UK state pension going same way as Australian ?

41 minutes ago, JAG said:

A hot topic over the last year has been the suggestion that expats should have their state pension rights restricted. Somebody in CCO has obviously looked at what the Aussies are doing because the proposed changes appear very similar to how I understand the Australian system to work.

How do you understand the Australian pension system to work?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Laza 45 said:

The "bit" from my post you quoted was, in turn, a quote from "Hauptman UK's" original post. Really you ought to be asking him.

Personally, I have only a vague idea how the Australian Pension system works, I do know someone from New Zealand who apparently doesn't get a pension at all because he lives here.

1 hour ago, JAG said:

The "bit" from my post you quoted was, in turn, a quote from "Hauptman UK's" original post. Really you ought to be asking him.

Personally, I have only a vague idea how the Australian Pension system works, I do know someone from New Zealand who apparently doesn't get a pension at all because he lives here.

I have explained in a comment above how the Australian system works to the best of my knowledge.. I'm curious as to just what people mean when they say bringing the UK system closer to the Australian way means to them.. as far as I can make out the Australian system is streets ahead of the UK system.. It is far more generous than the UK system, it is indexed to cost of living increases and although for a pensioner living overseas some  of the supplementary benefits are lost it doesn't amount to  much.   Australian pensions are adjusted according to a person's assets...but.. their home is excluded.. no matter what the value and they would have to be very wealthy to lose eligibility to a pension.  Also Australia has had a personal superannuation scheme in place for years to lessen dependence on a government pension.  I have a small Canadian pension and a small private annuity and a small investment account and have been living in Thailand for the 7 years I've been getting the Australian old age pension and I don't loose a lot. The biggest problem is that after living overseas for 5 years they no longer consider you a resident and you loose Medicare cover.. 

• Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/28/2018 at 5:47 PM, Laza 45 said:

I have explained in a comment above how the Australian system works to the best of my knowledge.. I'm curious as to just what people mean when they say bringing the UK system closer to the Australian way means to them.. as far as I can make out the Australian system is streets ahead of the UK system.. It is far more generous than the UK system, it is indexed to cost of living increases and although for a pensioner living overseas some  of the supplementary benefits are lost it doesn't amount to  much.   Australian pensions are adjusted according to a person's assets...but.. their home is excluded.. no matter what the value and they would have to be very wealthy to lose eligibility to a pension.  Also Australia has had a personal superannuation scheme in place for years to lessen dependence on a government pension.  I have a small Canadian pension and a small private annuity and a small investment account and have been living in Thailand for the 7 years I've been getting the Australian old age pension and I don't loose a lot. The biggest problem is that after living overseas for 5 years they no longer consider you a resident and you loose Medicare cover.. 

I did write long detailed comment about The Australian Pension but as I was about to submit it last night I accidentally touched one of the promo frames and it all disappeared.  Not to worry, however I can say if you turn 65.5 years (presently and going up) you are entitled to an aged pension, that is if you are under the assets level and that is different  if you own a house you live in or do not.  If you own a house the threshold is $253.000 approx if, you do not own a house you live in the threshold will be $456.750 and you can get an extra @132 P/F to assist you with your rent.  You must be resident in Australia for 35 year since the age of 16 y/o or a lesser amount if under the 35 year time. (sliding scale)  

The threshold is the amount of assets (or income) you can have before your pension will start to be reduced.  It is enough to say if you have been careful with your money all your life and have saved and not wasted it put it in a retirement Super fund or similar and you are now over the upper limits of the threshold you will get nothing.  Not a cracker and you will be a self funded retiree until you assets are used up enough to bring you back to the threshold.  All political parties in Australia support this situation so getting into the politics of this issue is pointless.  Is it any wonder with these new rules you have to line up at a travel agent to spend that $100,000 on a world trip and thank your lucky stars and take what you are sold "and don't be cheeky" OR YOU''LL HAVE TO WAIT 6 MONTH FOR THE NEXT TRIP. Or go to the end of the line.

