5 Year Family Visitor Visa to UK starts too late after sudden death!

Looking for help in relation to...

My Thai wife collected her passport from the visa office in Bangkok and her application for a 5 year family visitor visa to the UK was successful.

The problem is that her visa start date is on the 18/04/2018 (expires after 5 years), but my father died today so she now wants to come to the UK on either the 3rd or 4th of April to be at the funeral.

Is there a way she can come to the UK and get the permission to come here fairly quickly.

I would have travelled with her on the 18th, but when I heard my father was admitted to hospital I had to leave Thailand ASAP.

Thanks

Edited by SirPaul

I realise this is unusual, to want to change the start date on a visa.

All I have managed to find out so far is that by phoning the Foreign Office (yes they answer the phone even on a Bank Holiday Monday) I was told that I had to contact "UK Visas and Immigration (Tel: 0300 123 2253)".

There is no email address, and they are not open on Bank Holiday Mondays. Will phone tomorrow.

I am very sad indeed for your loss, may your Dad RIP.

My own Dad died about 5 weeks ago, I didn't make the journey home as we were estranged for about 40 yrs. 

Maybe I'm just getting too cynicle in my old age, but I couldn't honestly see what difference it would make whether I attended  or not (even if we got on well together).

My Ex. sent a mass card (had a mass said for him as we are Catholic).

Edited by dotpoom
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, PerkinsCuthbert said:

You can appeal on compassionate grounds but the wheels of government grind so slowly that, by the time you have a decision, your wife's first entry date will likely have passed anyway.

This is true. The Visa applicatoin was quick, about 1 week, but, in this case I need a decisiion within 3 days. I now feel as this is such an unusual problem, it will not be solved.

The best phone number I could find was 'The UK Visa Immigration International Advisory Service.
The problem here is that there is a cost (£1.37 per minute and you have to give your credit card details before you can speak with anyone) and it remains unlikely that this is not the right department or place to address the problem I have. I feel this telephone number is for chasing up Visa Applications that are currently being processed.

I do not mind paying the charge if there was someone who I could speak with. They coud listen to my problem and put me through to the appropriate department. This is not the case here.

You need to make a new application. At the end of the application form you should use the 'Any other information' field to explain that you have been granted a visa but you need a new vignette as you need  to travel to the UK before the vignette that you have been issued becomes valid.

Your wife may qualify for a so-called 'super priority service' which promises a 24 hour turn-around if the application is straight-forward. I believe The 'priority service'  promises a 3 to 5 day turn-around.

You can walk in to VFS in Bangkok without an appointment and pay a premium charge.

On 03/04/2018 at 7:30 PM, Fish Head Soup said:

You need to make a new application. At the end of the application form you should use the 'Any other information' field to explain that you have been granted a visa but you need a new vignette as you need  to travel to the UK before the vignette that you have been issued becomes valid.

Your wife may qualify for a so-called 'super priority service' which promises a 24 hour turn-around if the application is straight-forward. I believe The 'priority service'  promises a 3 to 5 day turn-around.

You can walk in to VFS in Bangkok without an appointment and pay a premium charge.

This is brilliant and the sort of help I was hoping for, a big thankyou.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SirPaul said:

This is brilliant and the sort of help I was hoping for, a big thankyou.

I'm not sure that this is the right approach at all, by following the advice to apply for a new visa I'm pretty sure your girlfriiend would need to start the process again, including paying for a new application and the priority fee that's been recomended, that's going to add up to a fair bit of money.

You were advised by the FCO, was that in the UK or Thailand, to contact the UKVI Enquiry Line, as you say that's really for visa applications that have already been submitted not for people in your girlfriends position, who already have entry clearance but need to travel earlier.

The date your girlfriend wanted to travel has passed now but if she she still wants to travel earlier and given the fact that the UKVI in Bangkok are almost impossible to get to speak to, though I think she should try to convince the switchboard to put her through, is for her to go to VFS and ask them to make contact with the UKVI to issue a new vingettee with an earler date, she would probably need to pay but it would be nothing like the cost of making a fresh application.

The other option is for you to contact the enquiry line in the UK:

FAQ said:

What should I do if I need a visa in an emergency?

