In just two years there are 60 unexplained deaths of British nationals in Thailand: report

webfact

10 hours ago, Expatthailover said:

According to lullabytrust there are over 250 unexplained infant deaths pa in the uk every year.

Anyone care to throw some wild accusations re the british police at this?

As far back as 2006 there were over 500 unexplained deaths in the uk mostly in young adults.

X files stuff or shall we blame the police for this stat or hey better still blame british people

Did those 60  millions  Brits come to Thailand?

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

To give the 60 a bit more perspective:

Death in the UK in 2016:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/datasets/deathregistrationssummarytablesenglandandwalesreferencetables

V01-X59

Accidents M 8,319
    F 5,729
R99 Other ill-defined and unspecified M 758
  causes of mortality F

F00-F99 Mental and behavioural disorders M 16,700
    F

And these figures would be  very accurate, ok so now  can you show us the  "very accurate" figures for Thailand?

14 hours ago, leeneeds said:

Shoddy investigations no doubt, it happens all over, the world,

Insurance , is never given a thought and if it is , then so easily dismissed, 

insurance to travel should be the law the world over,  death coverage being part of such insurance, 

How does insurance solve the problem of shoddy investigations?

15 hours ago, webfact said:

The news site claims that the number of unexplained deaths “indicate a pattern of criminal behaviour, botched detective work — and, worst of all, police cover-ups”, in a bid to preserve Thailand’s tourism image.

And this surprises anybody?

If there are 60 British Nationals unexplained deaths, a more important number might be that including other visiting Nationals.

14 hours ago, leeneeds said:

Shoddy investigations no doubt, it happens all over, the world,

Insurance , is never given a thought and if it is , then so easily dismissed, 

insurance to travel should be the law the world over,  death coverage being part of such insurance, 

Insurance against death? Well thought out!

14 hours ago, dabhand said:

Rather ironic that TV are using an article from the DM as the basis for this 'news' story.

Yet posters linking to any DM article is seen as being against the current block on accessing the DM in Thailand (even though it can be viewed via certain ISPs and also by use of the DM app, not to mention that other three letter method) and not allowed.:whistling:

Yes this is strange - however I buy the Daily Mail newspaper every day here in Phuket!!!

You wanna go somewhere thats actually unsafe, try jumping in a taxi in mexico city after midnight. sure youll probably be fine but im just making a point that thailand is a complete kindergarden when it comes to saftey on a world stage. if you dont know that you havent "gotten out much".

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

And this surprises anybody?

If there are 60 British Nationals unexplained deaths, a more important number might be that including other visiting Nationals.

I'm not sure what you want here but UK tourists to Thailand equal just under 1 mill per year.

13 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

Anyone who has lived in Thailand for more than a few months understands how the system works here.

There are people above the law, and you can always buy your way out of trouble. There is no real justice system , it a corrupt system from top to bottom.

The accepted wisdom from many on TVF is that it's all the RTP. I would argue the corruption goes much much deeper.

The Thai apologists can, and will slam you for any criticism of Thailand, but in their heart they know it's true, often the fanatic harbors true doubt.

Not being British, I know nothing about the Daily Mail, above what I read on here. But, I suspect that they are actually real journalists unhindered by the restrictions of Thai LM or defamation laws.

Mostly rubbish!

Anyone living in Thailand for more than only a few months will be very lucky if they are able to do more than scratch the surface of this issue, let alone understand it.

There are people above the law but they are 99.9% Thai's, sometimes they can buy themselves out of trouble but not always.

The justice system here actually works quite well in many areas but in order to understand that point you'd need to have had some form of contact with it rather than just develop your opinion on this from the chap on the next bar stool. 

Anyone who uses the term Thai Apologist is announcing that they aren't prepared to listen to any other argument than their own, they are heading off opponents early by suggesting such farangs have gone native and aren't to be trusted!

Your suspicion about the Daily Mail is about as useful as your opinions about the Thai judiciary, here's one example amongst hundreds: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/feb/08/wikipedia-bans-daily-mail-as-unreliable-source-for-website

3 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

Mostly rubbish!

Anyone living in Thailand for more than only a few months will be very lucky if they are able to do more than scratch the surface of this issue, let alone understand it.