The total pension is about $908 P/F made of of $849 pension plus $58 p/f. pension supplement.  The pension is available to all people and no contribution is made by anyone, it is all paid out of consolidated revenue.  You get the pension subject to the assets test even if you have been on the dole and never worked all your life.  Provided you are under the asset and income test.  New rules have come about recently as how you can live overseas in the 1st 2 years...  but you can go on holidays and maybe lose the pension supplement after 6 weeks (the $58 bit),  there are ways 

On this site under Australian Aged Pension sites there are hundreds of pages much of it is advice from people who know very little on this subject and anyone who does know much about this subject usually gets shot down in flames because people asking the question are not getting the answers they want to hear.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-16/pensioners-retiring-overseas-because-they-cant-afford-australia/9762418

Most of the questions on this site are about how to avoid the 2 year period qualifying to go and live in Thailand...lots of people don't like the answer.  It used to be you get the pension, pack your bags and live overseas it's a little bit more complicated now...happy hunting on the 200 or 300 pages of much BS on this subject on this site.  I have written much about my own personal experience on the subject of the aged pension.  All my post I use my real name...I'm happy with that, I still get shot down in flames from time to time.   Happy hunting.

PS this site is about the UK pensions.  If it included Aussie pensions then I think 300 pages would be about right.  (that is fine print)

Edited by David Walden
  • Thanks 1
On 4/28/2018 at 1:57 PM, Laza 45 said:

You study it up, and you study it up, and you study it up on Centrelink web site.  If you just stick to the web site "Aged Pension" it is fairly simple.  I would be happy to help with questions but only with those people who have studied it all up first.  They will mostly see the answer themselves.  Opps back to UK pensions.

Edited by David Walden
2 hours ago, David Walden said:

You study it up, and you study it up, and you study it up on Centrelink web site.  If you just stick to the web site "Aged Pension" it is fairly simple.  I would be happy to help with questions but only with those people who have studied it all up first.  They will mostly see the answer themselves.  Opps back to UK pensions.

I know how the Australian pension system works.. I've been on it for 9 years now..  My question related to the original proposition of this post that the UK pension system is changing to the way the Australian system works.. I don't get the impression that the OP has any idea of how the Australian system works.. 

On 4/6/2018 at 12:23 PM, Rally123 said:

And how much would it cost the UK if all those expats were to return home? I'm sure the UK saves heaps of money due to pensioners living overseas. So to penalise expats and get us to return home is counter productive surely?

Well, if they force all these pensioners to return home and develop all the illnesses that the elderly get and then channel them into the NHS where they reduce the drip feed of free care until the coffin can no longer be dodged... and there's no more pension to be paid, then indeed why not?

Or they can remain in exile, get their pensions cut off and die anyway.

quid pro quo

33 minutes ago, Laza 45 said:

I know how the Australian pension system works.. I've been on it for 9 years now..  My question related to the original proposition of this post that the UK pension system is changing to the way the Australian system works.. I don't get the impression that the OP has any idea of how the Australian system works.. 

By the same token, do you know what the proposed changes to the UK system are?

I'm off to watch the washing machine now.

48 minutes ago, Laza 45 said:

Well I think that many people on this site a fishing for help, I enjoy helping if the correspondents are respectful.

Perhaps it could be wise to look at this Monty Python sketch about the argument clinic. It might help to see how no arguments could be useful on this site 

Edited by David Walden
  • Like 1
15 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

By the same token, do you know what the proposed changes to the UK system are?

I'm off to watch the washing machine now.

I don't. I am no expert on UK pensions but .. but there are a few things that make the Australian system more attractive than the UK system..  are UK pensions tax free?.. I don't think so.. are UK pensions indexed to increases in cost of living?.. I don't think so.. do UK pensioners get the equivalent to $850 ( aprox 474 quid) a fortnight while out of the country.. I could be wrong on this one.. but I don't think so.. 

