Songkran traffic death toll climbs to 188 in 3 days

rooster59

Songkran traffic death toll climbs to 188 in 3 days

20180414_121805.jpg

As celebration of the Songkran water continued today for the third day, death toll from traffic accidents on highways and secondary roads nationwide relevant to the festivities now climbed to 188 with 1,943 injuries.

Only in a single day yesterday, April 13, 86 people were killed, and 852 injured in 820 cases of traffic accidents.

The Road Safety Centre said that in total, 188 people were killed, and 1,934 were injured in three days of the  7-day dangerous period beginning  April 11-17 of  the Songkran festival.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/songkran-traffic-death-toll-climbs-188-3-days/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-04-14
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, Jack Mountain said:

Still below average compared to the 26000 a year they promise all the time.

exactly. I dont get why every year they make a big deal over these numbers. If youbdivide total deaths a year in traffic by 52 the average week is much worse than this Songkran week.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, martijn12345 said:

exactly. I dont get why every year they make a big deal over these numbers. If youbdivide total deaths a year in traffic by 52 the average week is much worse than this Songkran week.

No. The figure of 23-26.000 traffic death a year in Thailand is the WHO estimate. But the WHO counts also the death in the ambulance and hospital up to 4 week after the incident. The Thai authorities gives only the amount of death on the road which is approximately half the WHO number. So to compare you have to double the Thai figures  and than you will see that the Songkran days are 50-100 percent more dangerous. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, cardinalblue said:

But everyone is having a good time....thailand seems to live with these numbers...a beer in one hand and a water gun in the other....

and  all whilst   driving!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, leeneeds said:

For years it has been obvious that the police and government can not come to a consensus 

on how to manage the mind numbing statistics and deaths, if external help would not be taken on board, then a royal decree may be the only way to get some common sense into drivers brains.                                                                                                            

A Royal Decree, what have you been Smokin.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, samsensam said:

despite police assurances to the contrary water is being thrown at motorcycles and other vehicles on the main road near my place. why dont these people get it?

Really?

2 hours ago, darksidedog said:

This is just getting worse by the day. I had hoped after just 39 on day one, this year might finally be the turning point, but obviously any message about safe and responsible driving has not registered at all out there. It is truly tragic that this happens every year with no end in sight.

I am guessing but it seems to me that with all the traffic jams on Thursday prevented people from driving 'normally'. Once the traffic jams are over it's driving as usual. Just my opinion and I have no evidence to back it up.

HOWCOME we get a daily total of deaths early in the afternoon.Are totals mid day to mid day, or are they using their crystal balls. Go me beat!!??

We all know foreigners cannot tell Thais what or how to do it, therefore any logical, commonsense thoughts on how to change the attitude of the Population, the Police and Government will as usual fall on deaf ears. As there are too many noses in the trough to get any lasting change as it will lose people money  and that ,everyone ,is not allowed, let the peons die, there are plenty more of them .  

Edited by Khun Paul
spelling