Netizens Side With Farang Youtuber Wronged By Airport Taxi

webfact

Funny, I speak about 10 words of Thai, but after probably as much 100 arrivals at Bangkok airport, I have never felt threatened nor ripped off. For the last few years ALL taxis from the official stands did put on their meters, asked me if I wished to take the motorway, and requested the exact amount for the tolls. Maybe because I look respectable, and still have remnants of my former authority... No fancy haircut nor offending tattoos..

1 hour ago, kannot said:

not half  as  well as You tube, my Wife has  called those numbers before now......result..............never  heard another thing.

Trial by the internet is seriously dangerous because of people with agenda's, we've already seen what can happen to otherwise solid businesses when a poor malicious review gets posted on Tripadvisor and the like. For the guy who's out to make some money, there's too much opportunity to set up the parts of the story that he wants people to see and to damage others in the process, the injured party, be they right or wrong have no chance after the fact to counter any set up scenario's.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, KiChakayan said:

Funny, I speak about 10 words of Thai, but after probably as much 100 arrivals at Bangkok airport, I have never felt threatened nor ripped off. For the last few years ALL taxis from the official stands did put on their meters, asked me if I wished to take the motorway, and requested the exact amount for the tolls. (...)

Importantly, too, you weren't formulating a gripping new question to post on your social media pages when you departed the taxi at your destination, with camera at the ready.

Edited by EyeOfRa

13 hours ago, terryp said:

I dont like to be ripped off and always take it very personal...BUT this guy has to be the biggest idiot ever, he could have stopped this at the Airport or anywhere on route by saying the words STOP THE TAXI NOW; he could even say it in thai:saai:.

He will regret this day in his life as thais have a long memory and if he thinks there will be no Immigration investigation leading from this then his 2 years in thailand have taught him nothing...also good luck with your next visa run & future taxi drivers in BKK.

Well, In my career, I came only once across such a scum artist, on the 4th floor I have to admit, in more than 10 years. I stopped it since. Do you realize, that those magic "stop taxi now" words leave you in the middle of the <deleted> highway?? And if you wanna complain, I just hope you travel very light, or you wanna start that discussion with luggage in the trunk? 

For my part I was getting away so far pretty easy with taxi drivers in BKK, but I did not use them in crowded areas like Suk, Silom a.s.o., better walk off to the next bigger street and wave one down, or even easier use the public transport, never an issue with them, sometimes even free. 

13 hours ago, terryp said:

14 hours ago, jvs said:

Come on you guys,you don't like a younger man speaking the language well and making money from Youtube?

Ok no problem.

Many people get conned by taxi drivers each and everyday and many people will not even know.

A driver comes along and decides to rip off his next customer?

Fail!!!He speaks the language and decides to beat the guy at his own game!!

Well done!!!

I'm very impressed by this guy's fluency, ready vocabulary and accurate accent in the Thai language. That is certainly a skill - especially as he has only been here two years. I can speak Thai - but not as well as this chap. I am envious! And I would say that most Westerners whom I hear speaking Thai don't manage to speak as effortlessly as this (Westerners frequently speak more hesitatingly and often get the tones  wrong). So, although this guy comes across as rather irritating and narcissistic - I take my hat off to him for his Thai fluency, and his bravery in exposing this lying and pathetically snivelling taxi driver for the jerk that he is.

• Haha 1

I take my hat off to him for his Thai fluency, and his bravery in exposing this lying and pathetically snivelling taxi driver for the jerk that he is.

Award for bravery, now? ! :shock1:

For a young American digital nomad creating a self-serving, self-promoting, sanctimonious YouTube video dripping with entitlement on the back of a minor Thai taxi driver hustle?

What a world...

Edited by EyeOfRa
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

Trial by the internet is seriously dangerous because of people with agenda's, we've already seen what can happen to otherwise solid businesses when a poor malicious review gets posted on Tripadvisor and the like. For the guy who's out to make some money, there's too much opportunity to set up the parts of the story that he wants people to see and to damage others in the process, the injured party, be they right or wrong have no chance after the fact to counter any set up scenario's.

The police take  action judging  by all the stories posted by THAIS and on Thai Visa after theyve  blabbed  all over the net, previous to that there has been no response or stalling by the authorities.

In Thailand it IS the  way to go

Everyone has an agenda

• Like 1

4 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

Then we have to disagree on this. I think Western countries have fought too long and too hard to implement and maintain legal systems that are the envy of many countries, trying to replace parts of that system with a smartphone camera, a Youtube account and an agenda is simply the wrong thing to let happen. And to do that in the third world with a taxi driver no less is pretty shameful. The taxi driver was a soft target that he played, he could have got out of that situation very easily at the airport, especially given his fluency in Thai and his knowledge of the way things work in Thailand - all he had to do was get another cab but he didn't, instead he turned the almost predictable exchange into a money making marketing opportunity. Being unhappy that taxi drivers in Thailand often rip off tourists does not give someone like him the right to try and change that system, one taxi driver at the time, at the cost of that taxi drivers livelihood. I ask you, how would you like to be on the receiving end of summary justice by a mass of netziens who neither live here, understand the culture or the country and who had been spoon-fed parts of and a version of a story that showed just one angle.

Yes Id agree a you  tube account is the wrong way to do this in a "normal" country, taxi driver got his comeuppance, they are notorious for this and maybe others  will stop doing it as the only thing stopping them is  humiliation/loss of  face.

• Like 1

I have to admit i rather enjoy the banter with taxi drivers when it comes to get the meter on, or the right price.

I am almost disappointed when they switch on the meter without a word.

The support the Foreigner gets from the Thai netizens is a clear sign that the times are changing.

Reminds me of the time I had to get a Taxi from Mo Chit Bus Station to the airport. having agreed on the fare with the driver. The journey proceeded, as we approached a road toll he asked for money. So I handed him the agreed fare. He spoke again (all the time in Thai). I knew he wanted extra for the toll, but I just pointed to the money I had given him and shrugged my shoulders indicating I didn't understand him. The result was, he avoided the toll and went the long way round to get to the airport. This guy mentioned here still needs to learn to ask and agree on the fare before, before he starts a journey with a taxi driver.

On 4/20/2018 at 6:52 AM, simoh1490 said:

Danny Mac needs to get a life and a real job, in that order and quit screwing around in Bangkok playing the big fish in a small pond and making people lives miserable. He seems to have taken it upon himself to use his internet status to root and publically destroy the well being of people who have crossed his path -  are you the first person to ever get ripped off by a taxi in Thailand, there's a legal system, available to you, use it if you're not happy with a service you receive. I hope the taxi drivers files a defamation suit against you.

I agree with you. He could have easily taken another cap with a meter, but I assume that he's looking for chances like that to have more visitors on his you tube channel. 

The way I see it, he'd go over dead bodies just to have a clip with a few thousand viewers. He's not as strange as the other nutcase who made fun out of Thais who could speak English, but he made it look like they couldn't. Nate, the jackass. 

• Like 2

Just now, jenny2017 said:

I agree with you. He could have easily taken another cap with a meter, but I assume that he's looking for chances like that to have more visitors on his you tube channel. 

The way I see it, he'd go over dead bodies just to have a clip with a few thousand viewers. He's not as strange as the other nutcase who made fun out of Thais who could speak English, but he made it look like they couldn't. Nate, the jackass. 

I expect Nate and Danny are pals and hang out in bars they can't afford on Tong Lor attempting to ingratiate themselves into the  social milieu of the all the rich Thai kids. 

• Like 1