113,960 drink drivers arrested and 2,991 vehicles seized in three days

rooster59

November 14, 2016

Altogether 37,268,655 vehicles. These are divided into 20,289,721 motorcycles, 8,146.250 passenger cars, 6,259,806 pick-up trucks, 1,049,749 trucks and 156,089 public transport.

It's not that bad

I look a little cynical about it

Songkran traffic death toll climbs to 188 in 3 days
1 man's death is 1 other man's widow or job.

• Haha 1

Since motorcycles comprise about 80% of accidents/deaths it seems to me something should be done first about ridding Thailand of the "motorcycle disease" rather than crushing cars. Of course we'll see that happen about the same time we see RTP officers patrolling on bicycles in urban areas - not any time soon. Will Thailand ever shift to electric motorcycles? No, because they don't make enough noise, of course.

8 hours ago, kevvy said:

It just makes me sad , to think of all the families who will loose loved ones . And the government still wont do nothing about it .They have to  look at other countries and learn how they do it , it is not rocket science

Another chance to bash Thailand or do you have solutions?

I'll take the USA as an example anyone can get in a car buzzed and drive.

So???

I am very happy to see the cops out doing this.  DUI disgust me.

Edited by bkk6060

8 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

And many probably just had a couple of beers but showed a tad over

They shouldn't be having ANY beer, before driving. Stop excusing these morons, they cause death and  sorrow through their own selfishness.

Its hard to believe maybe but in my wife's family, I mean father brother sister, no one drink, my wife does not drink alcohol, never. 

My wife told me when they where young there was no alcohol in the house and her father said alcohol no good. 

iI is a very practising Buddhist family maybe it comes from there?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, overherebc said:

On topic DUI.

Edit.

Population figure are not that different around 67,000.000.

:smile: I thought so but was not sure, it seems to me the figure was high, because how many drivers are controlled for DUI 2/3% ..I have no idea but a small percentage.

9 minutes ago, Tchooptip said:

:smile: I thought so but was not sure, it seems to me the figure was high, because how many drivers are controlled for DUI 2/3% ..I have no idea but a small percentage.

Haven't read all the figures but I would 'assume' biggest % probably motorcycle riders.

Around my way it's common to see m/c riders buy 2/3 bottles of beer from the local shop, drink them outside then get back on the bike. I'm including expats in that as well. 4 to 6pm is the usual time window.

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Unbelievable numbers of totally thoughtless people. If it is so many so quickly, I shudder to think what the final figures are going to look like.

This country clearly has a very serious problem with alchohol and vehicles. To address it, the penalties need to be seriously increased.

5 hours ago, MaxYakov said:

Since motorcycles comprise about 80% of accidents/deaths it seems to me something should be done first about ridding Thailand of the "motorcycle disease" rather than crushing cars. Of course we'll see that happen about the same time we see RTP officers patrolling on bicycles in urban areas - not any time soon. Will Thailand ever shift to electric motorcycles? No, because they don't make enough noise, of course.

So you want to deny poor people the right to transport.. because poor people use motorcycles.

That 80% of the deaths come from motorcycles does not mean much it could be a drunk car driver taking out motorcycles as its unlikely for a motorcylce driver who is drunk to take out a car.

I think you should think a little bit more about why there are so many motorcycle deaths.. that is not ONLY because of bad motorcycle drivers but often just bad driving cars taking out motorcycles. As a motorcycle its almost impossible to take out a car worst a drunk motorcycle can do is taking out an other motorcycle or himself.. druk car drivers on the other hand are a far larger danger as they almost never kill themselves during the accident. A motorcycle driver that is drunk will take himself out of the gene pool with far greater ease then a car drunk car driver who more often then not kills innocents.

Edited by robblok
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tchooptip said:

Sory to ask but UK average what?

1 hour ago, Tchooptip said:
id:

UK average is 230 a day. About 85,000 a year.

He means arrests for drunk driving. Bear in mind that the limit in the UK is 35mg against 50 mg here.

