Payment With Postal Stamps

Acquiesce

Are postage stamps legal tender in Thailand.

i.e. if you had the correct value of postage stamps could you pay for a beer or taxi with them.

For example in England they are legal tender and buy law must be accepted as payment for goods or services if offered and in-fact i once caught a public bus as a kid using a second class stamp as payment (even got change).

How do you think payment of B47 worth of postage stamps or part payment in stamps and the remainder in cash for a B47 taxi fare would go down with a Bangkok taxi driver and if he refused and it ended up in a dispute with the police would you be able to argue the case with sucsess? :o

What do you think?

Taxi drivers in Bangkok are also required by Thai law 7.11 to accept those little silver stamps you get for purchases in the 7-11 stores.

PB I know that was a joke but i think you may find that a Thai postage stamp is indeed legal tender within the Kingdom.

Taxi drivers in Bangkok are also required by Thai law 7.11 to accept those little silver stamps you get for purchases in the 7-11 stores.

PB I know that was a joke but i think you may find that a Thai postage stamp is indeed legal tender within the Kingdom.

Strange because 25 and 50 satang coins are not even accepted by most people!

Strange because 25 and 50 satang coins are not even accepted by most people!

That is so true of the UK I had a little off white cousin who didnt feel like flying..

Posted herself all over the UK with postage stamps..

She did say some of the posties bags were a bit rank.. :o

You could ask the shifty gents who control the taxis in Suk Soi 11. Everything is negotiable there, try running out of your hotel with a suit case at 5am screaming "Quick Quick, the Airport" and you will see negotiation taken to new heights. The might give you credit of five satang in the baht on your stamps.

i.e. if you had the correct value of postage stamps could you pay for a beer or taxi with them.

For example in England they are legal tender and buy law must be accepted as payment for goods or services if offered and in-fact i once caught a public bus as a kid using a second class stamp as payment (even got change).

Yeah right. Try paying for that beer you just ordered from your UK local with stamps and see how long it takes to get thrown out. All shops, pubs etc are also required to serve you free tap water if you ask, regardless of whether you are a customer. Maybe you could test this one also, probably safer than paying your local tuk-tuk mafia with stamps

Postage stamps in the UK are not legal tender. If a shopkeeper is willing to accept stamps as part (or whole) payment, he can do so but this does not make it legal tender By the same token, I can offer to pay my publican in sacks of horse manure for a couple of pints. There is no law stating that "in England they are legal tender and buy (sic) law must be accepted as payment for goods or services if offered" as you suggest. If you offered to pay your 99p bus fare in 1 & 2p coins you may be refused. If you see that latest super-dooper computer in you local computer shop mis-priced at £9-99 and not £999-99, you do not have a legal right to buy it at that price.

Legal Tender in the United Kingdom is defined as a " means of payment that should not be refused by a creditor in satisfaction of a debt."

Legal tender is in a somewhat confused state in the United Kingdom, and has been for many years, possibly for the entire existence of the Union.

To summarise:

English notes, issued by the Bank of England (and in times gone by occasionally the Treasury), are legal tender only in England, Wales, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man. This is because under the Currency and Bank Notes Act 1954 (before decimalisation of the currency, when each pound was worth significantly more than it is now), Bank of England notes were only legal tender in Scotland for values under £5. Now, the lowest denomination note that they issue is the £5 note.

Scottish notes, as issued by the Royal Bank of Scotland, the Bank of Scotland, and the Clydesdale Bank, are not legal tender anywhere, including Scotland.

Notes from Northern Ireland, similar to Scottish notes, are not legal tender anywhere including Northern Ireland itself.

Coins, of all denominations, are legal tender all over the United Kingdom, with certain caveats.

1p and 2p coins are legal tender up to the value of 20p;

5p and 10p coins are legal tender up to the value of £5;

20p and 50p coins are legal tender up to the value of £10; and

£1, £2, £5 (rare and commemorative) and gold coins of the realm are legal tender to any denomination.

Confusing?

Well, not as much as it appears. For a start, nobody really knows this: it's not well publicised (and hence enforced). I've had a great deal of trouble finding out specifics on this. Also, and more importantly, the status of legal tender isn't as important as it appears.

Let me explain this a bit further. You may pay for your goods or services with cash; you may however pay by other means, such as with a Visa card, a cheque, Switch, or with a large bag of chickens, if the payment method is accepted. Therefore the legal tender status of that crisp twenty in your hand is not nearly as important as whether the person you wish to give it to will accept it as payment.

It should be noted that although it is a rarity, it's is not at all unheard of for Scottish and Northern Irish notes to be refused as payment in England (and no doubt other parts of the UK too). In this situation, alas, you have no legal basis to rely on, and will have to use diplomacy or legal tender instead.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Citations:

Scottish law online: http://www.scottishlaw.org.uk/lawscotland/banks.html

Scottish Currency: http://www.saor-alba.fsnet.co.uk/currency.htm

Philately and Numismatics: http://www.cartref.demon.co.uk/eng/collect.htm

Bank of England: http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/banknotes/legaltender.htm

Scottish Banks: http://www.scotbanks.org.uk/

Source - http://everything2.com/index.pl?node=legal%20tender

PB, I am very annoyed, the taxi driver who has just dropped me off had the nerve to refuse 2 postage stamps, an almost full card of 7-11 silver stamps and a 10% Central discount voucher. He wanted cash! What can I do?

And presumably you can pay for tickets on the subway (MRT) with one of those Subway reward cards filled with small Subway stamps?

And presumably you can pay for tickets on the subway (MRT) with one of those Subway reward cards filled with small Subway stamps?

of course you can :o

If you see that latest super-dooper computer in you local computer shop mis-priced at £9-99 and not £999-99, you do not have a legal right to buy it at that price.

Actually, this is not related to legal tender so much as a sales contract, whereas the sign of price at 9.99 is an invitation to treat, and not an offer, and therefore, bringing out 9.99 and giving it to the sales person is legally the offer, and the retailer can refuse it and not accept. This should be covered under the Contracts Act (I think that was the year in NZ), as well as a ton of case law; who can forget the breathtaking case of the snail in the gingerbeer or the luggage falling on the woman's head.

Yes, I remember my 1 year studying contract law :-)

I think you may find that, however, mis-pricing may result in breaching acts like the Fair Trading Act 1986 as it is a misrepresentation of the actual price. In NZ there is also further legislation protecting consumers from evil retailers, called the Consumer Guarantees Act 1993, but I cannot recall whether this has additional protection or the ability to enforce the mistated price as I had stopped studying law by that point, as it was interfering with beer swilling and darts.

And girls.

And more beer.

Regarding legal tender, AFAIK there is actually coverage of what constitutes legal tender in the Sale of Goods Act. I am fairly sure it used to be something like:

- coins could be used to pay for something up to the value of $2

- notes could and had to be accepted for anything.

Failure to accept, and the Consumer Guarantees Act and Consumer Protection Act (I think) kick in, enforced by the Ministry of Consumer Affairs and the Commerce Commission, useless as they both are. For NZ anyway. For here, ther is some sort of Ministry, but like govt everywhere, they are <deleted> useless.

I have no idea whether such a concept exists here. Or whether there would be a way to enforce it. I strongly doubt that stamps would ever be legal tender; as the post office could set themselves up as the Bank of Thailand/England and start minting their own money.

Actuall, that is not a bad idea. I can print stamps.