Pheu Thai demands an end to junta orders that limit political activity

webfact

1 minute ago, yellowboat said:

My point being criminals are usually far easier to deal with than holier than thou saviors.  Many of the back packing crowd are falling in love with Cambodia as it is fun.  Cheap smokes and booze and it is open for 24 hours.  Thailand has gotten dull, as many on this forum have pointed out. 

For sure the junta made Thailand a lot less fun with its restrictions on opening hours ect. I concur with you and others. It does not really affect me as I was never a real party animal and I almost don't drink. But it still is a shame. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

Anyone who cares about democracy and chooses to be in a non free country is doing that country a favor. 

Seems JOC is doing that country a favor because he seems to care a lot.

I prefer staying here and I don't care at all that I am doing the country a favor I was here during the reign of Thaksin doing that criminal a favor now I am doing the junta a favor.. seems to be evening out nicely.

The moment it really gets bad I might change my mind but so far I don't mind at all my ties here are stong and not broken by any idiots in charge. 

Edited by robblok

40 minutes ago, robblok said:

If you cared so much about democracy why are you still here.. your telling me i should leave because i should care for democracy meanwhile your still here. You make no sense... why don't you lead by example. 

Stop taking yourself so bloody seriously.....

I was actually agreeing with you........but coming from me, you automatically presumed it was an attack.......it was not

Thaivisa is entertainment...nothing more nothing less....our posts are not making any difference whatsoever....:coffee1:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, JOC said:

Stop taking yourself so bloody seriously.....

I was actually agreeing with you........but coming from me, you automatically presumed it was an attack.......it was not

Thaivisa is entertainment...nothing more nothing less....our posts are not making any difference whatsoever....:coffee1:

JOC,

Did not look like agreeing to me.. anyway if you say it was not I take your word for it.

I agree that our posts make absolutely zero difference.. except to us as its our entertainment.

Anyway I like it here in Thailand and if Thaksin get to power by proxy Ill survive just like we survived the junta. In reality who is in power does not make as much difference as the exchange rate. (sounds selfish but loads of people here complain about the rising costs far more then those complaining about the government)

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

I care about democracy but I still live here with my Thai wife and family as many other people do.

We don't have to like it, but we do have to live with it.

Does it really make that much difference ? For me life has only improved the last 4 years (not that i attribute that to the junta) just to progress. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, robblok said:

Does it really make that much difference ? For me life has only improved the last 4 years (not that i attribute that to the junta) just to progress. 

There isn't that much different out here in rural Khampaeng Phet over the last 4 years.

I suppose that you could call a 5 baht increase in the daily wage progress. Sadly the cost of living for all of us has gone up by more than 5 baht a day over the last 4 years.

The party’s leaders also called on the NCPO to stop using its absolute power under Article 44 and respect citizens’ rights and freedom as well as the new Constitution now that the election was approaching.

That makes the little dwarf's blood boiling. 

Chill out.jpg

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

It is true.

There WILL be an election in February.

I am not sure which year or even decade that February will be in, but there will be an election.

If not an election, somebody on this forum might have an erection in February. 

27 minutes ago, billd766 said:

There isn't that much different out here in rural Khampaeng Phet over the last 4 years.

I suppose that you could call a 5 baht increase in the daily wage progress. Sadly the cost of living for all of us has gone up by more than 5 baht a day over the last 4 years.

Here on the outskirts of BKK there has been a lot of changes, BTS opening, big shopping centers opening (Central, IKEA, Makro)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Which other countries are under direct military rule?

Juntas are never benign. Watch how fast the guns come out and the killings start if there are any serious protests.

Don't delude yourself and mislead others because you would rather have the military in charge than Thaksin. 

Arguably Thailand isn't under "direct military rule". The current Junta members are no longer the heads of the armed forces. A few posters on here have suggested that relationship, between former heads now turned Junta politicians and their replacements might not be as solid as portrayed.

As for others, Venuzuela springs to mind. Where a communist dictator is backed by the military, simply installs his own rival parliament when he doesn't like what the real one's doing and where living standards are appalling for most people. 

Or Burma where the military still call the shots.

Or numerous African countries controlled by once elected despots who grip onto power with military support; changing constitutions at will.

As a farang, what direct impact as the Junta had on you? How were things better for you under the corrupt Shin regimes?

Yes, we'd all like to see a democratically elected, non corrupt, law abiding, government working for the people and not thieving vast amounts for themselves.

But Juntas and Shin kleptocracies aren't likely to deliver that.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, webfact said:

The junta must revoke all these orders, Pheu Thai insisted, and parties must instead be governed by the organic law on political parties.

Why, It was because of Pheu Thai the Army stepped in, So why would they listen to anything they said? They are like a drunk thrown out of a bar trying to get back in while still drunk and want a fight! Time the bouncer gave him a slap and send him on his way, in an ambulance if needed

• Like 1

3 hours ago, robblok said:

Here on the outskirts of BKK there has been a lot of changes, BTS opening, big shopping centers opening (Central, IKEA, Makro)

Which is fine if you live in or near a big city but BKK and its suburbs are not representative of the whole of Thailand.

