Crash helmets seen as key to cutting Songkran road toll

snoop1130

Just now, Cheops said:

If they can't pay, seize their motorcycle.

ahhhh, now we are d'accord. So make a short cut and seize the toys immediately after a deadline.

It seems to me you are not very long in this country...?

Besides above, one of the key issues is that most Thai people disregard safety. Ask a Thai why he should wear a helmet or safety belt. Less than 10% would answer it's for safety reasons. If people disregard safety in a land where the law is not strictly enforced, nothing will change.

Starting to strictly enforce the traffic laws with heavy fines will be start. But it also must be done with education starting in kindergarten!
On a main road or dual carriageway I'd wear a helmet... But around town it's pointless and I try not to if I can get away with it. You never go fast enough to have an accident and if anything wearing a mask will be better for your health than crash helmet with all the black fumes from unserviced trucks and buses. A crash helmet is the last of your worries.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 minute ago, sawadee1947 said:

ahhhh, now we are d'accord. So make a short cut and seize the toys immediately after a deadline.

It seems to me you are not very long in this country...?

It seems to me that you better not make guesses. I'm probably more long in this country than you are (of course I'm also guessing here, but based on the fact that only registered on tv in 2013).

Btw, my Thai bil passed away because of a motorcycle accident and he would probably be alive if he had worn a helmet. 

7 minutes ago, reenatinnakor said:

On a main road or dual carriageway I'd wear a helmet... But around town it's pointless and I try not to if I can get away with it. You never go fast enough to have an accident and if anything wearing a mask will be better for your health than crash helmet with all the black fumes from unserviced trucks and buses. A crash helmet is the last of your worries.

Yeah, tell that to my Thai bil who passed away because of a motorcycle accident and he would probably be alive if he had worn a helmet.  He just went to the local market and had an accident (not his fault) at low speed. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Cheops said:

It seems to me that you better not make guesses. I'm probably more long in this country than you are (of course I'm also guessing here, but based on the fact that only registered on tv in 2013).

Btw, my Thai bil passed away because of a motorcycle accident and he would probably be alive if he had worn a helmet. 

I'm here since 2002

2 hours ago, Thian said:

And he even modified his rear tire to go faster, who cares about making an emergency stop?!

Faster "off-the-line" high-traction, pursuit-performance tire. You seen RTP motorcycle cops pursuing traffic offenders, right? Right? Naaah, on second thought it's probably an impounded bike and the officer was elected to take to the impound lot. 

Edited by MaxYakov

19 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

Quite simply, as most of this forum seem to agree, the police need to get out there with their new short haircuts and enforce the damned traffic regulations already in existence.  It isn't a difficult concept!

and in their traditional thai costumes ????!!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, kannot said:

Wouldnt it be great to stop him and write him a ticket in farang language then post it  up on farcebook hahhaha

and face jail time for defamation?

just stand and watch a major intersection in bangkok and you will see most of that's wrong among people who drive/ride in thailand. enforcement IS the key whatever the penalties may be, light or severe.

2 hours ago, reenatinnakor said:

Not a very bright comment really....   it would imply that you never exceed walking pace...

"You never go fast enough to have an accident" ???... This comment is so fundamentally flawed it is in direct contradiction of any level of intelligence or common sense .. You are stationary at traffic lights, a car drives into you. How fast were you going?... wished you had a helmet?

"A crash helmet is the least of your worries"... Well, maybe the least of your worries as it seems there is little to protect... there is no 'either-or' decision to be made between using a crash helmet or a face mask, wear both if the fumes concern you !!!... 

Now... try sprinting as fast as you can into a wall....  would you prefer to have a helmet on? Now imagine you are doing twice this speed, about 30-40km - you don't need any protective clothing or helmet?

The quoted post above does go some way towards helping us understand those around us and how galactically daft the thought processes are of those with whom we share the roads. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 2

The news percolating back to me from my Thai family this Songkran is that their greatest fear (getting stronger) is that they will be arrested and put in jail-especially for drinking and driving.

That is a change for the better.

They shrug off fines.

20 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Not a very bright comment really....   it would imply that you never exceed walking pace...

"You never go fast enough to have an accident" ???... This comment is so fundamentally flawed it is in direct contradiction of any level of intelligence or common sense .. You are stationary at traffic lights, a car drives into you. How fast were you going?... wished you had a helmet?

"A crash helmet is the least of your worries"... Well, maybe the least of your worries as it seems there is little to protect... there is no 'either-or' decision to be made between using a crash helmet or a face mask, wear both if the fumes concern you !!!...

Now... try sprinting as fast as you can into a wall....  would you prefer to have a helmet on? Now imagine you are doing twice this speed, about 30-40km - you don't need any protective clothing or helmet?

The quoted post above does go some way towards helping us understand those around us and how galactically daft the thought processes are of those with whom we share the roads.

Yep Mr Smith , where I live ( woop woop /boondocks ) the fastest Wave in town is the one with silly lillle flashing red lights on the front , blue lights on the back , no silencer and super skinny pushbike tyres at 40psi , all set up for the green light drag start . 1, 2, 3 and time for me to erect the middle digit.

Risk I'm willing to take. Ride down the road 3 mins and the hassle of putting a crash helmet on and then take it off, buy things, then put it on and then take it off again... Versus the unlikely risk of a car hitting me for no apparent reason. I'll take that risk any day.

I live in Pattaya and know where most of the money making traffic police tickets are so can avoid them usually around town. Like I said, I'm never going fast enough to fall over. If a car hits me for no reason when I'm stationary, then I'm dead anyway with or without a crash helmet. I do wear one on the main roads though since that's more dangerous, but around town totally unnecessary unless I can't avoid a ticket stop. I do wear a face mask though all the time... That will have more health benefits to me than a crash helmet!