Looking for a decent guitar.

vogie

Hi all, I'm looking to upgrade my existing guitar, I live near to Pattaya and have scoured all the guitar shops there to no avail. Most seem to have the 2000baht guitars, but none of better quality. The only shop that had quality guitars was Surinya, there are two shops, the one nearest Tesco Lotus, but their prices was around the 300,000 to 400,000 baht. 

I am going to have a run into Bangkok and I was wondering if anyone knew of guitar shops there with guitars around the 15000 to 25000 baht mark. I was looking at the Epiphone EJ200CE electro/acoustic, but all subject to to playability. Thanks.

20 minutes ago, sinom said:

try google for CT Music Shop in BKK. They have your Epi on offer for 15,300 THB + many others

Thanks for the reply, they certainly have a lot to choose from, I might have a trip there in a couple of days.

I'm thinking of ordering a Yamaha F310 from Lazada for around ฿4,000. 

I would of course prefer to examine a guitar in person before I buy it but I don't live near any big music shops and I trust Yamaha's quality control enough to give it a punt.

Yamaha guitars also hold their value incredibly well in Thailand, even the pawn shops know about them apparently.

5 hours ago, Trembly said:

I'm thinking of ordering a Yamaha F310 from Lazada for around ฿4,000. 

I would of course prefer to examine a guitar in person before I buy it but I don't live near any big music shops and I trust Yamaha's quality control enough to give it a punt.

Yamaha guitars also hold their value incredibly well in Thailand, even the pawn shops know about them apparently.

You know these Yamahas are built in Indonesia, it's a Yamaha 310 I'm replacing.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, vogie said:

You know these Yamahas are built in Indonesia, it's a Yamaha 310 I'm replacing.

Oh dear . . . what's the problem with yours?

I did come across the fact they're made in Indonesia as went further with my research, but by many accounts they are - and I paraphrase - well built for the money.

I'm beginning to lean more towards the Epiphone PRO-1 now in any case.

I think I'll just have to bite the bullet and go into Khon Kaen or Bangkok to cop a feel before I buy. 

Edited by Trembly

20 minutes ago, Trembly said:

Oh dear . . . what's the problem with yours?

I did come across the fact they're made in Indonesia as went further with my research, but by many accounts they are - and I paraphrase - well built for the money.

I'm beginning to lean more towards the Epiphone PRO-1 now in any case.

I think I'll just have to bite the bullet and go into Khon Kaen or Bangkok to cop a feel before I buy. 

I think without a doubt the best way forward is try before you buy. I took advice from sinom and went to ct music today in Bangkok with the intention of coming away with an EpiphoneEJ-200CE, but thank goodness I tried that model and many others. I tried the Epi of course, but found it heavy and lacking volume and tone considering its a jumbo. I also tried a Veelah, a Cort and a Martin (24,000baht, not the 400,000baht) and was not impressed. He then gave me a Guild and I was blown over, it was smaller than the Epi but much louder, the tone was also wonderful, it has a bowed back to increase sound.

First thing tomorrow is to change the strings, he gave me a couple of sets of 10s, roll on tomorrow.

• Like 2

Good to hear you got it sorted.

What model Guild out of interest?

I have a range of guitars at home including the EJ-200-CE and the Yamaha F-310. The Epi is a bit of a beast, gives a big sound and is loud when plugged in,  and the Yamaha is my "beach guitar", which has taken a hammering over the last 10-12 years. As it's in the sun a lot, all I do is clean it and use a humidifier.

25 minutes ago, sinom said:

Good to hear you got it sorted.

What model Guild out of interest?

I have a range of guitars at home including the EJ-200-CE and the Yamaha F-310. The Epi is a bit of a beast, gives a big sound and is loud when plugged in,  and the Yamaha is my "beach guitar", which has taken a hammering over the last 10-12 years. As it's in the sun a lot, all I do is clean it and use a humidifier.

