Taxi Meter Charging Fixed Price?!

nikster

I like to take taxi meters, and today was going to try it out for the first time.

The taxis are red&yellow painted, have a big TAXi-METER sign on top, and a phone number on the back.

However, they were asking us for 120 baht to go from Airport Center to the city center. I asked about the meter sign and the driver looked as if he didn't even know what that was.

Then I called the number on the back to complain and found that was the driver's cell phone. They all have _different_ numbers on the back!

We asked two different drivers, same for both of them.

Are there real taxi meters in town? Is there a place to complain to if they won't go by meter? Were these fakes (parked in front of Central Airport)?

Or... TIT?

The whole reason I like taxi meters is because I don't like to negotiate the price. I want to get in and go.

If you were going further, using the meter probably wouldn't have been a problem (as I have done from Airport Plaza numerous times).

My guess (just a guess) is that the fixed fare is a result of them having to pay "parking fees" in order to be sitting at Airport Plaza in the first place. It's the same with Songteows/Tuk Tuk's there too - the ones parked up inside the mall grounds have ludicrous prices, but if you stroll over to the street and get one off the road it's normal fare.

TiT, AT, <deleted>, etc.

a taxi which is yellow and red painted is most likely a bangkok taxi. chiang mai ones are blue and yellow.

I've seen two red and yellow taxis getting about, and both have Chiangmai plates. Not saying all red & yellows are from Chiangers, but at least two of them are.

Edited by BlissfullyIgnorant

If you were going further, using the meter probably wouldn't have been a problem (as I have done from Airport Plaza numerous times).

My guess (just a guess) is that the fixed fare is a result of them having to pay "parking fees" in order to be sitting at Airport Plaza in the first place. It's the same with Songteows/Tuk Tuk's there too - the ones parked up inside the mall grounds have ludicrous prices, but if you stroll over to the street and get one off the road it's normal fare.

TiT, AT, <deleted>, etc.

The first thing the wife taught me. :o

a taxi which is yellow and red painted is most likely a bangkok taxi. chiang mai ones are blue and yellow.

I've seen two red and yellow taxis getting about, and both have Chiangmai plates. Not saying all red & yellows are from Chiangers, but at least two of them are.

###### bangers ! cant they just stick to the chiang mai colours?? :o

and BI, what they hel_l you doing spending time looking at taxi registration plates??? :D

Even if one is unable to read Thai, it is not so difficult to learn how to recognize the word for "Chiang Mai" and the one for "Bangkok" on license plates, or at least to contrast them:

license-plate-chiang-mai.jpg

Chiang Mai เชียงใหม่

AA029.JPG

Krungthepmahanakorn (i.e. Bangkok's official name in Thai) กรุงเทพมหานคร

(clue: word length and absence of squiggles on top in กรุงเทพมหานคร)

Ah - I knew the ones inside were overpriced but thanks for explaining why. At least it makes sense. Kind of :D

TiT, AT, <deleted>, etc.

:o

Even if one is unable to read Thai, it is not so difficult to learn how to recognize the word for "Chiang Mai" and the one for "Bangkok" on license plates, or at least to contrast them:

Chiang Mai เชียงใหม่

AA029.JPG

True, but what if they had been from Chiangrai?

OK, bad example given the topic, just having fun :o

Chiang Mai เชียงใหม่

AA029.JPG

True, but what if they had been from Chiangrai?

OK, bad example given the topic, just having fun :D

was thinking the same ! :o

I always read the registration plate on the car in front of me, just out of pure curiousity to see where they are from.

Our two provinces to the south, Lampang and Lamphun start off the same way too, but end differently.

ลำปาง.....Lampang

ลำพูน......Lamphun