cost of 1 month holiday to Thailand?

Clive

Good morning.
I was wondering of the approximate cost of a 1 month holiday to Thailand for 1 adult and 2 teenage children as Im planning a holiday January next year.
I lived in Thailand many years ago but haven't been back for about 6 years now and prices have gone up and the exchange rate is not as favourable as it once was.
Looking at staying at guest houses and would like to visit Chaing mai, Krabi, Ayutthaya, Phuket and Bkk.
Also looking at doing a little of the tourist trail as well as other stuff too.
Just trying to get an idea on prices .
Many thanks 

17 hours ago, Jdietz said:

about 10,000.

Depending on your personal requirements, it can be in THB or USD.

While I comprehend you attempt at humor--I too think that asking someone else what it would cost you is highly subjective and poorly conceived--I think your numbers are faulty. Again, the amount is subjective; however, three people on a month-long holiday in Thailand for B10k is a pauper's existence and even on USD10k may be limiting your fun. Certainly, you can stay in communal room fan-only hostels with the bath down the hall, you could eat only cheap street food, drink only water or tea, walk or take the bus, visit only the free attractions, and limit your souvenirs and other purchases to the cheapest you can find. However, at B10k/mo, even that may be impossible. Wouldn't staying in two a/c rooms with bath, eating in decent Thai and foreign restaurants, having a beer, spirits, soft drinks or fruit smoothies, taking a/c taxis and planes or even renting vehicles, going on tours and sightseeing in places which charge fees, and buying nice souvenirs be more preferable?  Sure, it depends on how much you have to spend; however, I would choose a more amenable vacation closer to home than a paupaer's existence in Thailand.

50 minutes ago, smotherb said:

While I comprehend you attempt at humor--I too think that asking someone else what it would cost you is highly subjective and poorly conceived--I think your numbers are faulty. Again, the amount is subjective; however, three people on a month-long holiday in Thailand for B10k is a pauper's existence and even on USD10k may be limiting your fun. Certainly, you can stay in communal room fan-only hostels with the bath down the hall, you could eat only cheap street food, drink only water or tea, walk or take the bus, visit only the free attractions, and limit your souvenirs and other purchases to the cheapest you can find. However, at B10k/mo, even that may be impossible. Wouldn't staying in two a/c rooms with bath, eating in decent Thai and foreign restaurants, having a beer, spirits, soft drinks or fruit smoothies, taking a/c taxis and planes or even renting vehicles, going on tours and sightseeing in places which charge fees, and buying nice souvenirs be more preferable?  Sure, it depends on how much you have to spend; however, I would choose a more amenable vacation closer to home than a paupaer's existence in Thailand.

I disagree. 10k USD should be plenty. Have a 2k USD cushion as just in case funds ready. I travel to Thailand 2x a year. I spend 5k CDN (4K USD) for a 1 month visit. Thats not living like a popper. I travel around Thailand, eat out all meals, go on tours, go to bars, etc, etc. Have a good vacation with your girls.

This is a rather strange question from the OP as it has so many variables, starting immediately with just where are you flying from. As you have also chosen to fly during the peak period everything, including the flights is going to cost you more. Around about just after now is a good time to travel for as you approach the end of April things will get much cheaper. You also don't specify much, like can your teenage kids room share etc. When I take my massive brood I tend to take them April/May. You may get better value by booking the entire trip with an operator although what I do is book a load of rooms at the Sabai Lodge in Pattaya, great little hotel (£18.00 a night/room), hire a car (or use the brand new one I bought my ex) and then using that as a base scamper about the country and do whatever it is the kids want to do

If you need 2 rooms you could budget 60 US a day on rooms and 60 US a day on food and travel, not including your return flights, so 30 days = 3,600 US basic budget, then allow for insurance, emergencies and the good times, so approx. 4,600 US, which in English money is approx. 6 pounds 10 shillings and thrupence.....have a nice trip

• Like 1

Years ago (in the 70s and 80s) we always brought about $100 a day here or you can live on the cheap and have a boring time going to the temples and a few cheap tourist areas while living in hostels If you want but if this is a once in a live time holiday for you ,wait until you can afford a great holiday  and if you can extend it to include a few surrounding countries.

You have many destinations planned.   Local airfare will be about 2000 each way.  For 3 that's 12,000 for each side trip.  I have found decent rooms for 500-1800 but at beach resort areas it can be 2500.  

So many variables.   

Do your kids need separate room.  Two double beds cost more than I ever book. Do they insist on Starbucks?  Or is a 20 baht iced coffee going to suffice.   Are the kids picky eaters?  Will they eat street food?   Thai breakfast is much cheaper than western ones.  How many 300 baht parks do you want to visit?.   I think you can look on Agoda for room prices,  and Thai smile, nok air and air Asia for flight costs but they won't let you book so early. But the airlines do have sales if your a member and this may save you some $.  Also be aware that extra luggage costs more so don't book lowest fare or then at check-in it's more than if you book for extra baggage before.   

If you want two beers a day that's 80 baht at 7-11. 90- 150 in room bar.  So you can save 10,000 in a month by abstaining from two restaurant or bar drinks a day. 

