded us with his technical analisys....predicting the US$ was going to rock to the moon. :o

LaoPo

Edit: Ok, I actually found one good reason the THB may be tied to the Yuan - the Chinese government has said that the Yuan will be pegged against a basket of currencies - rather than the USD like it used to - and - tata! - the THB is part of this basket!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renminbi#Exchange_rate

I mean, whatever speculators are doing, China is going to be much bigger than that, even if the THB only makes up a "small" portion of the currencies basket. So there we have it. China is buying the THB.

Note to the above:

One should be careful with Wikipedia. The content of Wikipedia, although (sometimes) quite reliable, is made by 'people of the world' themselves; in other words, the visitors of WP. That does not mean Wikipedia is right or agrees with/to the content.

Also, what China as a government or any other government in the world says or predicts should not -always- be believed (at any given moment).

Governments change, lie, turn around and/or change laws or predictions.....all the time.

But, it could be that China is also (amongst others) buying Baht, but as said before by someone else on this forum, trading Baht at Forex or other sources outside Thailand is very......VERY low.

But it could be that China banks inside Thailand are buying, but on the other hand...Thailand -economically spoken- is just a small country in the eyes of Beijing.

For instance: the province of Guangdong alone has some 92 million* people (2005) and a mindblowing economy....think about it !

* it wouldn't surpise me if there are more than 100 million by now.

LaoPo

lots of issues here

firstly to the questionners about the difference between the ATM rate and the xe rate

the fact that the 2 were so close was in fact a mere co-incidence - a reflection of the fact that the onshore and offshore quoted rates mapped so closely. Withdrawals from an ATM in Thailand have always been getting the onshore rate (as the conversion is done here just as of you go to an exchange counter with cash in your hands - the only difference being that with an ATM [or a VISA card withdrawal at a forex booth or a goods purchase in Thailand using a credit card] it'd be done electronically not physically).

While the onshore and offshore track so close the difference is too small to notice.

However the offshore rate is for many people a red herring.

It doesn't apply to retail (consumer) transactions in Thailand where the onshore rate is used. It also doesn't generally apply to retail offshore transactions. Even when xe was quoting 70, most people couldn't actually get that rate offshore. Walk into the Royal Bank of Scotland in Matlock Bath (as a totally random example) a few months agao when xe is quoting 70 to the Pound, order a thousand quids worth of Thai Baht for your next trip here and you'd have been given around 65,000 Baht. Let's say that after your holiday you still have 7,500 Baht in your pocket after your trip. Take that back into the bank and you'd have gotten back a little less than a hundred Pounds. It sounds like the bank are making a fortune from you from this transaction? In reality you have to remember that it's not the main business of a provincial branch of a UK bank to hold a supply of Asian currencies - especially volatile ones. There is a big risk that the Baht could go down against the Pound (over the last quarter of a century the Baht has given up almost 2/3 of its value against the Pound) and therefore a local UK bank wouldn't want to speculate on holding Baht as most of the time it would lose. Admittedly that's why all banks have centralised treasury functions that do buy and sell Baht at the quoted offshore rates (the xe rates) and therefore the difference between the xe rates and the retail rates is the pemium charged by the bank for the adminsitration but above all the risk involved. The risk of holding Baht depends upon the perceived risk and also the liquidity (if traded volumes are small you don't want to be the only big holder of Baht). Liquidity in Baht has always been very limited and risk, for the reasons highlighted above, has always been perceived to be significant. The lack of availability of easy OTC derivatives used by currency traders to hedge risk just emphasises this.

This is also the reason why now, as in 1997, currency traders find it hard to make too much of a move in the offshore Baht market - remember that the Baht speculation prior to December was mainly in the onshore liquid market - the speculators now appear to have been at least partially driven offshore into the less significant offshore market. This would appear to be a real triumoh for the Thai government - a 2 tier Baht isn't ideal but if the hedge funds ahve their own offshore club in which to play Baht among themselves and the'real Baht' economy can continue unaffected by this, then everyone should be happy with the outcome. A 'real Baht' - offshore Baht carry trade should be prevented by the 30% rule. I'm not saying that the 30% rule is perfect but the issues are more complex and the 30% rule better thought out than many commentators might have suggested at the time.

