AirBnB accommodation for schengen visa ? (france)

I am French citizen expatriated to Thailand for over 9 years.
I have planed a vacation trip to France with my Thai girl friend I live with now for 8 years.
We have planed a 3 week trip to southern France. I have booked flights back and forth (to France) for us two and booked an apartment in a village we want to stay in via Airbnb on my and her name.
I like the chosen place as I have been there before and it is the purpose of our trip to be in that village.
As a My Girl friend is Thai she needs proof of accommodation. It is her first trip to Europe. But we have travelled around other countries in Asia as Japan, HongKong, Korea to name a few.

I would like to hear if some know if AirBnB accommodation for schengen visa is accepted (primarily at the french consulate in Bangkok)

Searching the internet for information on the subject is not clear. Most have no problems, some have. But I haven’t found any for a Thai. 
It seems different from Consulate to Consulate depending on Country, and the French Embassy/Consulate is not very helpful in this regard.

Thank you for your attention to this matter

Good question, difficult answer. It really depends on the embassy and if they apply a common sense or more laid back approach versus one that sticks to the letter of the law (Schengen rules) and has 0 flexibility.

The Schengen rules are a bit outraged, from a time in which internet booking sites for hotels, let alone things like AirBNB were not a thing. The EU council & members started working on an update a few years ago (in which this very thing is mentioned as an example on why the rules need updating) but so far nothing passed yet. 

This is what the rules dictate, the Schengen Code on Visa says:

-----

Article 14

Supporting documents

1.   When applying for a uniform visa, the applicant shall present:

(a)

documents indicating the purpose of the journey;

(b)

documents in relation to accommodation, or proof of sufficient means to cover his accommodation;

(...)

3.   A non-exhaustive list of supporting documents which the consulate may request from the applicant in order to verify the fulfilment of the conditions listed in paragraphs 1 and 2 is set out in Annex II.

4.   Member States may require applicants to present a proof of sponsorship and/or private accommodation by completing a form drawn up by each Member State. That form shall indicate in particular:

(a)

whether its purpose is proof of sponsorship and/or of accommodation;

(b)

whether the host is an individual, a company or an organisation;

(c)

the host’s identity and contact details;

(d)

the invited applicant(s);

(e)

the address of the accommodation;

(f)

the length and purpose of the stay;

(g)

possible family ties with the host.

(....)

ANNEX II

Non-exhaustive list of supporting documents

The supporting documents referred to in Article 14, to be submitted by visa applicants may include the following:

A.

DOCUMENTATION RELATING TO THE PURPOSE OF THE JOURNEY

(..)

for journeys undertaken for the purposes of tourism or for private reasons:

(a)

documents relating to accommodation:

an invitation from the host if staying with one,

a document from the establishment providing accommodation or any other appropriate document indicating the accommodation envisaged;

(b)

documents relating to the itinerary:

confirmation of the booking of an organised trip or any other appropriate document indicating the envisaged travel plans,

in the case of transit: visa or other entry permit for the third country of destination; tickets for onward journey;

-----

Source (in French for your convenience but you can chose any European language):

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/FR/TXT/HTML/?uri=CELEX:32009R0810&from=EN

Some embassies wish to see a classic hotel booking, some are fine with an electronic booking from sites such as booking .com or Agoda. Airbnb fits in the second category.

My best guess: you should be fine unless you are dealing with a dinosaur embassy with staff that really knows no flexibility but sticks outdated instructions down to the letter. I would simply give it a go. And as I usually suggest: write an A4 sized letter (together) in which you explain who you 2 are, what your plan is (why going to FR?) And why they need not worry that the alien won't go back before the visa expires. This so that the officer can paint a better picture besides all the boring, dry paperwork.  

I certainly do hope somebody with hands on experience in dealing with the French embassy in BKK will reply. But I hope this post is atleast somewhat useful to you. 

Went to VFS Italy yesterday as opposed to directly to the Italian Embassy, as they do not do a post back service. 14 hour round trip, P'lok to Bkk and back. Very easy trip actually, parking at BITEC, BTS from Bang Na to Siam and change to Sala Daeng where the office is right there. Appointment at 1pm, thinking ah, first after lunch. Oh no. There were about 60 people waiting. It is however the same office for Croatia, Austria, Czech and others. Called in, and I was allowed to go in with mt partner, unlike VFS  for UK. I had filled in the úniversal' application form which is just in English, filled in on computer and printed. Oh no, must be on the Italian version of the form, which is EXACTLY the same except in Italian as well. I did that for her. Then was told that as we are not married, only 10 years together, I cannot sponsor her, she must have her own bank account. Luckily I had included a copy of her passbook showing Bht 50,000. Oh no, that copy was 3 weeks old, must be less than 7. The VFS girl suggested we drive back to P'lok, get her book updated, make a copy and come back tomorrow (today). Two words came into my head, but I refrained from using them. After telling them that someone at the Italian Embassy had OKed the non-married bit last week, VFS agreed to submit the application, with flight tickets, hotel confirmations through Air BnB, and which actually state her name, health insurance, copies of previous and current UK Visa, MY bank statements, photos of us together thru the years. Was told if it is refused I must pay again. Will keep you updated. 

