Discouraging the local wildlife.

Crossy

Like many we live surrounded by greenery, lots of greenery.

Of course this greenery has many inhabitants of the scaly, furry, feathered and creepy-crawly kind.

I'm happy to live and let live, provided they stay in the greenery and don't venture into my non-greenery habitation.

This is the thread for the non-lethal methods to encourage the beasties to stay in beastie-land.

1. Moth balls.

Great for moths of course, but they also discourage most other creatures, a couple in your knick-knack cupboards will last ages and prevent the dark areas filling with gecko droppings and eggs. They also work in electronics, but anything with a fan will distribute the aroma, not recommended unless you get high on naphthalene.

20180406_160745.jpg

2. Bead curtains.

We have many small birds living around our home (and in the ends of some of our steel beams). They are largely no trouble and don't make much mess. Or should I say "weren't" and "didn't". Our downstairs is open-plan (no walls) and upstairs, whilst conventional on the wall front, tends to have the doors and windows open 24/7/365. One morning having done my ablutions and headed to the upstairs lounge (which had been open all night) I was greeted by a pair of annoyed sparrows, they were not happy that Wifey had disturbed their nest (no eggs yet) which they had carefully constructed in the pendant light fitting. Installing the woolly bead curtains at all the doors and windows lets the breeze in but the movement discourages our feathered friends from making their homes.

79 Baht in MegaHome, probably available far cheaper if you search.

20180406_160823.jpg

Installed, it's on a bit of 12mm electrical conduit that happened to be in-stock. We have them on the windows too.

20180406_160846.jpg

Let's have your recommendations for non-lethal methods to retain / regain your space.

• Like 2

For me, the moth balls piss off after (I don't know) how long.  My wife bought some bags of <something> to hang around the drapes, etc.  She got them from the drive around guy.  That seems to work for the jing jokes.  They DO NOT like them.

• Like 1

I've just moved into a new house (rented) and the owner has a pest exterminator come every 6 months

He sprays in the shrubbery around the house and gets rid of all the insects.

In the house there are no ants or bugs because there aren't any outside. If I dropped a piece of food on the floor before in 10 minutes the ants arrive. 

Now nothing in the house, side benefit no bugs in the house no food for geckos so they stay away also

First time I've had this in 20 odd years of living here and putting up with all the critters.

Well worth the price.

I believe cobras don't climb over walls. All the ones that have entered our place seem to have come in under the gates. I use to think the dog smell would deter them, but all evidence to the contrary.

I've read about North Americans marking the boundaries around their cabins with their urine to deter bears. Thought it worth investigating for cobras, turns out the neighbors are against that idea!

(Haven't seen a single bear though)

• Haha 2

Not sure if it's the goose poo or the Guinea fowl screeching, but we seem to have a lot less snakes on the property since we got both.. !!

Still get the occasional intruder but that doesn't bother me, unless it turns out to be a 5m cobra, they scare the poo out of me :)

A good sling shot and bullets made from river clay is a fun diversion to keep the neighborhood chickens, dogs, and cats off your property.  I've gotten to be a pretty darn good shot and can pick off a chicken at 20 m just about every time.  These days dogs just don't even try to come in but there's always a new batch of chicken to teach a lesson.

• Like 1

Just to qualify my "sling shot" post... I consider my lawn that dogs dump on and my (wife's) outside cooking area that chickens dump on to be "my" space that they are not allowed to visit.  Even when I miss, these animals know why I am shooting at them.  Even when I hit them there is no trauma or death - well maybe a little trauma.  The diligence works: the neighborhood dogs and chickens continue to invade everyone else but vary rarely do they take on the "sling shot daemon". 

Edited by bankruatsteve
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Old Croc said:

I believe cobras don't climb over walls. All the ones that have entered our place seem to have come in under the gates. I use to think the dog smell would deter them, but all evidence to the contrary.

I've read about North Americans marking the boundaries around their cabins with their urine to deter bears. Thought it worth investigating for cobras, turns out the neighbors are against that idea!

(Haven't seen a single bear though)

They seem able to climb overhanging branches and then drop. 

I have tried a few non-lethal methods including those ultrasonic things to no avail.

Poisoning the hell out of them or, as the mother-in-law does, smoking them with a combination of cow shit and coconut husks seems to work best.

Whatever you do. If you find a nest of gecko eggs (torkay or whatever they are called) don't remove them with a shovel. The stench will kill you.

Growing Lemon Grass in areas around your property seems to work in keeping Snakes away.

For some reason, they dont seem to like the stuff.

I have heard they sense prey by scent and it disrupts this. I'm interested in growing it but wondered where to buy it. Do you know the Thai name for it. Cheers.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app