There are people above the law but they are 99.9% Thai's, sometimes they can buy themselves out of trouble but not always.

The justice system here actually works quite well in many areas but in order to understand that point you'd need to have had some form of contact with it rather than just develop your opinion on this from the chap on the next bar stool. 

Anyone who uses the term Thai Apologist is announcing that they aren't prepared to listen to any other argument than their own, they are heading off opponents early by suggesting such farangs have gone native and aren't to be trusted!

Your suspicion about the Daily Mail is about as useful as your opinions about the Thai judiciary, here's one example amongst hundreds: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/feb/08/wikipedia-bans-daily-mail-as-unreliable-source-for-website

Here we go, the apologists were destined to chime in

Good luck with this. I suggest you put on the rose colored specs, and aggressively pull that wool down over your eyes

14 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

Anyone who has lived in Thailand for more than a few months understands how the system works here.

There are people above the law, and you can always buy your way out of trouble. There is no real justice system , it a corrupt system from top to bottom.

The accepted wisdom from many on TVF is that it's all the RTP. I would argue the corruption goes much much deeper.

The Thai apologists can, and will slam you for any criticism of Thailand, but in their heart they know it's true, often the fanatic harbors true doubt.

Not being British, I know nothing about the Daily Mail, above what I read on here. But, I suspect that they are actually real journalists unhindered by the restrictions of Thai LM or defamation laws.

I accept you are not "English' but please if you are going to use abbreviations then at least explain what they mean as there are many like you who do not understand them. When writing in English then there should be at least one reference to their full meaning, basic 101.

13 minutes ago, DGS1244 said:

I accept you are not "English' but please if you are going to use abbreviations then at least explain what they mean as there are many like you who do not understand them. When writing in English then there should be at least one reference to their full meaning, basic 101.

Thai Visa Forum

Royal Thai Police

Lese Majeste

Laugh out loud

19 minutes ago, DGS1244 said:

DTIA

?

16 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

I think you will find the DM isn't blocked any more, the link in the OP goes straight through.

I think you will find, if you type the URL directly into your browser. it will be blocked.

14 hours ago, Expatthailover said:

According to lullabytrust there are over 250 unexplained infant deaths pa in the uk every year.

Anyone care to throw some wild accusations re the british police at this?

As far back as 2006 there were over 500 unexplained deaths in the uk mostly in young adults.

X files stuff or shall we blame the police for this stat or hey better still blame british people

Err, we are on a Thai Forum here talking about unexplained deaths in Thailand. What does that have to do with deaths in the UK. Seems you're okay with the number of unexplained deaths in Thailand. I assume you don't know any of the victims and their families.

A lot of these deaths involve young people doing, frankly, daft things. Swimming after "partying", riding motorcycles drunk, and so on.

Yes, there are suspicious deaths -and cover ups/incompetency in investigations, but at least three of the deaths mentioned above were absolutely explainable, and not "murders abroad".

That Thailand is statistically a dangerous place to visit for young Britons and no doubt other westerners is because it is relatively easy to do dangerous, silly things, when drunk or otherwise under the influence...

14 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

The DM. Is a hate ridden rag. Not real journalism. 

5 minutes ago, JAG said:

A lot of these deaths involve young people doing, frankly, daft things. Swimming after "partying", riding motorcycles drunk, and so on.

Yes, there are suspicious deaths -and cover ups/incompetency in investigations, but at least three of the deaths mentioned above were absolutely explainable, and not "murders abroad".

That Thailand is statistically a dangerous place to visit for young Britons and no doubt other westerners is because it is relatively easy to do dangerous, silly things, when drunk or otherwise under the influence...

I would argue that if the statistics were normalised by removing deaths resulting from motorbike and road traffic accidents from the totals, the number of deaths in Thailand is likely comparable to any other popular tourist destination that has a similar profile.

14 hours ago, the guest said:

Daily Mail is just a crappy UK tabloid exploiting or indeed sensationalizing news. I would take most of the stuff published with a very large pinch of salt.

Please see this website. The first two deaths in 2017:

The first victim who committed suicide was found near the place where his family stayed?

The second victim, who'd just arrived back from England was found hanged in a luxury property? Wife said he committed suicide. 

https://www.farang-deaths.com/archive/#anchor

Archived