"Smart phone addiction" can lead to obesity, Thai doctor reveals

webfact

"Smart phone addiction" can lead to obesity, Thai doctor reveals

3pm.jpg

Picture: INN

A female Thai doctor has revealed to INN that what she termed as "smart phone addiction" can lead to obesity and a host of other health problems.

Dr Phanphimon Wipulakorn a spokeswoman of the Department of Public Health said that obsessive and prolonged phone usage can lead to a sedentary lifestyle resulting in obesity.

Dr Phanphimon said that some people were addicted to their phones and can't bear to be separated from them even for a minute.

She said that if they have no phone, no signal or the battery is dead they suffer from stress, the shakes (delirium tremens), sweating and nausea.

She also described a condition called "finger lock" or "niw lock" in Thai that results from too much swiping.

Other ailments are sight problems due to staring at a small bright screen for too long, neck and should pain and headaches.

People should put down the source of their obsession and do some sport instead, she said helpfully. 

Source: INN

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-04-03

59 minutes ago, webfact said:

Dr Phanphimon Wipulakorn a spokeswoman of the Department of Public Health said that obsessive and prolonged phone usage can lead to a sedentary lifestyle resulting in obesity.

Dr Phanphimon said that some people were addicted to their phones and can't bear to be separated from them even for a minute.

Did she really go to medical school in order to get this insight?

Go to any shop and see people sit all day fiddling with their poxey phones and not moving. And getting fatter and fatter.

By the way, Doc; the sun turns your skin brown and/or red. There, I just did your next research paper for you...

58 minutes ago, webfact said:

People should put down the source of their obsession and do some sport instead, she said helpfully. 

Damn, she's good! I was wondering why my middle finger always got a "niw lock" reading all these communist-style press releases on my phone.

42 minutes ago, BobbyL said:

Thanks for that ground breaking opinion. 

In my recent research I have found out that not sleeping will make you feel tired. 

You should practice medicine here....

Nope, on second thoughts, you're probably overqualified.

:post-4641-1156694572:

• Like 1

And being exposed to the sweeping, earth-shattering revelations spluttered out all too frequently by so-called "doctors"  and "academics" may turn your brain into mush and lower your IQ by 10 points, I suspect. Not that it matters much in this country...   

1 hour ago, webfact said:

She said that if they have no phone, no signal or the battery is dead they suffer from stress, the shakes (delirium tremens), sweating and nausea.

She also described a condition called "finger lock" or "niw lock" in Thai that results from too much swiping.

All these symptoms also occur in zombies when they've gone for two or three days without eating brains. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Actually you need a phone to get a discount on sugary drinks.

really. i didn't know that. oh the promotions they do. rarely use them. but still it's really about the diet and not the phone IMO. some are perfectly happy eating crap and staring into the sky. the phone, well it's irrelevant 

3 hours ago, BobbyL said:

Thanks for that ground breaking opinion. 

In my recent research I have found out that not sleeping will make you feel tired. 

Would be interesting how much time Dr. Phanphimon Wipulakorn spent to gain this insight and if she has nothing important to do. I guess now she is working on a study to find out how to address the problem to farrangs and western life style.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

But, this cannot possibly be true. The department store is full of staff friends on the phone to the next counter.

3 hours ago, Happy enough said:

no doc, using the phone doesn't make you fat. continuously eating shit loaded with sugar and crap from seven does though. no phone involved with that

Good luck finding healthy food, you'll have to shop yourself and also cook it.

Much easyier to sit on the sofa, tv on, cellphone in hand and mama noodles in the microwave.

1 minute ago, Thian said:

Good luck finding healthy food, you'll have to shop yourself and also cook it.

Much easyier to sit on the sofa, tv on, cellphone in hand and mama noodles in the microwave.

you put mama noodles in the microwave?

Just now, Happy enough said:

you put mama noodles in the microwave?

I never ate those, only Indomee...

But i think my wife puts them in the microwave when she's too busy watching tv/playing that game on her phone.

Just now, Thian said:

I never ate those, only Indomee...

But i think my wife puts them in the microwave when she's too busy watching tv/playing that game on her phone.

i always boil them. ask her to put an egg in. best hangover cure IMO well apart from bacon egg and beans :)

The Thai dresscode of wearing long sleaves/trousers and have white skin also contributes to them being fat. In those kind of clothes one will sweat from any move made.

The fact that the Thai can't build good sidewalks which are in shade also contributes to them going everywhere by car and making them fat.

Yesterday in Fuji restaurant was an old Thai men in wheelchair sitting next to us...he was surrounded by 4 18-year old kids (i guess his grandchildren)...during dinner nobody spoke a word, they were only staring at their cellphones and the old man was examining them....

Thailand needs restaurants where cellphones are not allowed to used at all, also not for playing babygames.

4 minutes ago, Thian said:

The Thai dresscode of wearing long sleaves/trousers and have white skin also contributes to them being fat. In those kind of clothes one will sweat from any move made.

The fact that the Thai can't build good sidewalks which are in shade also contributes to them going everywhere by car and making them fat.

Yesterday in Fuji restaurant was an old Thai men in wheelchair sitting next to us...he was surrounded by 4 18-year old kids (i guess his grandchildren)...during dinner nobody spoke a word, they were only staring at their cellphones and the old man was examining them....

Thailand needs restaurants where cellphones are not allowed to used at all, also not for playing babygames.

funny you say that but my brother, a lot posher than me i might add, he has his way etc. does not allow phones at the table and i think he could be correct