1 hour ago, Rally123 said:

They are if one lives within the EU.

Yes if your income is less than your tax limit. 

Depends on your contributions over the years of paying tax.

I don't have any direct experience with UK pensions but from conversations with UK expats that I know it seems that they are paying tax on very modest pensions.. and in at least one case a friend who has been living here for many years has a very small pension now..  it seems to me that they would be better off if if UK pensions went the way of Australian pensions.. 

1 hour ago, Rally123 said:

They are if one lives within the EU.

Yes if your income is less than your tax limit. 

Depends on your contributions over the years of paying tax.

I suppose in Aus the Govt has a policy of  "If you can look after yourself quite comfortably well you will just have  to do so, if you able to be self funded".   Most self funded retirees are not happy with this but it does mean no one is required to live in poverty in Aus.  One thing that people forget is that this aged pension and a bit more up to $31500. is not taxed if you are single and over retirement age.  For  couples when using the "offset tax benefit" you can use your partners tax free threshold for you own earnings to give you an an income of up to $58.000 free of tax ( but will effect your Centrelink payments, not much)  And in addition any income from Super retirement payments is tax free on top of that (well not quite).  So if you owned a $5 million house you live in and had 2,3,4, million in super all your income would be tax free.  You don't even have to put a tax return in, however it is best to tell the tax man that you will not be putting a return in (post off a simple form).  Tax returns in Aus are self assessed and if you know your under the threshold don't bother.  The ATO has recently by stealth has imposed a 15% tax on Super Retirement Fund profits where they take the money directly from the fund, much like the 3 card trick.  For a hundred years they have told everyone Super  Retirement payments are tax free.  Well that is still so, instead of taxing the individual they have imposed a tax on the dividends of the retirement funds before you get it, it really it is your money...The ATO can say they did not tax any super individual payments but we did tax you before the dividend was declared.  Very much a trick Robin Hood would be proud of.

Edited by David Walden
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 06/04/2018 at 7:13 PM, Lamkyong said:

please tell what is the Australian method ?? 

An Australian trying to retire in Thailand

look it up in general comments ,,,Basically you have to live in Australia to get your OAP, then ask for potability which you have to fight them for.If you are living overseas you have to return to Australia and live there for 2 years  and re qualify for your pension .In a nutshell this is what happens

On 4/20/2018 at 9:58 PM, gaviny said:

So why isn't dental not subsidized ? Maybe they assumed pensioners are toothless.emoji12.png

Sent from my SM-N9200 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Dental services are very much provided in Australia at a very much subsidised rate but only for low income people or pensioners.  You may have to wait for non urgent things but if you have a tooth ache you will be seen quickly.  The fees will be about equal to 10% of commercial dentists.  In my larger country town in Aus we have a new state of the art hospital with a very well equipped dental facility.  You might be asked to allow advanced students to do the work under supervision with some discussions with the dentist as the treatment progresses, believe it or not I do volunteer and enjoy these experiences, it is all way fun.  I often go to sleep in the chair  with my mouth wide open they take so long.  I have always been able to write a follow up positive account of my experience which goes to assessment at the Uni Dental School.  They sometimes ring me up to volunteer as they often find it hard to get donkeys.

PS...I still do have most of my teeth and a small plate and the cleanest teeth in town.

Edited by David Walden
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, David Walden said:

One thing that people forget is that this aged pension and a bit more up to $31500. is not taxed if you are single and over retirement age. 

Don't try to tell me that the Australian system is better than the UK system!

The UK pension is not means tested. The Australian OAP is means tested. For example, an Aussie on a self-funded retirement of $40,000 per year will not qualify for any OAP. He will pay tax on the $40,000 equivalent to about $9,000, leaving about $31,000 (e.g the same as the 'full' OAP as quoted above), if living in Australia.

If living overseas, he will be taxed at a flat 33%, leaving just $26,800, much less than the tax free OAP quoted as $31,500.

This, despite the fact that the self-funded guy has scrimped and saved for their retirement.

The UK citizen on the equivalent $40,000 self-funded retirement will receive the UK OAP, in full, when they reach the qualifying age.

18 hours ago, kevvy said:

An Australian trying to retire in Thailand

look it up in general comments ,,,Basically you have to live in Australia to get your OAP, then ask for potability which you have to fight them for.If you are living overseas you have to return to Australia and live there for 2 years  and re qualify for your pension .In a nutshell this is what happens .

.. not true... you get a pension depending on your length of stay in Australia.. recently changed to minimum of 10 years.. 5 years working there..  Once you have your pension you can live where you like.. NO problem...  if you are out of the country for more than 5 years you loose your Medicare.. return for 2 years you get it back.. but you can loose again if you are out of the country for more than 6 weeks in that 2 year period..  You do not loose your pension for being out of the country.. just Medicare... your nutshell is a bit cracked.. 

2 hours ago, Stevemercer said:

The UK pension is not means tested. The Australian OAP is means tested. For example, an Aussie on a self-funded retirement of $40,000 per year will not qualify for any OAP. He will pay tax on the $40,000 equivalent to about $9,000, leaving about $31,000 (e.g the same as the 'full' OAP as quoted above), if living in Australia.

If living overseas, he will be taxed at a flat 33%, leaving just $26,800, much less than the tax free OAP quoted as $31,500.

This, despite the fact that the self-funded guy has scrimped and saved for their retirement.

The UK citizen on the equivalent $40,000 self-funded retirement will receive the UK OAP, in full, when they reach the qualifying age.

Sorry... bullshit... well mostly... yes Oz pension is means tested..  BUT.. your place of residence is not counted.. so you can live in a 2 or 3 million $ home and collect a full pension.. and .. you can have 2 or 3 million $ in superannuation.. the income on that is not taxed..  The Australian pension is adjusted for cost of living increases.. the only drawback is that after 5 years out of the country you loose Medicare coverage... but can get it back if you return for 2 years ... not better than the UK... I don't think so..  

Edited by Laza 45
..more information..
5 hours ago, Stevemercer said:

You can have if you wish $40,000 payment from you own super fund in Aus, it will not affect your aged pension or tax.  If you are single and have assets above $456,750 then your pension will be reduced $3 for every $1000 above the the threshold per fortnight.  If you have $556,750 in asset (super is an asset) that is $100,000 over the limit.  Your pension of $907 p/f will be reduced by  $300 p/f or back to $656 p/f.  Super or investments anywhere are assets you have already had tax paid on, it is yours to do what you like with it but you have to tell Centrelink.  Being in a super fund relieves of some tax burdens you may have had to pay if it was outside the fund.  Money received from Super funds is not taxed (hmmm read my previous post) mine is grandfathered.  If you have asset over the limit of $456,750 and you  draw some funds Centrelink must be advised so they can check you are not divesting yourself of assets to increase your pension payments.   Tax requirement thresholds are different once you reach 65.5 y/o and are retired.  Perhaps you should read some of my previous posts.

There are a many ways to avoid the problems you list above like retaining you Australian residency after retirement overseas, like the 31 counties over seas you can live in and receive all your entitlements.  I'm not trying to have an opinion if Australian pension are better then UK pension...you decide.  I know which one I would choose if my assets were modest.  Australia by a country mile. 

The Aussie pension is linked to the Consumer Price Index (CPI) so added amounts influenced with the cost of living are added to your pension no matter where you live twice a year.

PS... I'm sorry Mr Stevemercer you haven't got a clue about Australian pension matters.  You are just wasting my time and others.

Edited by David Walden
3 hours ago, Laza 45 said:

Sorry... bullshit... well mostly... yes Oz pension is means tested..  BUT.. your place of residence is not counted.. so you can live in a 2 or 3 million $ home and collect a full pension.. and .. you can have 2 or 3 million $ in superannuation.. the income on that is not taxed..  The Australian pension is adjusted for cost of living increases.. the only drawback is that after 5 years out of the country you loose Medicare coverage... but can get it back if you return for 2 years ... not better than the UK... I don't think so..  

