applied for Tax id Number

Hello,

i stay here for a while, mostly on tourist Visa. I have some savings overseas, from where i transfer every month a fix amount to my bank account in Thailand.

Recently some banks from europe or also HK asked me to provide a tax number from thailand, which i dont have, coz i don´t work here.

so today i went to a tax revenue office near my home, to ask for a Tax ID. I told them i have some savings and i had to pay tax on my interest,  which i want back.

I showed her my bank account book. As the tax was only 5 Baht in the last year, she looked a bit confused. But I told i will prepare for future, may be i transfer more money

to thailand, but i want Tax Id first. So after a few questions, the officer said ok. I have to sign some forms, and at the end i get a small yellow paper with my name and Tax ID.

So what i read about in interent this TIN Number should have 10 digits, but i have a 13 digits number, Is this right?

The officer told me i had to pay tax now when i transfer some money from oversea to thailand if i stay more then 180 days a year.

Make me a bit worry, so i asked here again, if i have to pay TAX, She smiled and said no. But it leaves me with some worry thoughts now.

If i transfer constant every month a fixed amount to my bank account is that a kind of income and i have to pay tax now in thailand?

Thank you

9 minutes ago, hadock said:

So what i read about in interent this TIN Number should have 10 digits, but i have a 13 digits number, Is this right?

They have 13 digits now. They have been 13 digits for a while now that matches the number of digits that are in a Thai ID number.

10 minutes ago, hadock said:

The officer told me i had to pay tax now when i transfer some money from oversea to thailand if i stay more then 180 days a year.

Make me a bit worry, so i asked here again, if i have to pay TAX, She smiled and said no. But it leaves me with some worry thoughts now.

If i transfer constant every month a fixed amount to my bank account is that a kind of income and i have to pay tax now in thailand?

Getting a tax ID number does not change the requirement to pay taxes on the funds you bring into the country. That is not really enforced.

I am in same position , need to get a TIN ,

Joe couple of questions

Getting a tax ID number does not change the requirement to pay taxes on the funds you bring into the country. That is not really enforced.

are you saying no tax needed  to be paid  ??

also do you need to complete tax returns ??

tia

14 minutes ago, jkthai said:

If you are resident in Thailand for 180 days or more, accruable in a tax year (Jan - Dec) then you are considered tax resident.

In theory, any funds from overseas would not be taxable, so long as they are transferred the year, or longer, after it was earned, this is very difficult to prove either way and the revenue department have not been enforcing this.

Technically all tax residents with an accessible income of 100,000 THB or more per year should file a tax return, again this is not enforced unless you work here, or wish to claim tax paid back.

My advice to those that are tax resident and do have a TIN, would be not to claim back the tax paid on any interest unless it is a large worthwhile amount, especially if the funds are transferred from overseas on a regular basis, for a few Baht it might cause issues if an eagle eyed tax inspector wanted to do this and why raise a red flag if it isn't worthwhile to do so.

Edited by Mattd
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

They have 13 digits now. They have been 13 digits for a while now that matches the number of digits that are in a Thai ID number.

not really enforced

the reason i started paying WHT on the money i bring in is because i was worried in the future it may be enforced and finances scrutinized and back dated which would leave a big bill. whether they do ever enforce it remains to be seen but it wouldn't surprise me

1 hour ago, jkthai said:

I am in same position , need to get a TIN ,

Joe couple of questions

are you saying no tax needed  to be paid  ??

also do you need to complete tax returns ??

tia

In reality if you are here for over 180 days you are considered a resident for tax purposes and should pay tax on funds transferred into the country, assuming it has not already been taxed in the country of source, is it enforced? No, this may change in the future with the implementation of CRS but it is a long way off if indeed it does happen at all, Thailand is not expected to be part of the CRS until 2022

OP I also got a TIN request from my Bank, a lot of Expats are getting them now if they hold bank accounts in their home country, it is part of the CRS regulations, Google will give you more info on this, I supplied my Bank with a 13 digit tax number and received a letter last week advising it had been accepted by them

Edited by darrendsd

20 hours ago, darrendsd said:

In reality if you are here for over 180 days you are considered a resident for tax purposes and should pay tax on funds transferred into the country,

... unless it was earned in a previous year.  Funds earned in a previous year can be transferred to Thailand tax-free.

20 hours ago, darrendsd said:

assuming it has not already been taxed in the country of source,

That would depend on bi-lateral tax treaties between Thailand and the other country where taxes are paid, which are designed to prevent "double-taxation".

12 hours ago, JackThompson said:

assuming it has not already been taxed in the country of source,

That would depend on bi-lateral tax treaties between Thailand and the other country where taxes are paid, which are designed to prevent "double-taxation".

The way I remember it, it is stated on the website of the revenue department without limitation regarding nationality or double taxation agreement. I am posting on the phone at the moment and cannot look it up easily.

• Like 1

On 4/4/2018 at 6:44 PM, darrendsd said:

OP I also got a TIN request from my Bank, a lot of Expats are getting them now if they hold bank accounts in their home country, it is part of the CRS regulations, Google will give you more info on this, I supplied my Bank with a 13 digit tax number and received a letter last week advising it had been accepted by them

I have had a few requests for TIN numbers from several UK banks but so far I have just replied that "I have no taxable income in Thailand and therefore have no TIN".

Once they have this reply lodged on their system the banks seem to go quiet. So far I have not been hassled for more.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, rak sa_ngop said:

I have had a few requests for TIN numbers from several UK banks but so far I have just replied that "I have no taxable income in Thailand and therefore have no TIN".

Once they have this reply lodged on their system the banks seem to go quiet. So far I have not been hassled for more.

If you Google UK Bank TIN, you will see some banks are not accepting this reason, there are also a few threads about this on ThaiVisa

I don't want any issues with my Bank so provided them the TIN