VFS Charges

Just got g/f's passport back with UK Visitor's Visa for June. Thank you. At Trendy she paid Bht 85 for an SMS which never arrived, and Bht 280 for courier service by VFS. Arrived today by EMS, had to go to local office to pick it up. Cost to send...Bht 42. OK, Bht 10 for the jiffy bag and Bht 10 for the wages of someone to put it in same bag. Total rip off. And the fact that I had to pay for a BRITISH Visa in AMERICAN dollars also gets up my bugle...£95 !!!!!!

Edited by wgdanson
  • Like 1

I have never heard of the sms messages not being sent... one when the decision is made, and one when received back at VfS from the embassy.

Do you think that the paperwork puts itself in the envelope and takes itself to the post office? You could have saved 280 Baht by collecting yourself!!

Nothing left to complain about now ?, well done in getting the visa and I hope the GF enjoys the UK.

1 minute ago, Jip99 said:

You could have saved 280 Baht by collecting yourself!!

Diesel to and from P'lok, Bht 1500, BTS and parking at Mo Chit Bht 400, and a foot-long for her at 7/11 on the way. Yep, your'e right. I did add Bht 10 for putting in envelope, forgot another Bht 10 for taking it, together with many more , to Post Office. She WILL enjoy UK, and Italy if Schengen Visa is issued. 

32 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Diesel to and from P'lok, Bht 1500, BTS and parking at Mo Chit Bht 400, and a foot-long for her at 7/11 on the way. Yep, your'e right. I did add Bht 10 for putting in envelope, forgot another Bht 10 for taking it, together with many more , to Post Office. She WILL enjoy UK, and Italy if Schengen Visa is issued. 

Ha Ha... khee niaao.....

• Haha 1

I have never heard of the sms messages not being sent... one when the decision is made, and one when received back at VfS from the embassy

I have, when my wife applied for a visa last year she specifically told them she didn’t want their SMS service as the UKVI advise that a decision has been made by email.
They still charged her though, she assumed it was for something else, then they didn’t send the SMS’s.
Hardly worth the bother of complaining for such a small amount but she did hoping that they might learn from their error, seems they haven’t.
They apologised and refunded the fee, from a bank in Germany.

5 hours ago, Jip99 said:

well done in getting the visa

It should not have to be 'well done' though. It should be an easy formality for genuine applicants, especially when it is your FOURTH time. Why the <deleted> do they have to take fingerprints and photos again, they should be stored on their computer together with all previous details of visa applications, and issues, and immigration dates.

7 hours ago, wgdanson said:

It should not have to be 'well done' though. It should be an easy formality for genuine applicants, especially when it is your FOURTH time. Why the <deleted> do they have to take fingerprints and photos again, they should be stored on their computer together with all previous details of visa applications, and issues, and immigration dates.

Believe it or not, there are people who are dishonest and will use a third party's identity in order to try and obtain a visa or entry to another country, whether with that third party's knowledge and collusion or not. The whole and only purpose of biometric passports, visas, residence documents etc. is to combat this fraud.

Obviously, this means genuine applicants have to give their biometrics each time they apply so that UKVI can check against their records to ensure, as much as is possible, that they are the genuine applicant and not some criminal who has stolen their identity.

Information previously given needs to be given again for the same reason; to prevent personation and fraud.

As this is your girlfriend's fourth application, has she considered a longer term next time. I wouldn't go for 2 years, not worth it IMHO, but a five or even ten year one.

I agree with your sentiments over charging a fee set by Parliament in Sterling in USD at a rate favourable to the Home Office; an outrage which has been discussed many times here. The pathetic excuse sent to me when this was first introduced is attached for your and other's amusement. Note that it took them 4 months to come up with that rubbish!

Visa fees in USD.doc

• Like 2

It's an overpriced and over complicated routine and many have jumped onto the gravy train. It is unavoidable if one wishes to take the GF/partner to your home country. Thankfully I have done the trip, some years ago when it was complicated enough, but not as bad as modern times. She doesn't really want to go again. I look forward to the day the UK removes the need for Thais to have Visas, after all, I see them as less of a concern than many from European origins!

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, 7by7 said:

Believe it or not, there are people who are dishonest and will use a third party's identity in order to try and obtain a visa or entry to another country, whether with that third party's knowledge and collusion or not. The whole and only purpose of biometric passports, visas, residence documents etc. is to combat this fraud.

Obviously, this means genuine applicants have to give their biometrics each time they apply so that UKVI can check against their records to ensure, as much as is possible, that they are the genuine applicant and not some criminal who has stolen their identity.

Information previously given needs to be given again for the same reason; to prevent personation and fraud.

As this is your girlfriend's fourth application, has she considered a longer term next time. I wouldn't go for 2 years, not worth it IMHO, but a five or even ten year one.

I agree with your sentiments over charging a fee set by Parliament in Sterling in USD at a rate favourable to the Home Office; an outrage which has been discussed many times here. The pathetic excuse sent to me when this was first introduced is attached for your and other's amusement. Note that it took them 4 months to come up with that rubbish!

