R. Lee Ermey, 'Full Metal Jacket' sergeant dies at 74

webfact

R. Lee Ermey, 'Full Metal Jacket' sergeant dies at 74

Reuters Staff

fmj.jpg

FILE PHOTO Actor R. Lee Ermey, a cast member in the remake of the acclaimed 1971 horror classic "Willard," poses during the premiere of the film March 12, 2003 at The Egyptian Theatre in Hollywood, California. REUTERS/Jim Ruymen/File Photo

(Reuters) - R. Lee Ermey, a former marine turned Hollywood actor known for hardheaded military roles like Gunnery Sergeant Hartman in Stanley Kubrick’s “Full Metal Jacket” has died at 74, his manager said.

The Kansas native died on Sunday from complications of pneumonia, his manager Bill Rogin said in a tweet.

Ermey, who served in Vietnam, is best remembered as the foul-mouthed drill sergeant in Kubrick’s 1987 film, who tried to turn “maggot” recruits like Joker, played by Matthew Modine, into combat-ready Marines. He was nominated for a Golden Globe as Best Supporting Actor for the role.

In a four-decade acting career, he played a helicopter pilot in “Apocalypse Now,” portrayed authoritarian figures like Mayor Tillman in “Mississippi Burning” and did voice overs for characters like the green plastic soldier “Sarge” in “Toy Story.”

(Reporting By Andrew Hay, editing by Darren Schuettler)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-04-16

• Sad 1

I like Mr. Ermey.  I've seen him in other roles.  When I read the headline, I thought about that segment from the movie FMJ which someone posted.  Little known fact:  He ad-libbed most of that boot camp-tirade.  No one on the set knew what he was going to say on that take, not even Brit director Stanley Kubrick.     

• Like 1

I like Mr. Ermey.  I've seen him in other roles.  When I read the headline, I thought about that segment from the movie FMJ which someone posted.  Little known fact:  He ad-libbed most of that boot camp-tirade.  No one on the set knew what he was going to say on that take, not even Brit director Stanley Kubrick.     

Apparently he had to stop and ask someone will a reach-around was

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk