Air Asia launches direct daily flights to Penang from Phuket

webfact

Air Asia launches direct daily flights to Penang from Phuket

By Phuket Gazette & The Nation

937cf3b7aeb6516225f809475b99a75c.jpeg

Getting from the Pearl of the Andaman to the Pearl of the Orient just got a lot more competitive. The only way you could get from Phuket to Penang, direct, in the past has been either a hair-raising overnight passenger van ride or flying with Firefly Airlines in a twin prop plane a few times a week. Now Air Asia is entering the route. (Or you could drive a minimum of 11 hours in a car and up to 16 hours in a bus)

The new Air Asia flights will be every day, leaving from Penang at 8.25pm and arriving in Phuket at 8.30pm (there’s a one hour time difference between the two islands). The flight from Phuket will depart at 9pm and arrive in Penang just past 11pm each night. The new flights launch on July 1 this year.

Full story:  https://thethaiger.com/lifestyle/air-asia-launches-direct-daily-flights-to-penang-from-phuket

thtthaiger.png
-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2018-04-05

Be interesting to see if the prices come down at all compared to Firefly.  Prices to / from Penang often on the premium side with not a lot by way of offers when I was last using the route a couple of years ago.  The new competition might help, esp as the new service is daily vs 3-4 days per week from Firefly.

• Like 1

On 4/5/2018 at 8:27 AM, ChidlomDweller said:

Variety is good.  Penang and Georgetown are nice for a day or 4, a bit like a sleepy seaside Singapore in the 1960s.  Very different vibe from Thailand.

I just love Penang. Very nice and friendly people who are genuinely interested of others. 

And the food.. the vast amounts of reasonably priced Indian foods :)

I just love Penang. Very nice and friendly people who are genuinely interested of others. 

I still go often but from BKK. Max out on Indian food every day I'm there :)

Sent using Tapatalk

• Like 1

This will be a game-changer for Phuket visa runners. It's about 4500 baht to get the bus there and back (including accomodation). I just checked the prices on AirAsia and you can get a return for 2000 Baht if you book in advance. That leaves 2500 baht to pay for overnight accomodation and a "visa agent". And no long dangerous bus ride.

• Like 2

On 06/04/2018 at 10:34 AM, oilinki said:

Totally agree Oilinki. Fantastic food and an easy place to wander around for a few days. And Malaysians are genuinely friendly regardless of background

• Like 1

Next on the list - would like to see a Langkawi-Phuket service start some time.  Many of our clients have requested this

Seeing as Yangon-Phuket started 2 weeks ago it doesn't seem that a Langkawi schedule would be too hard?

On 4/6/2018 at 8:40 PM, nkg said:

This will be a game-changer for Phuket visa runners. It's about 4500 baht to get the bus there and back (including accomodation). I just checked the prices on AirAsia and you can get a return for 2000 Baht if you book in advance. That leaves 2500 baht to pay for overnight accomodation and a "visa agent". And no long dangerous bus ride.

My favorite visa run is back on through Vietjet Air.  Phuket - Ho Chi Minh City - Phuket. 

Air Asia used to do this route, but stopped flying it a while ago. 

Of course, you need a visa to Vietnam, but you can easily arrange VOA.

I have been visa running out of Bangkok, via Pattaya.  Mainly to catch up with some friends there, and to avoid Phuket immigration. 

Edited by NamKangMan
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, NamKangMan said:

My favorite visa run is back on through Vietjet Air.  Phuket - Ho Chi Minh City - Phuket. 

I have been visa running out of Bangkok, via Pattaya.  Mainly to catch up with some friends there, and to avoid Phuket immigration. 

15 days visa-free for UK citizens now.

8 hours ago, NamKangMan said:

Excellent tip regarding Vietjet - visa runners take note. Prices around 2500 return for the dates I looked at.

Edited by nkg
xtra

11 hours ago, madmitch said:

15 days visa-free for UK citizens now.

Yes, I am aware of that.  UK passports have had visa exemption to Vietnam for sometime now.  I was posting for the benefit of members who are passport holders of other countries.

Here's a ist of visa exempt countries from a quick Google.

https://www.vietnamonline.com/visa/visa-exemption.html

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, nkg said:

Excellent tip regarding Vietjet - visa runners take note. Prices around 2500 return for the dates I looked at.

I mentioned Ho Chi Minh City not so much for its affordability, which it is, but for the variety of F & B available, tourist activities and attractions, and in general, the fun and craziness there. 

NOTE:   the Thai Consulate staff will ask for an air ticket departing Thailand, but they are aware the visa can be extended and the departure flight can be in the extension window period.  This has been my experience on the several occasions I have obtained a Thai visa there.