It's the Guild D-240E, the arch back seems to make so much difference to the volume and tone.

12862326.jpg

Good Choice :smile:

Guild make very nice guitars indeed, amongst the many guitars I own one is a vintage  Bluegrass D40 from 1964 made in the original factory at Hoboken NJ

I am the orignal owner and its still as good as the day it was bought if not better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, vogie said:

It's the Guild D-240E, the arch back seems to make so much difference to the volume and tone.

12862326.jpg

You can't tell much from a picture, but if this thing plays half as good as it looks, it should be spectacular. I am sure it already got posted somewhere on this thread, but may I ask how much you wound up spending for her?

14 minutes ago, Songlaw said:

You can't tell much from a picture, but if this thing plays half as good as it looks, it should be spectacular. I am sure it already got posted somewhere on this thread, but may I ask how much you wound up spending for her?

Just a tad under 18000baht. There are a lot more expensive ones but is good enough for me, more than good enough infact.

20180411_153050.jpg

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, vogie said:

Just a tad under 18000baht. There are a lot more expensive ones but is good enough for me, more than good enough infact.

20180411_153050.jpg

I will be paying much closer attention to Guild's new lineups. Thanks. For a time they were produced in Westerly, Rhode Island, USA, not terribly far from my last home in the US. Interestingly, according to Rimmer, they were originally produced in Hoboken, New Jersey. Which, incidentally, is not far from where I was born. The only one I ever played was in pretty bad shape, and as Gibsons (mostly the archtops) and the occasional Martin (0018, D28 and D35) were my instruments of choice, I had never really considered a Guild. I think I might now. If only for the nostalgic value. Thanks for the reply.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Songlaw said:

I will be paying much closer attention to Guild's new lineups. Thanks. For a time they were produced in Westerly, Rhode Island, USA, not terribly far from my last home in the US. Interestingly, according to Rimmer, they were originally produced in Hoboken, New Jersey. Which, incidentally, is not far from where I was born. The only one I ever played was in pretty bad shape, and as Gibsons (mostly the archtops) and the occasional Martin (0018, D28 and D35) were my instruments of choice, I had never really considered a Guild. I think I might now. If only for the nostalgic value. Thanks for the reply.

Most guitars here of that money are probably made in Asia. My old Yamaha was made in Indonesia, this Guild was designed in Calafornia, but made in China. Genuine American guitars will cost mega bucks over here IMO.

7 minutes ago, vogie said:

Most guitars here of that money are probably made in Asia. My old Yamaha was made in Indonesia, this Guild was designed in Calafornia, but made in China. Genuine American guitars will cost mega bucks over here IMO.

If the build quality is reasonable, it plays well and sounds decent, who's to complain? I had a couple of post-Japanese-era Yamahas when I was a kid that were surprisingly nice guitars, manufactured in Korea if memory serves. So I am not averse to Asian-made guitars. Besides, they're not asking American money for them, either. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rimmer said:

Good Choice :smile:

Guild make very nice guitars indeed, amongst the many guitars I own one is a vintage  Bluegrass D40 from 1964 made in the original factory at Hoboken NJ

I am the orignal owner and its still as good as the day it was bought if not better.

It might be tough to remember all the way back to '64, but as I'm sure you have heard, tops, backs, and sides tend to "loosen up" the more they're played, often resulting in a much fatter and warmer sound. At least that's been my experience. Of course, like most things, it could just be 'in my head.'

1 hour ago, Songlaw said:

It might be tough to remember all the way back to '64, but as I'm sure you have heard, tops, backs, and sides tend to "loosen up" the more they're played, often resulting in a much fatter and warmer sound. At least that's been my experience. Of course, like most things, it could just be 'in my head.'

I believe its the fibers in the wood that break down with playing  over time  :smile:

This guitar has also lived in UK, Sharjah, Singapore and here so that might loosen it up a bit as well :biggrin:

• Haha 1