Drunk driving ‘a major cause’ of road accidents

webfact

Drunk driving ‘a major cause’ of road accidents

By THE NATION

a29a35f32e76e92a78192102b288418a.jpeg

Police to look for more safety measures; may seek higher budget

DRUNK DRIVING is seen as a major cause for fatalities after 323 people were killed and 3,140 others were injured in 3,001 crashes during the first five days of the Songkran seven-day accident-monitoring period (April 11-17), the Road Safety Centre announced yesterday. 

On Sunday alone, drunk driving was the cause of 42 per cent of 552 road accidents in which 69 people were killed and 589 injured, Damrong Limaphirak, the Education Ministry adviser on policy and strategy, said at the centre’s press conference.

1533ab19b03b06d0d28e1685f6fa776f.jpeg

Speeding played a role in 26 per cent of accidents, while 79 per cent involved motorcycles, Damrong said.

All the figures for the five-day period were an increase over numbers from last Songkran, which saw 283 people killed and 3,087 wounded in 2,985 road crashes. 

Chiang Mai continued to chalk up the highest number of accidents, at 119 cases and 136 injured over the five days. At 19, Nakhon Ratchasima recorded the highest accumulated death toll. 

Only seven provinces – Yala, Ranong, Satun, Samut Songkhram, Nong Khai, Nong Bua Lamphu and Angthong – did not report any deaths from road accidents during Songkran.

Damrong said 21,829 drivers were arrested at checkpoints nationwide for drunk driving. 

c51372bf89f3487c44f029e8c09d3d9e.jpeg

He conceded that although more drunk drivers were caught and taken off the streets, road accidents continued to increase. The Royal Thai Police committee to beef up road safety measures will consider additional actions, including heavier punishments for repeated offenders and increasing the budget for purchasing breathalysers and speed radar.

Meanwhile, the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) and related authorities have seized a total of 10,099 vehicles (7,372 motorcycles and 2,727 cars and trucks) from drunk drivers from April 11-15, said NCPO and Army deputy spokeswoman Colonel Sirichan Ngathong. On Sunday alone, the authorities seized 2,069 motorcycles and 814 cars from drunk drivers, she said. 

1ff7cb70462139f2d1aa75c5be862361.jpeg

Chiang Rai, Maha Sarakham and Surin topped the list of provinces for most number of drunk drivers caught in the first five days of Songkran. Thousands of offenders were immediately slapped with probation and dozens had monitoring devices attached to their ankles to keep them off the roads.

Probation Department director-general Prasarn Mahaleetrakul said the five days saw 3,460 motorists arrested and placed on probation across the country. In all, there were 6,707 arrests, of which 97.5 per cent were for drunk driving. The remainder were for reckless driving (21 cases), street racing (two) and driving under the influence of narcotics (143), Prasarn said. Chiang Rai clocked up the most drunk-driving cases with 455, followed by Maha Sarakham at 394 and Surin at 313. 

Since April 13, the department had attached electronic monitoring devices to the ankles of 37 drunk drivers placed on probation, in accordance with court-mandated conditions. The devices prevent them from leaving their homes between 10pm and 4am for 15 days. Given one year’s probation, they must report four times to probation officials and do 24 hours of community service.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30343266

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-04-17
  • Haha 1

The highways are insane here and yes its a 365 days a year problem and not just songkran. Average 64 deaths a day, thats a shed load of people losing their life, very sad indeed. Amazingly too, over 21 thousand drivers/riders busted for drink driving which to me clearly shows that the law is of little deterrent to people here. 21K in 5 days, wonder what the figures are like in more developed countries? Nonetheless, for me totally unacceptable but I dont see it changing anytime soon, sad loss of life everyday in Thailand with the me me me attitude of these drink drivers.

• Like 2

Surely this is fake news, drink driving major cause of road accidents !!
Person who said that...WOW !! must have used a lot of brain power to come up with that.

So if a reporter asks the authorities what the major cause of road deaths is, what response would be appropriate? What should be reported?

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

13 minutes ago, BigBadGeordie said:

I knew it would have to be in there somewhere.

The RTP never disappoint.

It's ALWAYS what "they" are going to do. NEVER what they've done and the results. LOL lol 

Hell let me enter my hat...... I'm going to get 10 years younger....

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Since April 13, the department had attached electronic monitoring devices to the ankles of 37 drunk drivers placed on probation, in accordance with court-mandated conditions.

37 out of 22,000 ? Better order more bracelets ! Unless the bracelet money has been used on a family bracelet producing company 100 times the cost of a normal one.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thian said:

Harder punishment plus police on patrol doing policing is hardly needed.....why is that too hard to see for the Thai? I have never seen police doing there job well, they love to sit in open tents playing on computers.

Mobile police patrols seem not to exist. The police seem to be stationary, reactive and not proactive as far as roadway safety.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Benmart said:

Mobile police patrols seem not to exist. The police seem to be stationary, reactive and not proactive as far as roadway safety.

"The police seem to be stationary,..."  Hence the Government's correct terminology of "crackdown"!!   :thumbsup:

• Like 1

" ..... related authorities have seized a total of 10,099 vehicles (7,372 motorcycles and 2,727 cars and trucks) ..... "

Where the hell to they keep all these vehicles ... and is it the Police or Admin people who look after the storage and release ? If its the Police Officers, that takes a hell of a lot of them off the roads whilst accounting for these vehicles etc. ... when they should be out there catching the drunks ....

• Like 1

PLEASE REMEMBER...the number of everything normally goes up when there are more people...population growth.  Also, a better economy will increase those working which increases driving, drinking, and simply more motorbikes on the road.

i agree about Farangs riding/driving drunk. i see it every day in Pattaya (especially  with scooters) the full timers seem to like to drink  all afternoon, with their ex pat mates and about 4 pm, get on their scooters and wobble off home to the misses, something they would not dream of in their own country, i am talking ALL nationalities here.

• Thanks 1