On 4/8/2018 at 2:07 AM, Argus Tuft said:

Next on the list - would like to see a Langkawi-Phuket service start some time.  Many of our clients have requested this

Seeing as Yangon-Phuket started 2 weeks ago it doesn't seem that a Langkawi schedule would be too hard?

As mentioned by another member, the Penang route will be / should be used by visa runners.  Yes, it might get a few tourists, both Thai and Foreigners and Malay, but I think this route is mainly targeting visa runners.

Whilst I enjoy a small break from Phuket, and like to explore new destinations with their different foods / restaurants, accommodation, tourist attractions, night life etc, many visa runners just want their new Thai visa ASAP, and to get back to Thailand.  This is the main reason this route will be popular. 

Unless Malay travel / visa agents are going to set up a Thai visa service on Langkawi, many visa runners would not like to get the boat over to Penang, go to the Thai Consulate, lodge their application, stay on Penang until their visa is processed, and then get the boat back to Langkawi.  I would have no problem doing this, but many would.

• Thanks 1

On 4/9/2018 at 4:37 AM, nkg said:

I recently did this trip.  If you book way in advance, they have some real low fares that can be had quite cheaply.  I booked the $61 one way fare each direction and total cost came to around $220.  Still not bad for such a convenient flight of just 1.5 hours to take you to someplace quite different than Malaysia, Indo etc.

As mentioned by another member, the Penang route will be / should be used by visa runners.  Yes, it might get a few tourists, both Thai and Foreigners and Malay, but I think this route is mainly targeting visa runners.

Whilst I enjoy a small break from Phuket, and like to explore new destinations with their different foods / restaurants, accommodation, tourist attractions, night life etc, many visa runners just want their new Thai visa ASAP, and to get back to Thailand.  This is the main reason this route will be popular. 

Unless Malay travel / visa agents are going to set up a Thai visa service on Langkawi, many visa runners would not like to get the boat over to Penang, go to the Thai Consulate, lodge their application, stay on Penang until their visa is processed, and then get the boat back to Langkawi.  I would have no problem doing this, but many would.
Living in Penang and having previously used the Firefly > Phuket route often the flights are invariably 90+% full of Malaysians or Chinese with quite a few Thais on occasions and never more than 5-10 caucasians. I doubt the new route will be any different and certainly not set up to cater for visa runners who I doubt would be sufficient in number to even figure as a consideration.

Sent using Tapatalk

• Like 2

1 hour ago, keeniau96 said:

Phuket-Penang interesting, may do it this year, but Phuket-VN I would do in a minute if the visa for USA  folks was same as for UKs.

For those not on the exempt country status, visas are still quite easy to get for VN.  Go to an online evisa agent, submit your application and anywhere from $6-$20 for the "visa letter".  Upon arrival into VN, go to the VOA desk at the airport, submit documents, pay the $25 stamp fee and that's it.  I actually paid and extra $15 for 'expedited" VOA done by an agent.  It took about 10 minutes while 70-80 people who didn't pay had to wait around.

Yes excellent to take a jet and fly over to VietNam...cheaper booze and bang bang !...great food, friendly people, "more or less" honest taxi drivers (much more easy going then Bangkok), much better cost of living if compared with Bangkok....maybe it will soon change just like it happened in Thailand years ago, but until then, VietNam will get good foreign exchange revenue as farangs will flock....

9 hours ago, SooKee said:

Living in Penang and having previously used the Firefly > Phuket route often the flights are invariably 90+% full of Malaysians or Chinese with quite a few Thais on occasions and never more than 5-10 caucasians. I doubt the new route will be any different and certainly not set up to cater for visa runners who I doubt would be sufficient in number to even figure as a consideration.

Sent using Tapatalk

FireFlyz are more expensive, and less reliable.  I have had two of my flights with them cancelled.  I made a decision never to fly with them again. 

AirAsia are cheaper, and will still depart, even if half full.

As the other member mentioned, add up the cost of dangerous minivan rides, and accommodation, and there is no reason why regular visa runners to Penang would stick with the minivans.  

Picture all those Phuket minivan visa runners, and there a a lot, jumping on an AirAsia plane to Penang, and there should be quite a few foreigners on board.

I'm sure AirAsia have done their home work.

Visa runners out of Phuket are "a constant" - they MUST leave, in order to come back, where as Malay, Chinese, and Thai's are effected by external forces effecting tourism. 

I would not be surprised if visa runners were the bread and butter of this route, in a similar way as bar girls, and their farang, are the bread and butter of the Phuket to Udon route. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, phuketrichard said:

you seriously think there are enough people in Phuket and nearby looking for visas, to justify their own flight?

See above post.

