Could this be a criminal Scam by people who are not from PayPal?

jenny2017

Here's what the e-mail looks like, completely different to the normal ones:

I know what the usual PayPal page looks like and this one must be a fake one, can anybody please help me out on that?

PayPal

We Need Your Help To Resolved Unauthorized Activities. ( This sentence sounds very strange and I have never seen one like that coming from PayPal.)

Dear Jenny2017@,

Weq jduust0 wanvted to cjonf6iqrm tchat you've chaanged7 your4 paswsbword.h Unf6ogrtunateoly, our ssyysteem d7e4tfect5ecd that yqobur acycolunt haos beenm loggedd Flrovm Unknowne Devmi7cdem,..
If you have recently not signed in to your account and believe someone may have accessed your account, log in to your PayPal Account  and change your password as soon as possible

What to do

Log in to your PayPal account as soon as possible. We may ask you to confirm information you provided when you created your account to make sure you're the account holder. We'll then ask you to change your password and security questions.

You should also do the following for your own protection:

• Check your account details (address, email, phone, etc.) to make sure they're accurate.
  • Review your account activity to make sure you recognize the transactions made recently.
  • Report any unknown or unauthorized activity. Go to the Resolution Center and click Dispute a Transaction
  • Secure Account

Secure Account

Sincerely,
PayPal

Edited by Scott
Drinking more beer

14 minutes ago, Airalee said:

Was there a link to follow in the email?  If so, I’d be wary of clicking it and would go directly to PayPal’s website by typing the url yourself and then contact them.  Do they have an option that enables you to contact them by phone?

Thank you very much for your post. There's a link in a blue field, but I can't even copy and paste it, but it might be better so. I've got Kaspersky, so I could give it a try and clicked on it. Kaspersky and even Windows Defender come up with huge Warnings. Where could i report this sender? No option by phone, that'a rip off website made up by some criminals. They want that people change passwords, show all secret questions,etc..and then they can empty your account. 

Edited by jenny2017

15 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

Thank you very much for your post. There's a link in a blue field, but I can't even copy and paste it, but it might be better so. I've got Kaspersky, so I could give it a try and clicked on it. Kaspersky and even Windows Defender come up with huge Warnings. Where could i report this sender? No option by phone, that'a rip off website made up by some criminals. They want that people change passwords, show all secret questions,etc..and then they can empty your account. 

Probably can’t report them is my guess.  I get all kinds of phishing emails too.  If I ever get an email from my bank I call them.  I never click on a link in an email because I assume it will be fake.  I don’t trust any of the kaspersky or other anti-virus programs to let me know if a link is safe.  As KhunBENQ says above, only access the site through your bookmarks or by directly typing their website into your browser.

Hope everything ends up ok.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Airalee said:

Probably can’t report them is my guess.  I get all kinds of phishing emails too.  If I ever get an email from my bank I call them.  I never click on a link in an email because I assume it will be fake.  I don’t trust any of the kaspersky or other anti-virus programs to let me know if a link is safe.  As KhunBENQ says above, only access the site through your bookmarks or by directly typing their website into your browser.

Hope everything ends up ok.

Thanks, a lot, no problem at all,  but it could be very dangerous for people who are using PayPal and follow their instruction. After only a few minutes, they'll have all money that was available. 

I guess there's somewhere a leak where people can buy PayPal E-mail addresses. 

Edited by jenny2017

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

A quick google let me assume by 99% that it is a scam/pishing.

Good that you can't click any link from within the email.

I guess you have not changed your password?

So to be sure:

1) delete the email

2) Open the link for paypal from your bookmarks using your known account/password data. If it works, just forget this email.

If not in your bookmarks, this should lead you to the legit site:

https:\\www.paypal.com

(copy and paste to the address field of your browser)

There's a link you can click on, but Kaspersky and Windows Defender freaked out. 

Of course did I not do anything they want. Thank you very much, please inform friends and relatives of these gangsters. If someone doesn't know much about the real Pay Pal and goes all the steps, they'll have the password, secret answer of a question, etc and empty that PayPal in seconds. Untraceable with the right tools. :thumbsup:

I also figured out that only the real PayPal goes into Kaspersky protected mode, as well as Ebay. 

If you've got such a good AV system and you see that any banking activity isn't done in a protected browser, there's something wrong and you should check on it, or don;t do it. 

Edited by jenny2017

when it comes to emails/messages related to paypal and the like, always be suspicious. NEVER click any link from such emails, even if you think it's legitimate. always type in the full paypal site URL and make sure that the https is there. go ahead and sign in to check if something funny really is going on with account.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ravip said:

I received the following email today with a link to click. But the give-away was the senders email marked in red.

image.png.cb9a24d7ff19388a6f9040de7d88a3a9.png

The "We Need Your Help To Resolved Unauthorized Activities" says it all. 

I hope that you've informed the real PayPal that they do something. 

Watch out for phishing.

Online hoaxes are getting more sophisticated – making it tough to know whether an email, SMS or website is real. It’s important you learn how to spot the fakes so you stay safer online. If you believe you've received a phishing email, don’t respond and don’t click on any links or open any attachments. Simply forward the entire email to [email protected] and delete it.

Edited by jenny2017
  • Thanks 1

I always click on the senders mail address to reveal who they really are if I feel it’s suspicious.

