Large mistake made advice and help required

I did not see wether he was given the amount of currency stated on the receipt, and the receipt is calculated wrong, or wether the receipt is calculated correctly, but they handed him more than the amount he was supposed to get via the receipt.

Makes a difference.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Deserted said:

Yes he knows. I also said to him to return it but he got a bit carried away with himself. He also said one amount was 1000 short. He said to the cashier what it was for and they added the amount straight away without checking in. He said he thought he was being cheated because the first amount wrong was 1000 less then they over corrected by mistake. He also said the rate being shown was higher than the one he was given so he left. He proved that the rate he was given was lower than what they were offering which is why he doesn't want to contact them. He said he would have lost 5400 baht. He was being honest and said because of that he doesn't want to speak to them. Like I said some guy has convinced him there will be repercussions. 

From reading this you cant see his is a very dishonest person and is trying to keep the money.  Almost anything he can think up to keep the money he had covered. If he does keep the money he is a thief. One can only hope that he does get stopped and thrown in a Thai jail for a day or two. Simply to see what life is really like.. He needs a shock to wake up. <deleted> would be a good thing to call the guy in question.

He is dishonest and a cheat. The effect of this is that the lowly paid cashier will held liable for the money and will have to pay it back. He has no morals. I hope he gets arrested when he tries to leave the country and blacklisted.

19 hours ago, Deserted said:

Yes he knows. I also said to him to return it but he got a bit carried away with himself. He also said one amount was 1000 short. He said to the cashier what it was for and they added the amount straight away without checking in. He said he thought he was being cheated because the first amount wrong was 1000 less then they over corrected by mistake. He also said the rate being shown was higher than the one he was given so he left. He proved that the rate he was given was lower than what they were offering which is why he doesn't want to contact them. He said he would have lost 5400 baht. He was being honest and said because of that he doesn't want to speak to them. Like I said some guy has convinced him there will be repercussions. 

If I am being honest I don't want to ask all this but my cousins are here and pushing me to because if it is picked up by immigration they can't leave.

Is he just worried about nothing? I know he should give it back but it does seem as though they tried to make a few thousand baht out of him but it backfired. What will happen if he doesn't give it back?

Why not just play dumb? If he gets pulled at the airport then he can say he knew nothing about it as the exchange people were messing around and making mistakes.

At the end of the day he can give the money back if he gets pulled up if not, well good luck to him.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Why is it so difficult for some people to be honest? Return the money, problem solved.

There's a saying among confidence tricksters that you can't cheat an honest person. It's greed that gets them every time.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Deserted said:

He just won't. He is sticking to his guns and stressing my cousins out. The guy he spoke to in the bar was probably drunk for all I know. 

And although your relative appears to be dishonest there's a good chance the guy in the bar has no clue what he's talking about.

I find it difficult to believe currency exchanges (seems to be 2 exchange locations from your postings) made multiple errors. 

And as said already the rate used at the moment of the transactions can be a little different to what's on a notice board. That's normal, that's how it works. 

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, LukKrueng said:

I'm pretty sure they have cctv's there, so if he get stopped by police/immigration it won't be hard for the exchange people to prove their case. Bette find a way to give the money back....

In fact in this day and age all exchange booths would be crazy to not have working CCTV cameras. 

Even before you posted down in your heart you already know the answer because you know what is right and what is wrong?

But you thinking this is Thailand, you ask hoping majority will assure you keeping it is the right thing to do?

You know the answer so regardless of Thailand, do the right thing.

• Like 2

This is a matter for your friend's conscience  .It would be difficult for the exchange to legally  force him to repay the cash .If he had been paid less than was due and later when he realised it went back later to ask for reimbursement would they have paid him the shortfall ..........I doubt it .

• Confused 1

We all make mistakes. No question exists he needs to return the overpaid money.  

They are calling him and personally I hope he does the right thing.  If he tries to keep the money that is not his and they stop him at the airport then I hope they treat him better than he is treating the clerk that overpaid him. 

• Like 1

As I had a partner who worked at one of these beuro kiosks I know that the bank will insist that they make up any losses. So it is the badly paid kiosk employee who will have to make up the tab not the bank. I have often been given the wrong change but always check and return the excess. It always makes me feel good that I am honest. Would you steal from a poor Thai girl or boy who was working long hours for crap money and living most probably in a hovel or at home? Your conscience, your decision.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, HerbalEd said:

Your cousin is already suffering for not doing the ethical thing -- i.e., he's worrying about his fate instead of enjoying a relaxing holiday.  

"...but it does seem as though they tried to make a few thousand baht out of him but it backfired..."

Do you want to explain this a bit further?

Are the exchange booths located in heavy walking traffic locations, are they professonally signed etc?

Why?  If the exchange booths tried to underpay your relative then it's likely they are doing it often. Not likely they would just select your relative for a once only scam.

If they cheat customers regularly then a customer or several customers will without doubt go to the police.

Would it be worth the exchange owner being in the headlights of the police? Doubt it.

• Like 1

Since they have been calling him and he has refused to answer he knows he is wrong, it also shows they know who he is. They can definitely file a police report for theft and they will notify immigration to stop him and he willthen favce more than being stopeed at airport they will arrest him and he will remain in jail untill a court decides his punishment. probably paying back the 20,000 baht plus a fine plus possible ban. Had a father and son from Austrailia skip out on a restaurant bill for last night at their hotel.  Was not able to stop at airport because they left before it was reported but upon their return 2 years later they were promptly arrested at the airport, fined and deported.  The exchange company has had plenty of time to report him so he could definitely get arrested at the airport.. It's the same as withdrawing money from ATM in your own country and instead of getting $100 it spits out $1,000 . If you don't return it they have you on camera and have your ATM info so you will be going to jail for theft if you don't return it.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Wake Up said:

We all make mistakes. No question exists he needs to return the overpaid money.  

They are calling him and personally I hope he does the right thing.  If he tries to keep the money that is not his and they stop him at the airport then I hope they treat him better than he is treating the clerk that overpaid him. 

"... the clerk that overpaid him... , who very likely has had to personally make up any overall cash shortage short fall in the days business. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Deserted said:

Well ok. I am not happy with how he is handling it. I did want to tell him the truth but maybe it's best left alone. 

He didn't steal anything but he also did not give back what was given to him by mistake. I don't know how that constitutes breaking the law. That is why I posted. I would be grateful if that could be answered rather than what he should or should not be doing.

He needs to give the money back, same as stealing, he knows it was a mistake, hope he gets caught in immigration and gets detained, with his attitude he deserves it

Way back in the day I made a stop in Italy on the way to see my great Aunt in Niece. It was

during the days of the Red Brigade robbing banks in Itlay. Guards with submachine guns

at the door and inside. I cashed in a bunch of American Express travelers' checks. I got

half way out the bank looking down at my transaction and all the lira in my hands. I realized

the teller had made a mistake giving me a rate on travelers' checks in US funds instead of the

lower Canadian funds. I spun around walked back to the counter and tried to explain her mistake.

I spoke no Italian and her no English. I was getting nowhere and the guard inside was getting concerned

as I was getting a little loud talking through the bulletproof glass. I then reached into my back pocket

pulling out my Canadian passport. She then realized her error, smiled thanked me profusely, the guard relaxed

backing away. All good. On another occasion, I was training a group of Canadian kids in Switzerland. All

the kids were using Canadian funds, American Express travelers' checks with the exception one who was

using checks in US funds. The kids (age 14-17) would stop at the bank doing their transactions as needed.

The young boy using US denominated checks walked in one day and was handed an envelope with his

name on it and cash inside. When the bank did their reconciliation at the end of the day they realized their

mistake and had placed the difference for the correct exchange in an envelope and pinned it to the wall

beside the teller waiting for his return. The kid had not a clue what was going on but was happy with the extra funds. Honesty is the best policy. The teller who made the mistake will no doubt have to make up the error in Thailand.

Your friend should head back to the exchange booth and get the error corrected. It is just the right thing.

• Like 1

Nothing good ever comes from returning excess money to Thais. Happened to me tens of times in 7-11 and now I just don't say anything anymore. They lose their face when admitting to a mistake so I am sure they rather not receive the excess back than losing their face. Also, if the teller has paid the difference from their own money and you come back, the boss might fire them if the story comes out.

Just do nothing and enjoy the money. You won't get locked up. It's not your fault and nobody is forced to count the money they receive from an exchange place. THEY have to do the math, not you. What if the ATM gave you 20,000 too much? You always count your money with ATMs?

Edit: If there was calls involved, he really should answer them and return the money. 

Edited by wump
  • Confused 1

No he wont get in trouble. The person making the mistake is going to have trouble paying from her own pocket. A value close to her 6 weeks working. I would have gone back but that is me. 

• Confused 1