To tip or not to tip?

soistalker

16 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

Does your GF leave any tip?

Sometime, but no if the already is charged service. 

I have actually seen thai leave tip quite often. 

Edited by Hummin
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Suradit69 said:

Of course you should tip. 

It's interesting how many people think they have an in-depth understanding of all things Thai when they can use it as an excuse to save money. 

If you want to be kee niaow then don't blame it on your deep appreciation for Thai culture.

Tipping was, as far as I know, introduced in Thailand by American GI's who was here on R&R during the Vietnam war.

It was/is _not_ part of Thai culture.

1 hour ago, geisha said:

Nowhere do the taxi drivers take your bags into the hall or elevator. If i needed  this, I would offer a tip and ask him nicely. Not his job. 

of course they do, especially if you have a bad leg.

I have never had to ask, the driver always does it, or at least offers.

And I am built like a brick door Geisha.

Well most restaurants already add the tip in, I will only tip if the staff was extremely helpful and polite, kept on refilling water and making sure the orders are all served and nothing is missing. Depending on the restaurant, I would tip the servers from 40 baht to 100 baht more. 

Taxis I usually just tell them to keep the change or give an additional 20 if they are polite and have good driving manners.

• Like 1

I usually give tips WHEN I get good service. Example being a taxi from SUV to Patts - fare 1000, and I give 100 tip. Last time though, the car stank of cigarettes, and the driver wanted to divert to get gas - I told him, to do it in his own time and no tip - simples! 

But my fundamental rule is that "tips are for me to give, NOT for them to take or expect"

• Like 2

11 hours ago, soistalker said:

If he had carried or helped to carry the bags to the elevator, I would have given him a tip. I didn't get how he expected a tip for not helping with the bags

Normally a little tip will often be given, also by Thais; and you could politely have asked for help with the bags, if they were a problem for you, I presume he would gladly have helped, and expecting a tip...:smile:

It's amazing how much even a small tip of just 20 baht helps – and of course little more, if it's a higher value service – bit of balance, to tip, but not overtip.

7 hours ago, yimlitnoy said:

Tipping in Thailand is a waste, now most of the time , even after they levy a service charge they are expecting a minimum 100 THB.  Yesterday I had one small beer in a bar and the waitress make an unhappy face when I asked for some change on all the 100 THB bills change she first handed to me in order to give 50 THB on the 180 THB beer.

If they are going to play unhappy all the time then let's give a justification for them to be unhappy.  Now I only give a tip when a smile is apparent on paying the bill.

Where are you paying ฿180 for one small beer?

it will be very sad day if tipping is enforced like in  the us----it should always be optional -for good service or friendliness..mainly limited to restaurants....

most bars and go go bars expect tips--they give 20 bahts change in coins--many customers leave this behind..

i dont tip the bars -they already make good money on the drinks..i dont mind tipping the girls if they are good fun.sometimes a mcycle taxi driver will get a 20baht tip..its not good to over endulge with tipping...

many people in thailand cant even say thank you or khap kun khrap...=very rude