TENS unit - pain treatment +relief , Anyone use one ?

oldcarguy

Hi ,   I was wondering how a TENS  machine works , 

I know it zaps you with an "electric shock"  but does it actually help "cure"  anything or just mask where it hurts , 

Looking on Google you get reports that it works  and other reports that it does nothing , 

These machines are available from $20 to $200 ,  so is it the quality of the machine or ????

For me , I would mostly use it on an ankle that hurts some times after a long walk , and also a knee  that acts up only a little ., 

Anyway I would like to hear your experiences if you use one

THANKS

Hi ,   I was wondering how a TENS  machine works , 

I know it zaps you with an "electric shock"  but does it actually help "cure"  anything or just mask where it hurts , 

Looking on Google you get reports that it works  and other reports that it does nothing , 

These machines are available from $20 to $200 ,  so is it the quality of the machine or ????

For me , I would mostly use it on an ankle that hurts some times after a long walk , and also a knee  that acts up only a little ., 

Anyway I would like to hear your experiences if you use one

THANKS
I've used a few before and they work for some people and not others. Or should I say 'appear' to work. You just have to try it to see.

They worked for me, but just reduced the pain not eliminated it.

I've got a similar thinggy mounted in my body with leads down my spinal canal. It does interfere with the pain.

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

Primarily it interrupts pain signals thus giving temporary pain relief (which may last several hours or more but not permanent).

Depending on how used they can also help exercise muscle groups which may help address underlying cause of pain that is muscular in origin. For example if you tend to get headaches that are due to tension in neck muscles, regular use might reduce or prevent these headaches.

Also depending on how used,  it may help improve blood flow to specific spots on the body which could help promote healing if there is a recent injury. Help, not in itself cure.

But mainly they provide temporary pain relief and they work well for  that for many people. With none of the side effects associated with pain killers and antinflammatory drugs. Don't however expect a cure.

For your ankle and knee pain you should investigatte what is causing it. There may be stretching exercises that would help address underlying cause.

Archived