Not saying the whole plane will be full of visa runners, but they will be a constant source of bookings for AirAsia on this route.

As you know, the "early birds" get the cheap seats, and as visa runners know their exits dates well into the future, they will be the first to book. 

Once the word spreads of the affordability, comfort, time efficiency, and safety, among visa runners here, I would say this route will become very popular with them.

That said, I have posted another alternative that is cheaper and offers a more interesting couple of days, so who knows. 

9 hours ago, keeniau96 said:

Phuket-Penang interesting, may do it this year, but Phuket-VN I would do in a minute if the visa for USA  folks was same as for UKs.

US citizens pay similar to many other nations for a 1 month single entry visa, but WOW, don't US citizens get a great 1 year multi-entry deal.

$195USD - no further requirement needed.

No need to prove income, or have an amount of money in a useless bank for 3 months. 

When Obama was in Vietnam he got great deal for US expats, but he obviously forgot to mention US tourists.  :biggrin:

Here's a random from Google showing some prices.  As SP says, at $37USD for a 1 month single entry, it doesn't break the bank, and can be arranged online to pick up at the airport, upon arrival.

https://vietnamvisa.org/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzNzTpuqv2gIV0wMqCh0M_AirEAAYAyAAEgIKtfD_BwE

Edited by NamKangMan

FireFlyz are more expensive, and less reliable.  I have had two of my flights with them cancelled.  I made a decision never to fly with them again. 

AirAsia are cheaper, and will still depart, even if half full.

As the other member mentioned, add up the cost of dangerous minivan rides, and accommodation, and there is no reason why regular visa runners to Penang would stick with the minivans.  

Picture all those Phuket minivan visa runners, and there a a lot, jumping on an AirAsia plane to Penang, and there should be quite a few foreigners on board.

I'm sure AirAsia have done their home work.

Visa runners out of Phuket are "a constant" - they MUST leave, in order to come back, where as Malay, Chinese, and Thai's are effected by external forces effecting tourism. 

I would not be surprised if visa runners were the bread and butter of this route, in a similar way as bar girls, and their farang, are the bread and butter of the Phuket to Udon route. 

I'm sure Air Asia have done their homework too and I very much doubt visa runners featured in the calculations at all.

You seem to have had some bad luck with Firefly, more so than I have with the 50 plus bookings I've had with them. Rarely had a flight late let alone cancelled.

As to the sweeping statement that Air Asia is more reliable than Firefly? Based on what? Over the years I've been using both services I have had FAR more problems with one than the other and that one doesn't begin with F.

We'll see how it compares over time I guess. I'll have to keep a look out for the visa runner offers.

Sent using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, SooKee said:

I'm sure Air Asia have done their homework too and I very much doubt visa runners featured in the calculations at all.

You seem to have had some bad luck with Firefly, more so than I have with the 50 plus bookings I've had with them. Rarely had a flight late let alone cancelled.

As to the sweeping statement that Air Asia is more reliable than Firefly? Based on what? Over the years I've been using both services I have had FAR more problems with one than the other and that one doesn't begin with F.

We'll see how it compares over time I guess. I'll have to keep a look out for the visa runner offers.

Sent using Tapatalk

Maybe I have had back luck with FireFlyz, but with two cancelled flights, and being on a visa deadline, I decided not to use them anymore.  I was left to scramble a flight, twice, so that was it for me and FireFlyz. 

On the other hand, I have been on many AirAsia flights that departed half full.  Therefore, no one was "bumped" to another flight, to save the airline money.

"I'll have to keep a look out for the visa runner offers." - these offers already exist by virtue visa runners already know the exact day they must leave Thailand.  So, I / we can book a year in advance and get very cheap flights. Even cheaper during various sales. 

Having some competition on this route means lower fares.  Perhaps lower that the cost of visa running in a minivan.  

If the cost is comparable, which it is, don't you think a high percentage of the visa runners will use this route????

On 4/7/2018 at 11:07 PM, Argus Tuft said:

AirAsia used to fly BKK - LGK ten years ago and weren't able to fill just 3 flights a week. But maybe the landscape has changed, particularly with more and more young individual mainland Chinese travellers hitting the roads.

Still, HKT - LGK would be really a niche, maybe enough for 3 flights a week on a Turboprop. Malindo could do that or Nok, but I doubt a 737/320 jet could be operated profitably

• Like 1

1 hour ago, siam2007 said:

Still, HKT - LGK would be really a niche, maybe enough for 3 flights a week on a Turboprop. Malindo could do that or Nok, but I doubt a 737/320 jet could be operated profitably

Agreed, would need to be an ATR or similar, such as Firefly use on the HKT-PEN run - that might be sustainable