Visa fees in USD.doc

Currently in Thailand it is only possible for customers to pay for their visa in US dollars although we expect further currency options to be made available as we progress.   This is from the letter you kindly attached, written in 2014. Does this mean that they have not progressed since then. B..locks.

5 hours ago, 7by7 said:

As this is your girlfriend's fourth application, has she considered a longer term next time. I wouldn't go for 2 years,

And neither would I, 5 weeks will be plenty, see my folks, get a few decent pints in, go to Italy (Visa allowing) and the back to LOS, my own house, car, sunshine, home-made vino, cheap(er) food, diesel, etc etc. Had 60 years in UK, that was enough.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, wgdanson said:

And neither would I, 5 weeks will be plenty, see my folks, get a few decent pints in, go to Italy (Visa allowing) and the back to LOS, my own house, car, sunshine, home-made vino, cheap(er) food, diesel, etc etc. Had 60 years in UK, that was enough.

I think that 7by7 is referring to the visas with a two or five validity, neither of which allow holders to stay in the UK for that length of time, just the six months that are allowed with the shorter validity visa.

My wife went for, and was issued with a five year visa which means she could travel at short notice should the need arise, without going through the application process again for the next five years. Probably not very cost effective unless you intend travelling to the UK a lot, but we thought the peace of mind was worth it. 

15 hours ago, wgdanson said:

15 hours ago, wgdanson said:

i agree  but as you know boxes have to be seen to be ticked  even more so in Thailand

10 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

I think that 7by7 is referring to the visas with a two or five validity, neither of which allow holders to stay in the UK for that length of time, just the six months that are allowed with the shorter validity visa.

My wife went for, and was issued with a five year visa which means she could travel at short notice should the need arise, without going through the application process again for the next five years. Probably not very cost effective unless you intend travelling to the UK a lot, but we thought the peace of mind was worth it. 

A longer validity visa (with same maximum stay) more expensive? That's insane. The EU's approach  (Schengen) is more sensable: bonafitw travellers with a positive travel history should get a visa valid for 2-5 years (maximum stay per visit is still 90 days) and that should be done on the inititive of the member state (but a traveller can also request it). This saves the member state and traveller both paperwork, time, hassle and money. Overall it's ost effective to hand out long validity visas. Right now Schengen members are only suggested to do so but the plan is to make it mandatory  (some members seem reluctant to issue long term MEV). UK visas and their obstacles (outsourcing all they can, having to pay for pretty much any 'service' etc)... it's insane. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Computers for Thais, unlike uniforms, noise, and common sense,  are just not compatible. 

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Computers for Thais, unlike uniforms, noise, and common sense,  are just not compatible. 

For "Thais" read "Home Office" since they alone are responsible for this particular piece of bureaucratic nonsense.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, wgdanson said:

2 hours ago, theoldgit said:

Indeed. A, for example, ten year visit visa does not allow the holder to spend ten years in the UK, but it does mean that they can visit the UK as often and for as long as they wish during that period. As long as they do not spend more than 6 months in the UK per visit nor use the visa for de facto UK residence through frequent and successive visits; such as many Westerners do in Thailand via border runs.

2 hours ago, Donutz said:

A longer validity visa (with same maximum stay) more expensive? That's insane.

The two year one certainly is, which is why I wouldn't go for one.  The five year one is a bit more expensive than 5 x 6 months ones; but worth it to save the hassle of regular applications plus, of course, UK visa fees increase each year so it'll probably work out cheaper in the long run. The 10 year one is definitely cheaper.

Current fees:-

6 months - £93.

2 years - £350

5 years - £636

10 years - £798

Payable, as discussed above, in USD!

BTW, wgdanson, your girlfriends UK visa should be multiple entry as all UK visit visas are unless there is a definite reason to limit the number of entries (to check, it should say 'Mult') so she can certainly return to the UK after a trip to Italy; assuming her Italian Schengen visa application is successful.

2 hours ago, 7by7 said:

Indeed. A, for example, ten year visit visa does not allow the holder to spend ten years in the UK, but it does mean that they can visit the UK as often and for as long as they wish during that period. As long as they do not spend more than 6 months in the UK per visit nor use the visa for de facto UK residence through frequent and successive visits; such as many Westerners do in Thailand via border runs.

The two year one certainly is, which is why I wouldn't go for one.  The five year one is a bit more expensive than 5 x 6 months ones; but worth it to save the hassle of regular applications plus, of course, UK visa fees increase each year so it'll probably work out cheaper in the long run. The 10 year one is definitely cheaper.

Current fees:-

6 months - £93.

2 years - £350

5 years - £636

10 years - £798

Payable, as discussed above, in USD!

BTW, wgdanson, your girlfriends UK visa should be multiple entry as all UK visit visas are unless there is a definite reason to limit the number of entries (to check, it should say 'Mult') so she can certainly return to the UK after a trip to Italy; assuming her Italian Schengen visa application is successful.

Thanks, it IS a multi entry.

UK visit visas are generally multi-entry whereas most Schengen visas are single entry for tourist purposes. Multi-entry ones can be applied for but each stay is generally a maximum of 90 days out of 180 days.