22 hours ago, Clive said:

I was wondering of the approximate cost of a 1 month holiday to Thailand for 1 adult and 2 teenage children...

...Looking at staying at guest houses and would like to visit Chaing mai, Krabi, Ayutthaya, Phuket and Bkk.
Also looking at doing a little of the tourist trail as well as other stuff too.
Just trying to get an idea on prices .

I think your know that your question is a bit like a rubber band, all depending on budget and life-style.

My bet is, that you can still find (relative) cheap hotel accommodation outside Bangkok – eventually staying three in one room with an extra bed, if money matters a lot – say typically average around 600-800 baht a night (excluding breakfast). Bangkok might be more expensive and probably in the range from 1,000 to 1,200 baht a night. January is high season, so don't expect too much of the rooms in that price level; however many young back packers manage to make it for less.

Count food and various drinks etc. as 300 to 500 baht per person; i.e. 900 to 1,500 baht a day (teens are often little more demanding than grown ups:wink:).

Domestic travelling can be done by bus, train or air; like taking a "2nd class sleeper" to Chiang Mai, and train to Ayutthaya, whilst Krabi and Phuket preferable would be air rather than bus, or train-and-bus; there are several budget airlines flying to these destination so prices from about 1,000 baht one-way, which might end up a few hundred baht more will all included, are realistic. From Krabi to Phuket a bus or minibus might be a solution.

On top comes various entrance and excursion fees, local transport etc.

In quite low, but realistic, budget I would count not less than 3,000 baht a day plus travelling, which minimum might be another 12,000 to 15,000 baht, so 30 days in total could be in any range from 100,000 baht and upwards.

And with reference to the rubber band you can easily spend 200,000 baht and more for the same kind of amazing Thailand adventure...:whistling:

Wish you a good holiday...:smile:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mdmayes said:

I disagree. 10k USD should be plenty. Have a 2k USD cushion as just in case funds ready. I travel to Thailand 2x a year. I spend 5k CDN (4K USD) for a 1 month visit. Thats not living like a popper. I travel around Thailand, eat out all meals, go on tours, go to bars, etc, etc. Have a good vacation with your girls.

So, you disagree with my opinion. Fine, knock yourself out. I disagree with your opinion and agree with mine. As I inferred, there is an inherent ridiculousness in asking someone else how much you would spend.  You say you spend USD4k/mo for your holiday, is that alone? The OP is talking about three people, he and two teenagers. And, of course, your inference that I would have girls on my vacation is more unfounded claptrap. My wife and I frequently spend USD10K for a month's vacation; and yes, some have been here in Thailand. As I said, how much you spend for a good vacation is subjective; for you see, it amounts to how much you spend.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dick turpin said:

Don't pay rent and don't go out, but still manage to whack out 50,000 baht a month?

I don't pay rent and very rarely go out and spend a lot more than that! Now you have something to think about :shock1:

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, CGW said:

I don't pay rent and very rarely go out and spend a lot more than that! Now you have something to think about :shock1:

I would genuinely like to know how anyone who doesn't pay rent and doesn't go out can spend even close to 50K baht.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, mdmayes said:

That sounds reasonable to me if not pauper and not excessive.  A few small changes can multiply out quite differently though - eg. Are you looking for 1-2-3 rooms?  Drinkers or food connoisseurs? 100 baht can get you a meal and a drink in one place, or 100 mtrs away could be 10x more.  BKK you might get a fruit smoothie for 250 baht, or Chiang Mai that might buy a meal for 3 and also 3 bottles of water.

Maybe google sites for average prices for things that interest you in each area you intend to visit, and carry more than you expect to need,  You don't 'have' to spend it if it's flawless, but being disconnected from your base country and 1 baht short can be a cold and hard mistress.

MDMayes is about right US$10,000 should give you a nice and reasonably comfortable holiday.  It is not nearly as cheap as it once was - thks in part to the very strong baht, but overall we think it is good value and the food/people/weather can't be beat.

But that is a personal opinion and one man's meat...

6 hours ago, seancbk said:

I would genuinely like to know how anyone who doesn't pay rent and doesn't go out can spend even close to 50K baht.

It's easy! insurances - 2 x car + 2 x medical + electric bill = 25k, add to that I smoke one decent cigar a day & alcohol, food - we eat not a great deal but good quality. "Health" foods and supplements have to come from overseas, not cheap.................................

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, CGW said:
10 hours ago, seancbk said:

It's easy! insurances - 2 x car + 2 x medical + electric bill = 25k, add to that I smoke one decent cigar a day & alcohol, food - we eat not a great deal but good quality. "Health" foods and supplements have to come from overseas, not cheap.................................

Fair enough.  Your original statement was worded as if you were one person.  

1 minute ago, seancbk said:

Fair enough.  Your original statement was worded as if you were one person. 

Sorry if it was misleading, I can see your point, I agree, it would be difficult to spend more than 50k, living alone and never going out, you would need to have a heavy drug habit to have that kind of miserable lifestyle!

12 hours ago, seancbk said:

agree entirely. On days I dont indulge and stay room bar 7/11 for food and maybe noodles later rarely go through more than 250 baht tops daily max of 10k a month on that basis