• Like 1

Altogether 37,268,655 vehicles. These are divided into 20,289,721 motorcycles, 8,146.250 passenger cars, 6,259,806 pick-up trucks, 1,049,749 trucks and 156,089 public transport.

Amazing how they all get on the same stretch of Sukumvit Road at the same time.

53 minutes ago, siam2007 said:

Indeed that is a stunning figure. So can somebody explain to me what happened to the rest of the vehicles? The driver was arrested, paid his 300 Baht fee to support the local Police station's own Songkhran festivities, and then was allowed to continue? Or his 12 year old son or his 94 year old grandmother took over the wheel?

Driver arrested perhaps with 5 or 6 passengers and if one is sober then they take over the driving.

Driver arrested and if only him in the car/on the bike then the car bike impounded.

13 hours ago, Henrik Andersen said:

Sorry I  never hear Australia confiscate car's for drinking and driving people will always get it back 

https://www.perthnow.com.au/news/wa/police-impound-almost-40-hoon-cars-a-day-ng-526c1ca138f00bb3c05fa30d0fc904b4

Just one of the many states that transform cars.. 

Been doing it for about ten years now. 

14 hours ago, kevvy said:

It just makes me sad , to think of all the families who will loose loved ones . And the government still wont do nothing about it .They have to  look at other countries and learn how they do it , it is not rocket science

Some states in Oz if you do it twice in 1 year or more than 3 times in 10 years as well as fined jailed etc the car is crushed, might be NSW where even if it's not your car and that includes rentals.

Some classes of licence have a 0 limit on alcohol and I think over 15 ton or public transport it's also 0 level.

1 minute ago, overherebc said:

Some states in Oz if you do it twice in 1 year or more than 3 times in 10 years as well as fined jailed etc the car is crushed, might be NSW where even if it's not your car and that includes rentals.

Some classes of licence have a 0 limit on alcohol and I think over 15 ton or public transport it's also 0 level.

Yes. 

I still have my HC, heavy combination licence for articulated and truck and trailer, B doubles. 

If you drive a PSV, Public Service Vehicle, its zero and no drinking for 8 hours before driving. 

A separate licence for PSV too. 

Licence structure is.. 

Learner and display L plates. 

120 hours of recorded supervision. 

You have a log book which has to be signed. 

Green probationary for one year. 

Red probationary for two years. 

Restricted activities apply. 

Then you get your full license. 

Bikes are restricted to power and weight for two years, under 250cc.

Then you can progress to an unrestricted bike licence. 

2 minutes ago, dallen52 said:

Yes. 

I still have my HC, heavy combination licence for articulated and truck and trailer, B doubles. 

If you drive a PSV, Public Service Vehicle, its zero and no drinking for 8 hours before driving. 

A separate licence for PSV too. 

Licence structure is.. 

Learner and display L plates. 

120 hours of recorded supervision. 

You have a log book which has to be signed. 

Green probationary for one year. 

Red probationary for two years. 

Restricted activities apply. 

Then you get your full license. 

Bikes are restricted to power and weight for two years, under 250cc.

Then you can progress to an unrestricted bike licence. 

I believe in all cases above for car/bike it's 0 limit until you get a full licence. Yes?

1 minute ago, overherebc said:

I believe in all cases above for car/bike it's 0 limit until you get a full licence. Yes?

Correct. 

That's where the majority of the cars are coming from for crushing. 

Young P plate drivers who think they are bullet proof. 

There used to be engine size and speed restrictions also. 

Like, no V8s and 80 kph. 

Each state has its own variations. 

15 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Would be better if they had 113,000 vehicles seized. That would be a staggering number of vehicles, though the DUI numbers in just 3 days are also pretty mad.

And not " and they can be reclaimed by their owners after the end of Songkran  " but the Prime Minister can ask special mills to compress these vehicles and make with them a nice Cesar compressions

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/César_Baldaccini