SHERA ceiling Board?

moonseeker

I know a guy who has a company who manufacture a warerproof ceiling board ... I have seen the stuff ... looks good to me ... he is in Bangkok ... if you want any contact info just ask

• Like 1

It can be used for a ceiling, more common used as a sofit through, the only issue I have with it is that its not as easy to fix as plasterboard and what you generally see done in Thailand is it fixed with rivets, which are clearly unsightly, i just depends on how good a finish you require, and you could get them to fix it with counter sunk screws, but that will take much longer than using plasterboard.

And by the way, termites dont eat plasterboard, they will only burrow through it if there is wood behind it, they do eat the paper though, have you considered the green cloth backed plasterboard?  Its water proof and I think it is also termite proof.

• Like 1

I have used SCG Smartboard to replace a gypsum ceiling (termite damage).

It is fairly easy to install, except that sinking the screw heads is more difficult than with gypsum. I ended up countersinking each hole.

It's definitely termite proof and the board itself is waterproof, but if you have a problem with leaking pipes above your ceiling any water will find its way to a screw or joint and you will get staining.

Edited by chickenslegs

On 4/16/2018 at 11:32 AM, chickenslegs said:

I have used SCG Smartboard to replace a gypsum ceiling (termite damage).

It is fairly easy to install, except that sinking the screw heads is more difficult than with gypsum. I ended up countersinking each hole.

Yeah, all our ceilings are this (or something very similar). Very hard and waterproof, tested when the upstairs shower "leaked" (blocked drain), water came through a light fitting which was toasted but the board was undamaged, didn't even need a re-paint.

Ours is fixed with air-nails/staples, just small holes to fill when the man tapes the joints.

As said above this is the traditional ceiling here in Thailand - gypsum used to never be used but in last several decades has become common as much better heat insulation and sound deadening.   But if there is any chance of a water the old cement board is a much better choice.

1 hour ago, raybarrell said:

What is the sound deadening ceiling board called please as I would like to install a ceiling in my bedroom to reduce the noise from rain storms? Thanks  

Acoustic board, that is a plasterboard that is backed with a kind of foam, and there is also soundblock, which looks like regular plaster board but is blue.  You can also make something with almost as much sound deadening ability by simply double boarding with regular plasterboard, or a sheet of OSB or ply and then plasterboard on top, just be sure to use more fixings than normal, I think some people even glue them together, the idea is that they become a super rigid layer so that it does not allow the vibrations of sound through, laminated layers are very rigid as long as they are properly attached together.  There are other options, acoustic products that you can put behind your plasterboard or under your roofing.  I presume you have a metal roof if it is noisy, the best of all would be to change the roof finish for something that is not so noisy in the first place, such as clay or asphalt tiles,  but that would be heavier and so may require a redesigned roof and will likely be the most expensive option available, the cheapest of all would be double boarding with 9mm plaster board and with fixings every 10cm.