Yes all true, good boy Laza 45.

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Laza 45 said:

.. not true... you get a pension depending on your length of stay in Australia.. recently changed to minimum of 10 years.. 5 years working there..  Once you have your pension you can live where you like.. NO problem...  if you are out of the country for more than 5 years you loose your Medicare.. return for 2 years you get it back.. but you can loose again if you are out of the country for more than 6 weeks in that 2 year period..  You do not loose your pension for being out of the country.. just Medicare... your nutshell is a bit cracked.. 

You will loose the Pension supplement not the pension after 6 weeks bringing you payments back to about $849 P/F.  Not so bad.

Two major points that came up earlier in the thread:

1. The UK Pension Scheme is largely contributions based as opposed to means tested.

2. It is already restricted when living overseas ,ie, job done.

There would be absolutely no legal grounds for stopping overseas payments as the scheme is not based on residency, nor is it a benefits entitlement.  

The Pension scheme has only just been subject to a major overhaul.  It is enshrined in law: Pensions Act (2014).  Payment to any qualifying member is not optional; it is mandatory.

Edited by mommysboy
5 hours ago, Laza 45 said:

Sorry , I did not explain myself , if you are living out of the country when you get to pension age ... so you have to qualify for the AOP.... Oh , i was born in Aus.my nut shell in still intact

10 hours ago, kevvy said:

Sorry , I did not explain myself , if you are living out of the country when you get to pension age ... so you have to qualify for the AOP.... Oh , i was born in Aus.my nut shell in still intact

Ah.. yes.. I have a friend who was in that situation .. he had been living in Thailand for a few years.. when he reached OAP age he had to return to Oz for 2 years to qualify..

• Like 1

Thank you for your comment and advice Mt David Walden and Laza 45.

The point I was trying to make, and the subject of the original post, was that the UK Government may be looking at means testing the UK pension starting off with UK expats.

I was trying to give an example as to how the means testing of the Australian OAP can result in an expat, who lives quite modestly, not getting the OAP and, in fact, ending up with less under the Australian tax system.

So in this particular circumstance (means testing of the UK OAP) there would quite likely be more than a few UK expats worse off.

If you are arguing that means testing the UK OAP would mean that UK expats are better off, than I am very interested in these arguments.

1 hour ago, Stevemercer said:

Thank you for your comment and advice Mt David Walden and Laza 45.

The point I was trying to make, and the subject of the original post, was that the UK Government may be looking at means testing the UK pension starting off with UK expats.

I was trying to give an example as to how the means testing of the Australian OAP can result in an expat, who lives quite modestly, not getting the OAP and, in fact, ending up with less under the Australian tax system.

So in this particular circumstance (means testing of the UK OAP) there would quite likely be more than a few UK expats worse off.

If you are arguing that means testing the UK OAP would mean that UK expats are better off, than I am very interested in these arguments.

It depends on how the means testing is done.. In Oz the family home is exempt and profits on superannuation are exempt.. result is that one can be very wealthy and still get the OAP.. I don't know what the UK has in mind.. but there seems to be a lot of fear around it from what I've been seeing.. good luck..  Anyone in Australia with a modest income and assets gets the full pension.. or slightly reduced..  I get near full pension and have a small annuity and a small Canadian pension and a modest cash stash in an investment account.. 

• Like 1
On ‎06‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 9:54 PM, HauptmannUK said:

This thread is about pensions, not politics. However expat pensioners are in the main are not 'poor' by most folk's definition.  And I don't wear Brogues - mostly Ecco or Rieker casuals....

