The Customs Department recommends Amendment of Intellectual Property Law

Jai Dee

The Customs Department amends Intellectual Property Law

Director-General of the Customs Department Chavalit Settameteekul (ชวลิต เศรษฐเมธีกุล) revealed that the department has drafted amendments to the Intellectual Property Law in order to suppress piracy more effectively.

The amendments include authorization of the use of x-ray equipments to scan pirated goods smuggled in by trains. The department has already submitted the amendments to the National Legislative Assembly. According to the director-general, more than 370 pirated items totaling 60 million baht had been confiscated so far.

Mr Chavalit added that the department is studying the installation of x-ray equipments at the Lad Krabang (ลาดกระบัง), Sadao (สะเดา), and Mukdahan (มุกดาหาร) train stations. It has estimated the cost of both the installation and the equipments at 800 million baht.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 26 January 2007

I cannot see this stopping the trade entirely. Other, more imaginitive routes will be found to traffic conterfeit goods.

As usual, demand will always lead to a supply, whatever the price on the streets! Just take a look at the drugs trade!

Mr Chavalit added that the department is studying the installation of x-ray equipments at the Lad Krabang (ลาดกระบัง), Sadao (สะเดา), and Mukdahan (มุกดาหาร) train stations. It has estimated the cost of both the installation and the equipments at 800 million baht.

That's one millian baht for you and one million baht for me,that's one millian baht for you and one million baht for me..........

That's one millian baht for you and one million baht for me,that's one millian baht for you and one million baht for me..........

Ermmmmmmmmmmmmm Mukdahan doesn't have a trainstation.

Waerth

Ermmmmmmmmmmmmm Mukdahan doesn't have a trainstation.

Waerth

Guess what!!! Some of that 800Mil is for some new buildings.

Does the train line go through there?? (Yet)