Is FrontGuard crap at killing dog ticks?

I have 7 Thai mutts and I use it.  I haven't seen any ticks since I started using it years ago, but it's not instantaneous.  It took at least 2-3 months applications before the affects fully  kicked in.  I use it once a month.  The cheapest supplier that I have found is on Lazada.

are you removing them by hand,does the dog live outside,FIND THE SOURCE, keep the dog away from others,ours was diagnosed with parasite infection over three yrs.ago athough we took imediant action not seeing a tick for over 30months,spraying all around the house [bayticol] sadly he passed away just over a month ago.you need to read all the posts in this section this will give you an idea what you are up against.

Cheers people.

Yeah, i reckon it's the house that should always be targeted not the dog. I read just one of those critters can have 5000 eggs.

What's a dog contact friendly solution for the apartment then?

Was just spraying Raid in the cracks and crevices before but that defo dont kill them straight off. Then again maybe that's good as it shows low toxicity. But i get the impression it's not strong enough.

Use Bravecto or NexGard. Numerous posters have had issues with spot ons not working. My in-laws Retriever was on them and ticks remained all over her. 

Also spot ons take 48 hours to kill ticks, where usually the chewables take 12 hours. Resulting in less chances of diseases being passed onto the dog (usually takes up to 24 hours for most diseases). 

If dog is treated sufficiently, and well fed/exercised (immune system is strong), then shouldn't have any worries. Like many parasites, ticks tend to seek out weaker animals. My dog lived with the in-laws dog for 6 months. Both were on different treatments and diets. In-laws dog infested and tested positive to ehrlichiosis. My dog has never had a tick or disease (even though living within the same walls as an infested dog). In-laws saw the difference so switched to Bravecto, 2 months overdue for next treatment yet the dog is still clear. 

The eggs are notoriously difficult to eliminate and as there are reports of some ticks laying up to 20 000 at a go, you have to stay vigilant. They can survive for years as eggs before hatching, will then enthusiastically go looking for a host. 

As I have written a few times, there is no magic bullet, do what ever you can including manual removal, treating the dogs, spraying the house and outside areas (Bayticol). 

We had a massive attack a few years ago, took us a year to get under control and we check regularly, we still find the odd one.

Archived