Both systems have good points and bad!

If this trip is likely to be a one off then go for the six month one. If visits are going to be more numerous then a longer one may be more appropriate.

Payment in USD is a very odd choice but one UKVI are clearly happy with as they have not bothered increasing the number of payment currencies since 2014.

UKVI are being branded unfit for purpose in the UK at present. I tend to agree this is the case at times. Thankfully most applications go through but it does make you wonder how many fraudulent ones get through! This would be for another thread!! 

Why is it better go to VFS than the embassy? I have applied only one time for my gf and that time I went to the Swedish embassy. I am now going to apply again and it look like the embassy wants us to go to VFS. But if we like we can still go to the embassy but only on Fridays. It looks like it is 500 THB cheaper at the embassy but are there other atvantages if having all papers ready for handing over?

8 hours ago, Captor said:

Why is it better go to VFS than the embassy? I have applied only one time for my gf and that time I went to the Swedish embassy. I am now going to apply again and it look like the embassy wants us to go to VFS. But if we like we can still go to the embassy but only on Fridays. It looks like it is 500 THB cheaper at the embassy but are there other atvantages if having all papers ready for handing over?

This thread is in respect of a person applying for a visa to visit the UK, for such visas a visit to a Visa Application Centre is compulsory, it's only only for Schengen countries that the option to submit applications directly to the Consualtes Visa Section, though other countries outside of the EU may also allow this.

On 4/11/2018 at 7:26 PM, wgdanson said:

I am with you on everything you have said. My wife never paid the 85 baht, just the 280. That is up from 250 last year, since when was inflation in Thailand over 10%.

You are quite right about the data, details of deceased relatives, expired passports,previous travel, previous visas do not change, should all be stored for reuse rather than keyed in on every application. At the end of the day they do not want to spend money on helping people they do not want in the first place.

A couple of years ago I did a visa application for my wife to go to Canada. That was a genuine online application and designed to take repetition out of future applications. Not only that, visa validity was to the expiry of passport, about three and a half years. Puts the UK way of doing things to shame.

• Like 1

Anecdotally it appears that each application is given a matter of minutes consideration. Each one is a separate application but previous application history is easily accessed by the ECO.

Peoples lives can change dramatically between applications so I can understand it would be easier to deal with each application afresh.  If you have kept a copy of previous applications it should be easy to copy the bits that have not changed across.

I don't believe the way UKVI works is that bad in principle. I do have doubts regarding the quality of some processing! 

On 12/04/2018 at 11:36 AM, possum1931 said:

Why the saddo? OK, Thais hate wearing uniforms, they can't stand noise, and have lots of common sense.

Is that us friends now?:biggrin:

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Captor said:

Processing time might be faster, VFS sent the paperwork to the embassy. At the embassy a European MFA official decides over visas.  So if you hand it in at the embassy it could go straight to the visa officer (back office) without delay. 

That and in rare/complicated applications you could escalate and ask for a (senior) embassy official . Were as VFS just has basic training. Which is no problemfor straightforward applications but could be for those who don't meet the standard checklist/template (and thus require escalation to a more skilled person).

2 hours ago, Donutz said:

Processing time might be faster, VFS sent the paperwork to the embassy. At the embassy a European MFA official decides over visas.  So if you hand it in at the embassy it could go straight to the visa officer (back office) without delay. 

That and in rare/complicated applications you could escalate and ask for a (senior) embassy official . Were as VFS just has basic training. Which is no problemfor straightforward applications but could be for those who don't meet the standard checklist/template (and thus require escalation to a more skilled person).

Thank you very much, Donutz!

Very helpful information! After reading this I will for sure go to the Swedish embassy instead. I think that the application is straightforward but who knows... also there was different information about photos. VFS said 2 photos and the Embassy says 1 photo. That make me wonder what more is not correct of course.

On 4/13/2018 at 11:15 PM, Captor said:

Thank you very much, Donutz!

Very helpful information! After reading this I will for sure go to the Swedish embassy instead. I think that the application is straightforward but who knows... also there was different information about photos. VFS said 2 photos and the Embassy says 1 photo. That make me wonder what more is not correct of course.

Always have a pack of six photos, you never know who will ask for one.

Edited by wgdanson

On 4/13/2018 at 8:42 PM, Donutz said:

Why is it better go to VFS than the embassy?

The Italian Embassy do not have a courier service to send the passport back. So unless I want another 900km/Bht2000 journey,  go to VFS. Although Embassy Bht 2300, VFS 3000.

Edited by wgdanson
  • Like 1

That is of course an issue to look into too. But my gf lives in BKK so I don´t think that is a problem to go to the embassy. And in 6 weeks I will be in Bangkok as well so maybe it will be a nice sightseeing trip in that area of BKK when pickin it up from the embassy. And that time I will also ask them about that. As you say, it is bothersome to travel in Thailand. Inside Bangkok as well as outside. So if they not have that we will use VFS NEXT time for Visa. Next time it will probably be more easy if they see that they recently have approved Visa no. 1. Or  not :-)

Thanks for your input.

• Like 1