• Like 1

This morning's update. Phoned the Italian Embassy who confirmed that non-married partners CANNOT sponsor a Thai, no matter how much money they show or how long they have been together. They WILL however accept a bank statement copy of my partner's bank account showing Bht 50, 000 which is more than a week old. Just to be on the safe side, I deposited a further 50k into her bank yesterday, updated the passbook, scanned and emailed it to the Italian Embassy. The man this morning said he would chase the application up. But following on from what DONUTZ said a while back, about the Dutch being more laid back, I called the Dutch Embassy who said that if not married, we must go to a Notary and swear an affidavit that I am paying the whole trip, but that if my partner can show 34 Euro per day in her bank, al will be OK.....what the f..k can you do on 34 Euro a day? It amazes me that information like this is not made clear on the application form or the instructions. How many people, like myself, do a 5 hour drive to Bkk only to be told these stupid regulations.

• Like 1

It is because the financial requirements are different for each member state. Each member sets it's own requirements. Some demand say 20 euro's others up to towards 100 euro's per person per day. Some set a different financial level depending on if the alien is staying in commercial or private accommodation  (staying at a hotel vs staying at a friend's place). 

Same with sponsorship. Apparantly the Italians are very difficult  (not accepting sponsorship from a partner you have lived with for 10 years?! Insane!!). The Dutch sponsorship/accommodation form can technically be signed by anyone*. So it's not uncommon for say young lovebirds to have the parents or a good friend to sign for private  accommodation or sponsorship. 

So when it comes to sponsorship the best one can do or hope for is to get the country specific form and hope it comes with clear instructions. That's not always the case...

Edit: *But that person would need to legally bind themselves (and provide evidence of having a regular financial income) and have the sponsorship form be stamped/legalized at the local Dutch municipality. That's what the form says but in practise the Dutch also let you sign/stamp the form at the embassy. 

What all embassies are consistent in however is that if the alien funds the trip themselves, that there can be no strange transactions (lumpsums: large sudden deposits could indicate money being loaned or even a sign of human trafficking) and there can be no doubt that the alien has full access to these funds. So in short: such funds must truly be owned and accessible to the alien without any doubt.

Edited by Donutz

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Just got a txt from VFS Italy, passport on it's way back with Schengen Visa. THREE DAYS. 

On 4/26/2018 at 12:15 PM, Donutz said:

It is because the financial requirements are different for each member state. Each member sets it's own requirements. Some demand say 20 euro's others up to towards 100 euro's per person per day. Some set a different financial level depending on if the alien is staying in commercial or private accommodation  (staying at a hotel vs staying at a friend's place). 

Same with sponsorship. Apparantly the Italians are very difficult  (not accepting sponsorship from a partner you have lived with for 10 years?! Insane!!). The Dutch sponsorship/accommodation form can technically be signed by anyone*. So it's not uncommon for say young lovebirds to have the parents or a good friend to sign for private  accommodation or sponsorship. 

So when it comes to sponsorship the best one can do or hope for is to get the country specific form and hope it comes with clear instructions. That's not always the case...

Edit: *But that person would need to legally bind themselves (and provide evidence of having a regular financial income) and have the sponsorship form be stamped/legalized at the local Dutch municipality. That's what the form says but in practise the Dutch also let you sign/stamp the form at the embassy. 

What all embassies are consistent in however is that if the alien funds the trip themselves, that there can be no strange transactions (lumpsums: large sudden deposits could indicate money being loaned or even a sign of human trafficking) and there can be no doubt that the alien has full access to these funds. So in short: such funds must truly be owned and accessible to the alien without any doubt.

Just got txt back from VFS Italy saying Visa approved, passport on its way back....THREE DAYS.

46 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Just got a txt from VFS Italy, passport on it's way back with Schengen Visa. THREE DAYS. 

Just got txt back from VFS Italy saying Visa approved, passport on its way back....THREE DAYS.

In fact, gf got txt this morning to say the file had gone from VFS to Italian Embassy,  then at six this evening, txt to say its on it's way back.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Sorry being a bit late with an update. It could interest some.

Even though I was told from http://visafrancethailande.fr that a AirBnB reservation would not be accepted as proof of accommodation. My GF got her Visa with an AirBnB reservation at the Consulate in Bangkok through TSL contact.

• Like 1