Spend The Night At Don Muang?

Greenside

My stepson's flight would have him arrive at about 00:30 and he has to leave at 06:00.  Are the main airport facilities open all night and is there a reasonable chance of being able to grab some sleep or does security treat you like a vagrant?

I know there are hotels close by but he sees this as being part of the adventure.  Guess I might have done that at his age, come to think of it I spent the night on Euston station with my girlfriend about 50 years ago...

• Like 1

Been several years since the last time I did it waiting for a morning flight to here. Never a problem with security and many places were open.

Sleep depends upon him since all that is available is normal seating.

I've done all nighters a couple of times in airports recently.loads of people getting yoga style mats and just crashing where ever they like. Seems globally acceptable based on airports I have been in during the late hours. Heathrow, DMK, BKK, KL,HK & Schiphol.

spent the night there a couple of months ago when my flight was delayed making me miss my flight out, upstairs from the new part of the domestic terminal there is a cube bed place but that is pricey and im tight as a fishes, McDonalds upstairs and other restraunts had people sleeping in there seating booths everywhere, make sure he slips his arm through the straps of his backpac. 

Don Muang is the perfect airport for an undisturbed snooze! I was an expert back in the day. I was never hassled. Have him pack a plastic pool float in his carry on. One of those long ones with the built in pillows. They're very inexpensive. I even packed a small hand pump to speed things along.

Simply walk back to an unused part of the terminal. There are plenty of huge structural columns to partially hid behind. They even have the lights turned down for you in some terminals. Just check around, the places are there.  Good luck to him!  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lockyv7 said:

spent the night there a couple of months ago when my flight was delayed making me miss my flight out, upstairs from the new part of the domestic terminal there is a cube bed place but that is pricey and im tight as a fishes, McDonalds upstairs and other restraunts had people sleeping in there seating booths everywhere, make sure he slips his arm through the straps of his backpac. 

There's one called sleep box which has individual small full bedrooms and I think shared toilet / shower facilities, just checked their website, from 480.00Baht per night incl tax.

Website - http://www.sleepboxbymiracle.com/

Website has some photos.

Good luck. 

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

On 4/21/2018 at 5:44 PM, ubonjoe said:

Been several years since the last time I did it waiting for a morning flight to here. Never a problem with security and many places were open.

There is a new place in Don Muang called Sleepbox, I have used it. They have small comfortable rooms and showers ( not shared but compact! ) and a bar outside selling beer, spirits and reasonably priced snacks. Rooms can be rented by the hour, two, three or four hours. It's on the 4th floor, terminal 2 at Don Muang.

Scorecard, It is NOT 480 baht a night, that is for the first hour but they do deals for three hours and different deals depending on what time of day or night it is.

If he just wants to ' bum around ' in the airport, he will have no problems with security and also there are various outlets open throughout the night in there to buy stuff from 7-11 or Family Mart type places.

http://www.sleepboxbymiracle.com/

Edited by Scouse123

On 21/04/2018 at 5:44 PM, ubonjoe said:

in that situation l.tske 4 seats goodnight

5 hours ago, Media1 said:

in that situation l.tske 4 seats goodnight

Yes, many a time I have seen you and your soulmates displaying such thoughtfullness.

Nice to see that, across race and culture, humanity is willing to at least share its selfishness.

• Sad 1

On 4/23/2018 at 7:20 PM, scorecard said:

There's one called sleep box which has individual small full bedrooms and I think shared toilet / shower facilities, just checked their website, from 480.00Baht per night incl tax.

Website - http://www.sleepboxbymiracle.com/

Website has some photos.

Good luck. 

480 baht PER HOUR, 8 hours will cost you over 2000...

• Sad 1

On 24/4/2561 at 10:49 AM, Scouse123 said:

There is a new place in Don Muang called Sleepbox, I have used it. They have small comfortable rooms and showers ( not shared but compact! ) and a bar outside selling beer, spirits and reasonably priced snacks. Rooms can be rented by the hour, two, three or four hours. It's on the 4th floor, terminal 2 at Don Muang.

Scorecard, It is NOT 480 baht a night, that is for the first hour but they do deals for three hours and different deals depending on what time of day or night it is.

If he just wants to ' bum around ' in the airport, he will have no problems with security and also there are various outlets open throughout the night in there to buy stuff from 7-11 or Family Mart type places.

http://www.sleepboxbymiracle.com/

My error, my apology, yes it's an hourly rate.

By good luck I've never had to do an overnighter at an airport. If I did have such a long wait over and if there's plenty of spots in the airport halls etc., to curl up, with legs and arms wrapped around all possessions then I would probably consider taking the sleep box for just one hour to get a good shower n shave etc., change to some fresh clothes, but each to their own of course.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

Well, he survived the night OK although I don't think sleeping figured high on the agenda.  For security I lent him my retractable wire lock, which at least prevents opportunistic bag grabbing.  It usually lives in my camera bag and provides some reassurance at least.

s-l225.jpg

Main complaint: It was cold and although he'd expected that, his jacket wasn't heavy enough to stay comfortable.

Edited by Greenside
Early morning grammar

22 hours ago, Hardie said:

480 baht PER HOUR, 8 hours will cost you over 2000...

Bargain, compared to 8 hours sitting in  plastic chair in a big bright, busy and noisy airport with your bags wrapped around various limbs in case you open your eyes and they've been opened and rummaged. 

At least give the Thai baggage handlers a chance to get the good stuff. 

• Haha 1