Could this be a criminal Scam by people who are not from PayPal?

jenny2017

1 minute ago, jenny2017 said:

Thank you very much, i don't have a problem with my PayPal, when I sign in Kaspersky takes me to a protected site.

Nobody got any of my login details, because I knew from the beginning that it was a scam.

I do not have any spyware such as a key logger installed on any of my machines. 

How can you make such a statement that the site could be legit? It's a 100 % scam site where people are looking for victims.

The reason why i posted here was not because I've lost my money at Pay Pal, I just wanted to warn others on here not to make the mistake and follow their advice.

Thank you very much for your consideration and help. 

jenny2017, I just see you posted another topic about security pop up or something.

Be careful, it could be that your pc is affected with a Trojan or something. The popup referring to hotnail (not hotmail) is raising flags.

Maybe your pc is affected with a Trojan (which could have a key logger), after which they mail you to login to your pp account.

One thing though, pp does really address people to their registered username, which could be your full name, but I use a business name. 

Another thing is that a legit mail from pp always has their business address on the bottom of the mail with a checksum code. 

If it has poor grammar, as this one does, and random capitalisation, as this one does, it's a scam. Mind you, I once received an email from HSBC that had a word missing in a sentence. I contacted them as I suspected a scam and they said the email was genuine. Dumber and dumber.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cheops said:

jenny2017, I just see you posted another topic about security pop up or something.

Be careful, it could be that your pc is affected with a Trojan or something. The popup referring to hotnail (not hotmail) is raising flags.

Maybe your pc is affected with a Trojan (which could have a key logger), after which they mail you to login to your pp account.

One thing though, pp does really address people to their registered username, which could be your full name, but I use a business name. 

Another thing is that a legit mail from pp always has their business address on the bottom of the mail with a checksum code. 

No, please. When that setup happened I think I was the one who misspelled hotmail, and wrote an n instead of m like in hotmail.

I'm not a newbie and usually pretty good, no matter if it's soft, -or hardware related. My machines are clean, I swear.

There's neither a Trojan, nor an another serious virus on any of them. And the n problem has got nothing to do with PayPal at all.

But thank you very much for your input, keep it going, it's great when we can help others to help themselves. 

On ‎23‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 1:09 AM, jenny2017 said:

Thank you very much for your post. There's a link in a blue field, but I can't even copy and paste it, but it might be better so. I've got Kaspersky, so I could give it a try and clicked on it. Kaspersky and even Windows Defender come up with huge Warnings. Where could i report this sender? No option by phone, that'a rip off website made up by some criminals. They want that people change passwords, show all secret questions,etc..and then they can empty your account. 

YES JENNY

Its a scam, I had had similar myself

If It was from PAYPAL they would have used your full name...not your email address

Hopefully you haven't responded to this yet mate

Send a copy to PAYPAL so they can investigate this

Cheers

Geoff

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GTgrizzly said:

YES JENNY

Its a scam, I had had similar myself

If It was from PAYPAL they would have used your full name...not your email address

Hopefully you haven't responded to this yet mate

Send a copy to PAYPAL so they can investigate this

Cheers

Geoff

I knew it from the beginning and not just Kaspersky, but also Windows defender warned me. I opened this thread to warn other people not to fall into their trap.

Thanks Geoff. 

On ‎23‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 1:09 AM, jenny2017 said:

Thank you very much for your post. There's a link in a blue field, but I can't even copy and paste it, but it might be better so. I've got Kaspersky, so I could give it a try and clicked on it. Kaspersky and even Windows Defender come up with huge Warnings. Where could i report this sender? No option by phone, that'a rip off website made up by some criminals. They want that people change passwords, show all secret questions,etc..and then they can empty your account. 

Heres a copy of one of my emails from them

Dear Geoff ( I removed my surname but it was on here ) , 
You added $2,000.00 AUD to your  balance from your bank account. Your money is now available in your account.
Sincerely
© 1999-2017 PayPal. The PayPal service is provided by PayPal Australia Pty Limited (ABN 93 111 195 389) which holds Australian Financial Services Licence number 304962. Any information provided is general only and does not take into account your objectives, financial situation or needs. Please read and consider the
Combined Financial Services Guide and Product Disclosure Statemen

• Like 1

On ‎23‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 2:30 AM, jenny2017 said:

Thanks, a lot, no problem at all,  but it could be very dangerous for people who are using PayPal and follow their instruction. After only a few minutes, they'll have all money that was available. 

I guess there's somewhere a leak where people can buy PayPal E-mail addresses. 

No not really

Once they get your email address they send it to everyone they have in the hope that someone will have a PAYPAL account

Many people are using it these days as it is a secure payment method so wont be hard to pick up a few on this.. its just a gamble for them hit and miss

• Like 1

i have also gotten various false mails regarding my paypal account,

the bank account that paypal is linked to is dead so i hope that is the end of it.

i have tried without success to contact paypal with the intent to terminate my paypal account but alas, i cant contact the suckers

On 4/25/2018 at 5:25 PM, Cheops said:

I'm a business pp user and NO, pp will NOT address you by your full name, but with your registered username. They will however your full registered name in the to: field of the mail.

Just a couple of days ago I received a mail from pp about a possible unauthorized pp transaction on one of my sites. Addressed to my registered business username. 

As mentioned in my post, that mail did not ask to click on any link. Just to check your pp account by yourself.

Is that a scam? Maybe, but not necessarily. 

What username? There is no username on PP unless you mean a business name

The email the OP received is 1 million % a scam, PP do not address users by a email address or by saying "Dear Customer" As a business PP user i'm surprised you can't see this is a scam  straight away

On 22/04/2018 at 10:09 PM, jenny2017 said:

Best to report it to Paypal themselves..

Nowdays cannot even trust emails....on any financially related issue, should it be a bank, internet phone bill etc , a quick phone call seems the safest option when in doubt !

The hardest part  will be to be patient and stay cool,  until somebody answers the phone on the other end....:whistling:

:welcomeani::WPFflags:

11 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

Nowdays cannot even trust emails....on any financially related issue, should it be a bank, internet phone bill etc , a quick phone call seems the safest option when in doubt !

The hardest part  will be to be patient and stay cool,  until somebody answers the phone on the other end....:whistling:

:welcomeani::WPFflags:

That's when the call center scammers come in :spamsign: