Honda PCX Hybrid

Manitou

2 hours ago, CLW said:

I guees the majority of motorcycle rides goes to the next 7-11 and back and hardly more than 25km at once.
Other points are making sense.
Only with government rules to ban conventional engines from the city as in China electric motorbikes would get popular. But hey, TiT

I would argue that a lot of people use their scooters to commute to work. 70km rated max range means I can't even visit my friend across on the other side of Phuket because that's a roughly 60km round trip of city riding with red lights, acceleration etc and not just steady highway cruising. People in rural parts of Thailand easily have to ride 20-30km between towns. Maybe not every day but every now and then they will need to do so and they can't afford a second bike.

I fully support EVs and I think they are guaranteed to be the future. But this first generation of electric scooters is not practical enough yet. Especially if they are more expensive than a ICE based one. I think people could live without under-seat storage but the range needs to be a lot better.

I would argue that a lot of people use their scooters to commute to work. 70km rated max range means I can't even visit my friend across on the other side of Phuket because that's a roughly 60km round trip of city riding with red lights, acceleration etc and not just steady highway cruising. People in rural parts of Thailand easily have to ride 20-30km between towns. Maybe not every day but every now and then they will need to do so and they can't afford a second bike.

I fully support EVs and I think they are guaranteed to be the future. But this first generation of electric scooters is not practical enough yet. Especially if they are more expensive than a ICE based one. I think people could live without under-seat storage but the range needs to be a lot better.
Problem is the lack of charging infrastructure.
Usually you are supposed to charge the vehicle during work etc which almost could double your range.
I understand your concern, my Gf commuting around 30km one way in Bangkok which means there can be no unforeseen circumstances or she will run out of power on the way home.
Now which employer or condominium will let you charge your vehicle?

1 hour ago, CLW said:

Problem is the lack of charging infrastructure.
Usually you are supposed to charge the vehicle during work etc which almost could double your range.
I understand your concern, my Gf commuting around 30km one way in Bangkok which means there can be no unforeseen circumstances or she will run out of power on the way home.
Now which employer or condominium will let you charge your vehicle?

Yes good point, that's the other big issue that needs to be sorted first before widespread adoption can happen. At least there's a nice business opportunity presented by the issue. The range problem is not so easily solved because it increases costs a lot and there's not enough government incentives (doesn't have to be monetary) to make the EVs competitive.

Archived