Big shopping malls are great if you are earning enough to use them but not everybody does. Where I live is 400km from the BTS, 125 km from the nearest airport or railway station.

The nearest Central store is 180km away, IKEA is probably BKK and Makro opened a few years ago, We did get a Robinsons/Tops open in Khampaeng Phet last year and it was very busy during December but it IS expensive for Thais and is not that well patronised anymore.

1 minute ago, billd766 said:

Which is fine if you live in or near a big city but BKK and its suburbs are not representative of the whole of Thailand.

Big shopping malls are great if you are earning enough to use them but not everybody does. Where I live is 400km from the BTS, 125 km from the nearest airport or railway station.

The nearest Central store is 180km away, IKEA is probably BKK and Makro opened a few years ago, We did get a Robinsons/Tops open in Khampaeng Phet last year and it was very busy during December but it IS expensive for Thais and is not that well patronised anymore.

They clearly are not representative of the whole of Thailand, I never said that just said things improved for me here.

These shops of course only open in places where there are enough clients. So I understand they won't pop up around your area. 

Personally I don't think governments can do that much, they should just try to stimulate the economy if possible, and in case of corrupt countries combat corruption so not to much tax money is lost.

They should also provide infrastructure and affordable education, other then that people should mainly depend on themselves not handouts. 

Just my 2 cents how I think of governments. I don't think my life or that of most Thais will change much if the PTP get in power, the only ones who might benefit are the farmers who want handouts.

7 minutes ago, robblok said:

They clearly are not representative of the whole of Thailand, I never said that just said things improved for me here.

These shops of course only open in places where there are enough clients. So I understand they won't pop up around your area. 

Personally I don't think governments can do that much, they should just try to stimulate the economy if possible, and in case of corrupt countries combat corruption so not to much tax money is lost.

They should also provide infrastructure and affordable education, other then that people should mainly depend on themselves not handouts. 

Just my 2 cents how I think of governments. I don't think my life or that of most Thais will change much if the PTP get in power, the only ones who might benefit are the farmers who want handouts.

IMHO and from talking to Thai friends in the area they know that whoever is in power makes little or no difference here.

During the last couple of years I have come to see how Thaksin gained so many voters, Simply by promising them something and delivering some of his promises.

The current government can't hold a candle to him. Much as I dislike him personally some of his ideas and projects did actually work. This PM will probably be the next PM as the other parties are too fragmented and more interested in fighting each other than banding together to fight the current government.

Divide and conquer still works.

As for fighting corruption this current government is big on words and very small on action, even after 4 years.

21 minutes ago, billd766 said:

IMHO and from talking to Thai friends in the area they know that whoever is in power makes little or no difference here.

During the last couple of years I have come to see how Thaksin gained so many voters, Simply by promising them something and delivering some of his promises.

The current government can't hold a candle to him. Much as I dislike him personally some of his ideas and projects did actually work. This PM will probably be the next PM as the other parties are too fragmented and more interested in fighting each other than banding together to fight the current government.

Divide and conquer still works.

As for fighting corruption this current government is big on words and very small on action, even after 4 years.

You are right about the corruption efforts, why do you think i no longer support them. I think the only idea Thaksin had that really worked was the 30bt healthcare.. good idea.. too bad it was not well funded (everyone failed to do that) Toon had to run to fund hospitals.. that is not how it works. I also think corruption will be found in government hospitals.

8 hours ago, robblok said:

This junta is relatively benign

That may be more a measure of how extensively the military since 1933 has succeeded in a psychological subjugation of the Thai people - the Stockholm Syndrome comes to mind on a grand scale.

"Benign" should not be confused with inaction through the constant threat of human rights violations, financial ruin and personal harm. It is not benign when the military has unchecked power and frequently exercises it as it exempts itself from Thai laws, regulations constitution.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, mrmicbkktxl said:

the EC called the election invalid

Just a minor correction as in the long run it matters little. It was the Constitutional Court that invalidated the February 2014 election. The third time it has done so I believe since it was created.

In fact after the CC invalidated the election, the EC and Yingluck regime had planned for a new election in June 2014. Coincidentally, there was a military coup in May 2014! That means it will have been about seven years before the next election if held in February 2019.

3 hours ago, robblok said:

You are right about the corruption efforts, why do you think i no longer support them. I think the only idea Thaksin had that really worked was the 30bt healthcare.. good idea.. too bad it was not well funded (everyone failed to do that) Toon had to run to fund hospitals.. that is not how it works. I also think corruption will be found in government hospitals.

Don't forget the village funds, now taken over by the current government. It has proved a lifeline to some and a millstone to others.

The money was made available but how it was dispersed and who got it is still down to the Puu Yai Baan.

The premise that there is an election in the foreseeable future is one that should be questioned. Indications are that there are probes to see what the most effective excuse to delay an election with the least amount of kick back have been employed over the past several weeks are obvious. The only thing that will bring about an election are actions like these from the Phew Thai taken by other parties in conjunction with the people flat out demanding an election. The junta is actually hurting itself (their leaderships chance) in their effort to stay in power as they continue to thumb their noses at the Thai people.