I would not support the move to reduce/restrict pensions for expats but I think it will come. Its being successfully applied by other countries with similar pension systems to the UK (Aus, NZ?).  And the savings to the government would substantial.  Moreover it could even be a vote winner since most UK voters seem to display negativity toward expats.  There is certainly support for the current strategy of charging expats for NHS care (150% of the cost I believe).

Most conservatives have no idea what the voters think, that why they come up with these shit policies. I do not think the majority of voters would agree with the Govt not paying up to those who contributed all their life and chose to retire abroad? I paid in all my life and I want my pension end of. Conservatives are on borrowed time anyhow, post Brexit the party will be in more of a mess than it is in now. TM has no chance, her cards are marked already.

On 5/20/2018 at 11:32 AM, Laza 45 said:

Ah.. yes.. I have a friend who was in that situation .. he had been living in Thailand for a few years.. when he reached OAP age he had to return to Oz for 2 years to qualify..

The information discussed on this site and other sites on Thaivisa seem to be mostly how one can go about avoiding residency requirements while living overseas in the 2 years before applying for that pension.  It is worth remembering that 99% of people who apply for an aged pension in Australia with their assets, income and residency being within the requirements, and do not want to live a country that does not have  pensioner exchange agreement with Australia ( not England, France, Thailand etc) will have no problems whatsoever in being granted that pension.  They will be able to have holidays for quite lengthy time overseas.  Life will be just fun.

It is only that 1% that want get around the regulations that this site is mostly concerned about.  99% of Australian Aged Pension recipients are happy with the arrangement with the Australian Government and accept that as things are they are apear to be sustainable...only time will tell with this?

Generally the rule is with the Aus pension is if you have been prudent most of your life and can look after yourself, well you have to do so, you don't get the pension.  If you have not been prudent and wasted you money during your life you will be not have to live in poverty.  If poor you can live on $520 per week,(govt pension with rent assistance) with dignity provided you don't choke yourself to death with cigarettes and alcohol.  You may have to live on the fringe of Sydney or Melbourne or other regional towns with free medical and public transport and other govt and private benefits but you can survive OK.  And yes you can live in Thailand, there are ways.

If you are sick and elderly the government will provide care for you until you pass from this great land.  This is the worst thing that can happen to you if you are an Aussie Pensioner.  The government will look after you till the very end...but not only the Government, many charities, churches and other non-profit organisations will help with great care when the time arrives.  What a great place to live your life.

Edited by David Walden
  • Like 1
45 minutes ago, David Walden said:

The information discussed on this site and other sites on Thaivisa seem to be mostly how one can go about avoiding residency requirements while living overseas in the 2 years before applying for that pension.  It is worth remembering that 99% of people who apply for an aged pension in Australia with their assets, income and residency being within the requirements, and do not want to live a country that does not have  pensioner exchange agreement with Australia ( not England, France, Thailand etc) will have no problems whatsoever in being granted that pension.  They will be able to have holidays for quite lengthy time overseas.  Life will be just fun.

It is only that 1% that want get around the regulations that this site is mostly concerned about.  99% of Australian Aged Pension recipients are happy with the arrangement with the Australian Government and accept that as things are they are apear to be sustainable...only time will tell with this?

Generally the rule is with the Aus pension is if you have been prudent most of your life and can look after yourself, well you have to do so, you don't get the pension.  If you have not been prudent and wasted you money during your life you will be not have to live in poverty.  If poor you can live on $520 per week,(govt pension with rent assistance) with dignity provided you don't choke yourself to death with cigarettes and alcohol.  You may have to live on the fringe of Sydney or Melbourne or other regional towns with free medical and public transport and other govt and private benefits but you can survive OK.  And yes you can live in Thailand, there are ways.

If you are sick and elderly the government will provide care for you until you pass from this great land.  This is the worst thing that can happen to you if you are an Aussie Pensioner.  The government will look after you till the very end...but not only the Government, many charities, churches and other non-profit organisations will help with great care when the time arrives.  What a great place to live your life.

Thanks for your contributions David..