Asian currencies should continue to rise against USD as should all non-leveraged currencies - in boom times, leverage increases gains and therefore can attract capital - however when the effects of all this debt start to weigh down an economy, this can hurt the currency. USD, AUD and GBP are heavily leveraged currencies right now, Euro and Swiss Franc far less so and many Asian economies are now extremely deleveraged in the aftermath of 1997. Asian currencies superficially therefore are in a good position to benefit from leveraged currency weakness. Personally I prefer Singapore Dollar to the Yuan (linked to a secret basket know only to the Chinese authorities who can manipulate at will) or even the Baht where a political risk premium needs to be factored in (political risk as assessed by outsiders who neither know nor understand the real political situation here).

We foecasted Dollar weakness, rebound and further strength but wouldn't have used Thai Baht to exploit that (just to show that we're not infallible we also predicted Sterling relative weakness would start aginst Euro last year but it looks like we were a few months early - forex forecasting is the opposite of the weather forecast; the long range might be easier to spot than the short - as an example Euro probably should appreciate aainst Dollar during 2007 but the short term impetus right now implies some USD strengthening. You'd have to brave to take the Dollar's side though because if it strengthens 1% right now but then falls 10%, you're taking a big risk that you'd exit at the right time for the sake of 1% return.

To be fair, you did have a few doubters at the time, but also some ppl who were with you.

Anyway, most finance ppl I know agree with the basic sentiment: Chinese Yuan as the unstoppable force rising and carrying all other asian currencies with it.

I would really like some insight into the phenomenon though - why, if the Yuan goes up, do the other Asian currencies go up? There must be some real, solid reason - it can't be all senseless speculation, can it? I understand very well the reasons for the Yuan going up - it has to. But why does it "drag" the others along? Are there some very strong ties between Asian currencies? It seems to me the economies of the different Asian countries are very different - FX don't seem to be coupled very strongly to a "good economy" in any case.

I actually have way more questions on this :o For example, I never understood why Asian currencies are so weak to begin with, so that would be maybe a better place to start. Why can I have dinner in Thailand for $3 when the same dinner costs $15 in the U.S... most of us expats I think take this for granted and think it's some sort of basic fact of nature...

Are any Brit's planning to withdraw Baht in Thailand via Nationwide card and receive a current rate of 69.9?

Confess I have withdrawn yesterday and today, but I will be spending it here and so this rate is fine with me if it goes down or up in the future, so decided to take it out now.

Just wondered what the clever money is planning to do or if political and Devaluation concerns or other reasons are stopping people?

...Are any Brit's planning to withdraw Baht in Thailand via Nationwide card and receive a current rate of 69.9?....

Hi twix38, suggest you read my message about 6 messages ago #239 where it specifically says I withdrew money yesterday from an ATM in Thailand from my UK Nationwide Flex current account and I also said I got 69.979.

I always withdraw money in Thailand money this way.

If you are planning to try and draw as much baht as you can via your NW debit ATM card then you need to know the daily limit is 20,000 baht. Some ATMs require you to do it in 2 x 10,000baht withdrawals as they have machine (or bank specific limits per transaction).

(I have found that the daily limit is of course based on UK time so if you do a deduction at 9pm and again 1am the next day in Thailand the UK will still think you are deducting in the same day and tell you that you have used your daily limit (bearing in mind that the UK is 7 hours behind at this moment)

Regards. Dave

lots of issues here

...firstly to the questionners about the difference between the ATM rate and the xe rate.....

Hello Paul,

thanks for your explanation regarding the rates which will prove invaluable in the future. I now know to watch what exchange rates Bangkok and Kasikorn banks are quoting rather than xe.com.

I also thank you for the extensive informative remainder of you message, AND OTHERS who have given informative and at times expansive explanations. I am learning all the time and if nothing else find what people have to say and think extremely interesting.

Speaking personally, I wish to thank ALL of those trying to explain a very complex subject (I know it takes time and effort) so us "lesser mortals :o" can have some level of comprehension to what's going on.

Kindest Regards, Dave

Dear Dave,

you're very welcome - just glad that some of this stuff that's accumulated in my head over the years can come in useful occasionally!! :D

Nothing 'lesser' about not knowing all of this - you've just been lucky enough not to have to work in banking & finance!!

Paul

lots of issues here

...firstly to the questionners about the difference between the ATM rate and the xe rate.....

Hello Paul,

thanks for your explanation regarding the rates which will prove invaluable in the future. I now know to watch what exchange rates Bangkok and Kasikorn banks are quoting rather than xe.com.

I also thank you for the extensive informative remainder of you message, AND OTHERS who have given informative and at times expansive explanations. I am learning all the time and if nothing else find what people have to say and think extremely interesting.

