Up to 200 Cambodian Americans deportees expected in 2018 as US repatriates more immigrants

geovalin

Cambodian Americans who have committed a crime face possible deportation from the country they now call home.

PHNOM PENH: Loneliness can be frightening. 

It is how Jimmy Heim felt in August 2016 when he was flying from the United States to a place he barely knew. Every second took him further away from his entire existence as a US resident. Everything he had built up over nearly 40 years - his wife and five children, his job, his house and friends - were ripped away the moment he was convicted of a crime and barred forever from the country he calls home.

“I wasn’t shackled. But being alone was even more frightening, not able to share or express my thoughts or emotion with another member,” Heim told Channel NewsAsia as he recounted the day he left the US for good. 

read more https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asia/cambodian-american-deportees-2018-us-repatriates-immigrants-10130636

• Haha 1

On 4/15/2018 at 9:51 AM, lovelomsak said:

Cry me a river.

When will they understand we donot want the rest of the worlds criminals   on North American soil. I said north american because I am Canadian.. Keep them at home or we will send them home

These aren't "the rest of the world's criminals". Most were living legally in the US for decades and didn't apply for citizenship making them our criminals and not the rest of the world's criminals.  This article profiles a guy who left Cambodia 40 years ago when he was 5. I read this morning that America is also rounding up Vietnamese boat people who didn't apply for citizenship who were committed of crimes to send back to a country they fled because they were in danger..... 

Edited by kamahele

I’m not overly unsympathetic nor sympathetic to their issue.

I do believe that those (who are not citizens) LEGALLY came to the US and then who willfully violated the law (speaking to the classification of crimes that makes one deportable) should be dealt with — as per law.

That said, I also think the government could do more to inform and warn those who aren’t citizens, that certain types of criminal actions can lead to your eventual deportation.... fair warning if you will..

I believe in deportation as one enforcement tool, and the fact that for non-citizens to be in the US is, for the most part, a privilege.... and that comes with rules and conditions.

I recognize that returning someone to a country like Cambodia, and when they may not have even lived there for any meaningful amount of time (some were born in refugee camps) may not speak the language or have family and support networks may have very dire risks and consequences, but, I do think that as a non-citizen you must be aware of what conduct is considered acceptable, and insure you stay in the right side of the law.

Who I “feel for” would be any US-born children

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kamahele said:

I read this morning that America is also rounding up Vietnamese boat people who didn't apply for citizenship who were committed of crimes to send back 

Well more good news. Keep sending them back. Illegal is quick trip back to home country as it should be.

I get tired of the crap arquement I am here so I deserve to stay Legal immigrants stay illegal get sent home not hard to understand  huh.

Edited by lovelomsak
  • Like 1

I'll use the same logic:  If I stay in Cambodia for years illegally, than when I get caught and deported then its a tragedy, right?  All the 'immigrants first' do-gooders should get behind me and scream for justice, right?    But what immigrant group steps behind those from the West illegally residing South East Asia or residing legally but deported because they committed a crime in there host country?  Nobody.

I stay in my host country because I play by the rules.  I expect everyone from foreign countries to play by the rules when entering my country.  If they get deported for breaking the laws?  So sad, too bad.  For those of us living in a foreign country, if we break the laws of our host country, we can pretty much expect a one-way ticket home if we live though being jailed.  But it's suppose to be different for those entering the US, EU, or UK.  Nonsense. 

Edited by connda
  • Like 2

On 15/04/2018 at 9:51 AM, lovelomsak said:

Cry me a river.

When will they understand we donot want the rest of the worlds criminals   on North American soil. I said north american because I am Canadian.. Keep them at home or we will send them home

Well said, we in OZ are being thwarted by the administrative appeals tribunal but our Parliament is now putting that right, why would we want people like that in our country when we have a choice? 

• Like 1