I get the Apple scam every other day, so I never click on any links before checking the sender & logging in through the Authenticated URL.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

The "We Need Your Help To Resolved Unauthorized Activities" says it all. 

I hope that you've informed the real PayPal that they do something. 

Watch out for phishing.

Online hoaxes are getting more sophisticated – making it tough to know whether an email, SMS or website is real. It’s important you learn how to spot the fakes so you stay safer online. If you believe you've received a phishing email, don’t respond and don’t click on any links or open any attachments. Simply forward the entire email to [email protected] and delete it.

Yes I did report it to  [email protected].

Thank you.

• Thanks 1

I got a very similar email back around December. I called Paypal offices in the USA to ask about it and their email scam team confirmed it was phishing.

Don't be surprised if you find that your account will also have attempts made on it to directly log in. Since I got the phishing attempt my Paypal won't allow me to make payments until I reset the password, and one time it gave me a message about multiple attempts being made to login from some town in Michigan, USA. Anyway its now a bit inconvenient to have to reset the password every time I try to make a payment on paypal. 

I tried to contact them about this reset password problem but they referred me to Thai staff at Paypal Thailand who told me something like "Your account have no promplem sir. You don't worry OK?" I had asked them about the reset password problem and they either didn't comprehend the question or decided to ignore it. The staff member was more interested in gathering info about me and  asked me one too many intrusive questions such as what was my address and telephone number and do I stay in Thailand which I of course decided was better to ignore. Do they not have info about the Thai bank I use that is linked to the account, why would they need to know what my address was? I don't know, just an unfounded uneasy feeling I have, but I wonder if the emailing isn't some inside job from within Paypal.

Edited by Shaunduhpostman

34 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

It's a scam email (as many have pointed out) - just someone trying to get your details. :sad:

Why is this a scam? 

Sure,  there are a lot of fake and phishing mails, but there was no visible link offered to click.

The mail asks to login into PayPal to verify. The mail didn't provide a direct link (other than the logo which could even be legit). Nothing wrong to just login into your account to check things out. 

What if a hacker did login into the pp account and pp is warning about this? 

First question to op would be: did you access your pp account by a different device or browser?

Because that will trigger pp to send you such mail. 

Furthermore, wad the mail sent to the exact same mail as your registration at pp?

9 minutes ago, Cheops said:

Why is this a scam? 

Sure,  there are a lot of fake and phishing mails, but there was no visible link offered to click.

The mail asks to login into PayPal to verify. The mail didn't provide a direct link (other than the logo which could even be legit). Nothing wrong to just login into your account to check things out. 

First question to op would be: did you access your pp account by a different device or browser?

Furthermore, wad the mail sent to the exact same mail as your registration at pp?

Please, try to understand what they are trying to do with you.

They want that you change your PayPal password, see the security question and do all that they have access to your PayPal account to milk you dry.

P.S. And there is a link you can click on/ 

WE Need Your Help....is the one.

If that's not a scam, I'll eat my keyboard with Somtham. 

Edited by jenny2017
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Cheops said:

Why is this a scam? 

NEVER EVER trust an email 'link' asking "verfication" of financial/login details.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, darrendsd said:

As a Paypal user I can tell you that email is a 100% scam

The first clue is that they are not addressing you by your full name, PP always do this

Never ever click on links, go direct to your PP account to check

I'm a business pp user and NO, pp will NOT address you by your full name, but with your registered username. They will however your full registered name in the to: field of the mail.

Just a couple of days ago I received a mail from pp about a possible unauthorized pp transaction on one of my sites. Addressed to my registered business username. 

As mentioned in my post, that mail did not ask to click on any link. Just to check your pp account by yourself.

Is that a scam? Maybe, but not necessarily. 

18 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

Please, try to understand what they are trying to do with you.

They want that you change your PayPal password, see the security question and do all that they have access to your PayPal account to milk you dry.

P.S. And there is a link you can click on/ 

WE Need Your Help....is the one.

If that's not a scam, I'll eat my keyboard with Somtham. 

It could be a scam, but did you read my question: did you recently access your pp account by a different device or browser?

Tell me: how can someone get all your login details if you browse to the pp site, make sure it starts with https and login to check your account? 

They only could get your info if they installed a key logger on your pc.

I'm on the internet for about 26 years now and built several sites. I know which mails are a scam, but your mail could be legit. 

If I was you I would check out my pp account. Up to you.

1 minute ago, Cheops said:

It could be a scam, but did you read my question: did you recently access your pp account by a different device or browser?

Tell me: how can someone get all your login details if you browse to the pp site, make sure it starts with https and login to check your account? 

They only could get your info if they installed a key logger on your pc.

I'm on the internet for about 26 years now and built several sites. I know which mails are a scam, but your mail could be legit. 

If I was you I would check out my pp account. Up to you.

Thank you very much, i don't have a problem with my PayPal, when I sign in Kaspersky takes me to a protected site.

Nobody got any of my login details, because I knew from the beginning that it was a scam.

I do not have any spyware such as a key logger installed on any of my machines. 

How can you make such a statement that the site could be legit? It's a 100 % scam site where people are looking for victims.

The reason why i posted here was not because I've lost my money at Pay Pal, I just wanted to warn others on here not to make the mistake and follow their advice.

Thank you very much for your consideration and help.