Speaking personally, I wish to thank ALL of those trying to explain a very complex subject (I know it takes time and effort) so us "lesser mortals :o" can have some level of comprehension to what's going on.

Kindest Regards, Dave

"While I predicted this was going to happen I had people telling me then that I didn't know what I was talking about. Who is having the last laugh now?"

hmmm... shouldn't we thank the Gods that prophets are still wandering among us? :o

"While I predicted this was going to happen I had people telling me then that I didn't know what I was talking about. Who is having the last laugh now?"

hmmm... shouldn't we thank the Gods that prophets are still wandering among us? :o

Perhaps you should and while you're at it, try not to be so sarcastic and mean towards people that are giving you good advice for FREE!!!!!!!

Dear Dave,

you're very welcome - just glad that some of this stuff that's accumulated in my head over the years can come in useful occasionally!! :D

Nothing 'lesser' about not knowing all of this - you've just been lucky enough not to have to work in banking & finance!!

Paul

lots of issues here

Hello Paul,

Kindest Regards, Dave

Thanks Paul,

I realise it will be an educated guess on your part, but can I ask you what you believe will happen ON AVERAGE to the baht versus the GBP or Euro during 2007?

The reason I ask, is a big concern regarding the attempted sale of my Spanish home in a falling and dead Costa Blanca, Spain market. My house has been up for sale for 10 months and the signs are it will be on the market much longer due to mortgage interest rates keep going up recently, over building, reduced demand, AND lots of people selling their houses particularly cheap to get SOME capital back etc.

97% my capital is tied up in that house So I have to hold out for a low BUT reasonable sale price. When it does FINALLY sell I intend moving the 135,000 Euros to Thailand to buy a home for my wife (of 9 months) and her son and a car (none of which can be afforded without that sale).

To be honest I was very frightened when I saw the Baht value of my house drop from around 6,300,000 baht to around 5,859,000 some 450,000 baht less overnight on the xe.com. OK it has been explained very well to me that xe.com is not necessarily what I should be looking at look but I am worried that the onshore rate may follow suit. Do you feel the baht will on average be around 46 -47 baht per Euro during 2007 or do you feel it will drop toward the xe.com rates of around only 43.5 (or lower) to the Euro.

To be honest I have said to my wife that if I sell my house at at time the baht is VERY strong then I will delay moving money across and buying a house as that would reduce the financial strength and protection of my family. Even my UK pension would be damaged if the GBP dropped to xe.com currently quoted rates (51,500 baht would drop to around 48,800 baht - a savage drop)

Kind regards, Dave

Perhaps you should and while you're at it, try not to be so sarcastic and mean towards people that are giving you good advice for FREE!!!!!!!

= a verbis ad verbera et... beati pauperi spriritu! :o

Speak all the Latin you want about blessed are the poor. The facts remain.

I have maintained that THB and most Asian currencies were going to appreciate mainly due to U.S. economic weakness. This still holds true in my eyes which is why I am still invested heavily in JPY and nothing else.

You mean you invested in JPY because US economy is weak and wanted to avoid to follow $ in its fall ?

Well it seems you picked the only one currency in the world that actually was WEAKER then $ in the last 2 years, losing about 15%.

My condolences.

post-36056-1170127863_thumb.png

You mean you invested in JPY because US economy is weak and wanted to avoid to follow $ in its fall ?

Well it seems you picked the only one currency in the world that actually was WEAKER then $ in the last 2 years, losing about 15%.

My condolences.

That is temporary and I am still in JPY because it's only a matter of time before it appreciates. Just wait. I was right about many other's in the past and this one will come to fruition as well.

A simple question if I may, are details of locally traded volumes available? It appears that there have been some very curious spikes {in both directions} in value of the THB over the last few weeks and as an academic exercise I'm intrigued as to the amounts of currency traded which produce them.

Regards

My condolences.

That is temporary and I am still in JPY because it's only a matter of time before it appreciates. Just wait. I was right about many other's in the past and this one will come to fruition as well.

you mean like buying euros 2 years ago as you stated in one of your past threads...well here are the results of such great move either ...and consider also that euro interest rates were lower then $ in the meanwhile

post-36056-1170129638_thumb.png

My condolences.

you mean like buying euros 2 years ago as you stated in one of your past threads...well here are the results of such great move either ...and consider also that euro interest rates were lower then $ in the meanwhile

I bought into EUR when it was 1.17 vs USD. I got out of it when it was 1.30 vs USD and then went into JPY after that around 117 vs USD. OK?

The facts remain...

