Something died in the car A/C

Crossy

If the a/c switch which opens a vent to let outside air in is used I have been told make sure it's shut when not using the motor for a good while.

Two times now the thing we've had is kittens under bonnet in the engine compartment. 

• Like 1

Lucky you don't have friends like me, I was Best Man at my mates wedding years ago and one of the treatments his car received was a heap of prawn heads stuffed through the intake grill just in front of the windscreen, not very mechanically minded fried took a while to figure out where the stench was coming from, took him a couple of days to find the stones in his chrome hub caps as well :whistling:

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Pungdo said:

Lucky you don't have friends like me, I was Best Man at my mates wedding years ago and one of the treatments his car received was a heap of prawn heads stuffed through the intake grill just in front of the windscreen, not very mechanically minded fried took a while to figure out where the stench was coming from, took him a couple of days to find the stones in his chrome hub caps as well :whistling:

Was this in the Bristol area in the UK? After a party near the cheddar gorge?

We had similar a few months ago. Smelt like a dead gecko somewhere but it lingered for days. Finally the wife took the Fortuner in to a little place she knows. He knew exactly what it was. Got in to the a/c through the glove compartment. Found 3 or 4 dead frazzled baby rats!

We had a rats nest in there,also ford ranger.

Still can smell something very odd after a month.

Yes easy to take apart and this is now the second time.

I put some tools in the truck now so when i ever here something in the fan again i can take it apart before things go smelly.

Had the same problem 2 years ago (Toyota Vigo).  Two baby rats and some wrigglies as well.  I always keep the air con vent on recirculate but when wife cleaned the car she inadvertently left it open.  Lesson learnt the air con now is always on recirculate and so far no more problems.  What a stink it was!

16 hours ago, jvs said:

Still can smell something very odd after a month.

Vinegar should remove the smell.

Bought a deep freeze which had been full of moose meat when the power died.

Gag a maggot.

Worked on that, will work on anything.

Edited by canthai55
  • Like 1

You have my sympathy.  I had a company car so left my Mercury Cougar at my parents house with the proviso that my dad drive it occasionally to keep it in shape

I came home one weekend and when I opened the car door I instantly knew something had died somewhere.  I then foolishly attempted to get at the source by removing the dash board.  Big mistake, because even if I had found the source I would never have been able to put it back together

Ended up taking the car to the dealer who relieved me of $1,400 USD (in 1990) to put the dashboard back together and $29.99 for a chemical flush of the A/C system.  They told me that a mouse had gotten trapped when my nearly deaf father closed the vent door and the only way to eliminate the smell was by flooding the system chemically 

Interestingly enough my insurance company paid for the whole fiasco, minus my $200 deductible   

Edited by Langsuan Man

Putting a ride ventilation on recycling may not stop intruders. On my ride the shut off flap is just behind the dash, which means from there to where the air from outside is pulled in there is a critter track..

Plus on recycling you could get a CO2 build up in the cab which ain't good, though l believe there is a small bypass for a little outside air to help out..