Testing internet speeds.

phetphet

I'm on a 50/10 VDSL package from 3BB. Was getting pixillation when streaming from my Apple TV, so did a speed test using www.speedof.me via wifi from my Mac to my router.

Various results ranging from 15.91 Mbps Down,  and 19.52 Mbps Up  to 26.79 Mbps Down and 22.88 Mbps Up. The ups always show way more than my package of 10Mbps.

Call 3BB, and engineer came and did a speed test. Told me that I needed to unplug all LAN's from router before testing to get an accurate result.

He then used AIS speed test with a server inside Thailand which shows I am getting more than 50 Mbps download speed. I realise this server is probably not throttled by 3BB, so it shows great results to the customer.

Was he bull shi**ing me about the LAN cables? I have one from Apple TV, one from Android box, and one to my amp. All of which were switched off.

Why would it make any difference if they were disconnected or not?

TIA

The easiest way to be sure nothing else is connected is obviously to pull all the plugs out.

I think it's very difficult to make accurate tests. Because if you have problems with video streaming from one provider then that is what you really want to solve. If does not really matter if you can download or upload a files from your home to somewhere in Bangkok or LA or wherever in high speed.

And if the connection is good 90% of the time that still doesn't mean it's good 100% of the time. If your video does not work 10% of the time that's bad enough.

Maybe the policy changed but some time ago I remember the Thai provider quoted best possible speed inside Thailand. They don't guarantee that speed anywhere outside Thailand and I don't think they guarantee that speed 24/7. TiT

The overseas bandwidth and the ISPs' willingness to let users have full access to it are probably at the root.  On that VDSL package you have, 3BB  used to offer an "Inter" supplement for B200/month specifically to offer higher access to that overseas bandwidth, and hence accelerate overseas data speeds.  They have since stopped offering that "Inter" supplement, so users are left with is a sub-par experience with overseas speeds.

You can have great/full domestic speed test results (i.e., test to servers within Thaland), but you international speed could still suck.  

And even if your international speed test to a certain server in farangland like say to San Francisco or London that does not mean the specific server you are doing your video streaming from is providing the same speed....even if the video server was in SF or London also.    

Another thing that can cause video streaming problems such as pausing and pixillation is the the data flow is not "smooth/consistent." 

In a speed test you are seeing the average of the samples taken during a test which lasts around 15 seconds. During those 15 seconds the speed might have varied greatly like zipping along at full speed and then slowing to a crawl...but the speed test result will show you an average although it may throw out some peaks and valleys to arrive at the average.    If your data flow is not smooth, consistent it can pay heck with video streaming.

Edited by Pib

My 3BB 30/10 speed tests 33.52 down and 11.91 up.  The speed is always at least 32 down and sometimes 13+ up.  My PlayStation console has an internal speed test to PS servers in Singapore. The speeds are consistently in the upper 20's down and 6+ up. 

I stream US TV, UK BBC, AUS 7 Plus and Netflix US daily through my HP laptop using a proxy to my Samsung 42" HD TV.  I experience no issues with video quality.

The only Guaranty an ISP will ever give regarding the connection speed is the speed from YOU to the Server/Data-Center of that ISP, and that applies for Leased lines and/or the use of Static IP's only. 

The Speed the user is paying for is 'just' that speed for which that specific connection is set for at max, with no guaranty that the user could connect to the target with that speed at all. The Speed the user could max reach the target is limited to what the system of that target is set for, whatever that is!

Some ISP's using an inline caching system for to boost the connection speed, not to all target servers, just to the most frequented servers. TRUE is using that!

And last, but least, to get to know what speed the user could reach, it will differ by the use of the software for to test that speed!

9 hours ago, Barshad said:

I use true fiber. No way to play online game or streaming. Online games ( lol, pubg) 250-300 ms

Thaivisa Connect kullanarak iPhone aracılığıyla gönderildi

I play online with my PS4 almost daily using 3BB 30/10. The connection speed from my console to the nearest PS server is 28+ down and 6+ up.  

10 hours ago, Barshad said:

I use true fiber. No way to play online game or streaming. Online games ( lol, pubg) 250-300 ms

Thaivisa Connect kullanarak iPhone aracılığıyla gönderildi

With a 250-300ms ping time that's because you are probably connecting to a game/streaming server in the US/Europe.   Every ISP in Thailand would have the approx same 250-300ms ping time...it's a speed of light related law.    You need to connect to some game/streaming server much closer...in the SE Asia region if you want to get your response time under a 100ms.  A server in Singapore would give you around a 35ms ping time.

Edited by Pib