...that nowadays prophets do not achieve the results they did two thousand years ago. however, my latin expressions were directed on your remark "free advice". if i am not mistaken you are a trader or somehow connected to finance/investments. therefore the ISINs posted hereafter which i hold in my portfolio (besides a few hundred k cash of each €UR, USD and AUD) should enable you to guess the appoximate value of my portfolio based on the minimum trading amount of most positions.

if -after evaluation of my portfolio- you still think i need free advice i will happily listen and that very attentive.

:o

Lottomatica pp EUR....................... XS0254095663

PBA17 EUR....................................... XS0234088994

Ineos16 EUR..................................... XS0242945367

NordicTel15 EUR............................. XS0252438899

Dura 09 EUR..................................... XS0101338829

TuranAlem11 EUR.......................... XS0269267000

TROY CAP11 EUR.......................... XS0263392358

Petrol 11 EUR.................................. XS0271812447

Sibacadem 11 EUR........................ XS0274663383

Profilo Telra11EUR.........................XS0277592977

GM33 EUR........................................ XS0171943649

Bulgaria Steel 13............................ XS0251302609

Alliance Kaz......................................XS0284859054

Austria TRY....................................... XS0260875033

Deutsche Bank ISK........................ XS0280185090

Pemex pp.......................................... XS0201926663

Braskem pp...................................... USP18533AD48

Odebrecht pp................................... XS0229458665

CSN pp.............................................. USG25847AA53

Unibanco pp.................................... USG9191BFV56

Globo pp........................................... XS0251389457

GOL pp............................................. USG3980PAA33

National Steel pp............................ XS0242966017

GP Inv pp......................................... XS0282340230

Jam36................................................ US470160AU62

Ford29............................................... US345370BZ25

Galicia19........................................... USP09669BR53

ATF16 (Kaz)..................................... XS0253723281

BIC 16................................................ XS0246205495

Cell C15............................................. XS0224153360

Severstal14...................................... XS0190490606

Shanghai RE13............................... XS0251314364

Titan12............................................... US888312AA33

Durango12....................................... US21986MAK18

Rus Standard11............................. XS0253166655

Nurbank11....................................... XS0269698246

G-Steel10.......................................... XS0229866354

Hipotecario10.................................. XS0235386447

Gajah Tunggal10............................ XS0224891944

Banco Cruzeiro11.......................... XS0269109608

Asia Aluminium11........................... USG0536XAA12

Seychelles11................................... XS0269874664

Medco10........................................... XS0168954823

Xinhua11.......................................... XS027568564

Davomas.......................................... USY2029LAA71

Industrias Unidas16...................... USP56064BV26

CIE 15................................................ USP3142LAN93

KazakhGold 13 .............................. XS0273371632

Bertin 16........................................... USP1655PAB96

Trad-Dev Bank Mongolia 10........XS0282857449

Minerva 17....................................... USG61473AA59

The facts remain...

if -after evaluation of my portfolio- you still think i need free advice i will happily listen and that very attentive.

If you don't need the free advice then you have the free choice not to come on here and read these threads. These threads are posted because other people want info or have questions and some people, such as myself, are kind enough to help out. You're wasting everyone's time.

btw.....I do love this preverbial chest beating and I do come down on TripXCore and Paul's side. If anyone thinks that by reading the advice in this thread alone that i'm nipping out to spunk $100K on JPY's, EUR's, THB's or anything else for that matter they gotta be bilin an egg without the water!

The advice is sound but of-course one-sided. I think the likes of me reads between the predictions and gets the nuts and bolts of the mechanism from the extensive explanations provided gratis by professionals. The sparring that goes on between you guys should be on another site that you should sell tickets to coz some of it is a real hoot, but hear this....most of it ain't! I don't know what Latin is for Park your ego at the Western Union counter is but Dr. Naam and co. should remember that this forum is read mostly by people who have been round the tracks a few times and not by spotty preppy's with a squillion bucks burning a hole in their Calvins!

Ciao 4 now....TT

Could I respectively suggest that all those "knockers" to this thread, such as Dr Naam ,who most probably is living in his own fantasy world of portfolio exageration along with his boasting of cash asset availibilty, relieve the undo cerebral pressure that has brought about this fit of imagination by standing up a while from their PC and walking about, hence relieving said pressure from the place where there cerbral cortex undoubtably eminates in his circumstance.

The sparring that goes on between you guys should be on another site that you should sell tickets to coz some of it is a real hoot, but hear this....most of it ain't!

Let's remember though that I didn't start anything here. I am only trying to be helpful.