• Before contacting UKVI check if you qualify for any of the user pay services such as super priority or priority visas that have quick turnaround times and apply as per If you do not meet the conditions, please apply for the standard visa category and pay the relevant fees.
  • You may then email/ contact the International Enquiry service with the application details (case reference GWF number, complete name or passport number). Should your case qualify as an emergency, the team will get in touch with you. All other cases will be dealt with as normal.
  • Please note this service is available only in case of a serious medical emergency or an unfortunate event in the family that requires immediate emergency travel and should be evidenced with the application. This service is not available for business emergencies. [/quote] 

Or look at this link https://www.gov.uk/contact-ukvi-inside-outside-uk/y/outside-the-uk/english you still have to pay, but it might be the way to go.

I'm sorry for your loss

14 hours ago, theoldgit said:

go to VFS and ask them to make contact with the UKVI to issue a new vingettee with an earler date, she would probably need to pay but it would be nothing like the cost of making a fresh application.

They won't do this. They will only switch like for like to a different passport, and the FAQ you have quoted says to do exactly what I suggested he do, and in fact if he did as I suggested then his wife will probably have a new visa already or be collecting it tomorrow.

Edited by Fish Head Soup

As others have said; my condolences.

Sadly, the days when one could contact the visa section in a British embassy directly in such circumstances and have a visa in your hand the next day are long gone.

Whether you can get a new visa or have the start date of her existing one changed, I think that, under UKVI's new system of customer (non)service, by the time she has a new visa that it will close to the 18th anyway! 

So, provided the rest of your family agree of course, postponing the funeral may be the best idea.

Based on my own experiences with my parent's and my brother's funerals, it can take that long to arrange everything anyway.

Although, of course, I can understand you wanting your wife with you as soon as possible at this sad time.

37 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

Sadly, the days when one could contact the visa section in a British embassy directly in such circumstances and have a visa in your hand the next day are long gone.

The OP can walk in to VFS without appointment, explain circumstances, apply for new visa under 'super priority' and as long as the application is straight forward then the OP could have a new visa in passport within 24 hours.

On 05/04/2018 at 7:30 PM, Fish Head Soup said:

The OP can walk in to VFS without appointment, explain circumstances, apply for new visa under 'super priority' and as long as the application is straight forward then the OP could have a new visa in passport within 24 hours.

"Could have" and "Will have" are two very different concepts; especially if dealing with UKVI; where nearly two decades of experience has taught me that even "Should have" is a very flexible term!

I must have missed it, because I can find nothing on any UKVI or VFS page which says one could have one's visa within 24 hours; perhaps you'll be kind enough to link to the relevant page.

5 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

I must have missed it, because I can find nothing on any UKVI or VFS page which says one could have one's visa within 24 hours; perhaps you'll be kind enough to link to the relevant page.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/410039/SPV_Terms_and_Conditions.pdf

https://www.vfsglobal.co.uk/thailand/user_pay_services.html#super-priority-visa-service

Super Priority Visa Service (24 hours) Available in Bangkok

Details and Key benefits of service

SPVS applications will be ready for collection within 24 hours of biometric enrolment at the visa application centre.

Please note that the 24 hour period does not include weekends or public holidays when the VAC is closed – for example SPVS applications enrolled on a Friday morning will be ready for collection the following Monday morning - as this is the next working day.

We strongly recommend that customers with any form of adverse immigration history do not use this service.

Using the Super Priority Visa Service does not imply or guarantee that your visa application will be successful. All applicants must meet the requirements of the relevant UK Immigration Rules.

You may please note -

• The Super Priority Visa Service fee is non-refundable once your biometrics has been enrolled.
  • It will not always be possible for UK Visas & Immigration to process applications within 24 hours. In these circumstances we will let you know when you can expect your decision and whether your super priority visa service fee can be refunded.
  • The amount paid for the super priority visa service will not be refunded if the visa is refused.
  • Please note the terms and conditions of the super priority visa service and any disputes and claims arising out of its subject matter are to be governed by and construed in accordance with English Law. The English Courts shall have exclusive jurisdiction to settle any dispute or claim that arises out of or in connection with SPVS.

Eligibility to use service

Customers applying in one of the following immigration routes are eligible to use this service:

If you are applying for any other visa type or for a visa for a Commonwealth or British Overseas Territory you should not use the super priority visa service.

This service is available to applicants applying in VFS Bangkok only

How does one apply?

Customers wishing to use super priority visa service (SPVS) should select an SPV appointment slot when making an on-line appointment to attend the Bangkok Visa Application Centre (VAC).

Edited by Fish Head Soup

This thread is going off track with members making posts that don't really address the OP's concerns, and given that the person in question wished to travel almost a week ago, I'm going to close the thread.

If the OP wishes further advice please make contact with me and I'll reopen the thread, after removing all the off topic posts.