New Visa Category

I just visited the Thai Consul at it's new Premises in Adelaide (address given in previous post) and inqired about an "O" visa, because my spouse is Thai.

The young Lady who is the Honourary Consul's assistant informed me this is an "OA" visa.

Anyone heard of this, is it new or has it allways been so?

My last visa issued jan2003 only had an "O" on it.

A year ago when I referred to my non-immigrant 0 visa as an OA, I was advised by the gurus in the forum that O-A is the non-immigrant 0 visa issued outside of Thailand and the non-immigrant 0 visa issued inside of Thaialand, as mine was, was a simple 0, without the A. We speculated at the time whether the "A" stood for "abroad".

I checked my passport at the time and sure enough, there was no "A" following the "O", witten in hand just above the visa stamp.

A year ago when I referred to my non-immigrant 0 visa as an OA, I was advised by the gurus in the forum that O-A is the non-immigrant 0 visa issued outside of Thailand and the non-immigrant 0 visa issued inside of Thaialand

almost all non immigrant visas are issued outside thailand from a thai consulate. extensions based on non immigrant visas are granted by thai immigration once in thailand.

The young Lady who is the Honourary Consul's assistant informed me this is an "OA" visa.

bronco, when you come back into thailand compare your entry stamp expiration date with your visa expiration date to see if they match. some members have posted the OA allows more than 90 days per entry.

Ok came in to LOS 12 Feb and admitted untill 12 May and from what I can read on stamp says " non O " (hand written)

that is normal for a non immigrant O

the previous posts from members were for retirement non immigrant OA visas that required showing retirement funds to a thai consulate. they were then granted non immigrant OA visas and then had entry stays matching their visas. the topic at the time was "is this better than an extension"

The OA has been used for retirement based one year visas with paperwork done overseas and allowed one year stay on entry. Believe most have said the "A" means that it has been "approved for one year stay" prior to entry or transfer of money into a Thai account. Do not know if this is also being used for support visas but have only seen people with retirement type commenting on it so far (AFAIK).

Huski: What you say about the propnderance of non-immigrant 0 visas being issued outside of Thailand may be true since it is not widely known that one can change from a tourist visa to a non-immigrant 0 on the 4th floor of the main immigration office.

Speaking only to non-immigrant 0 and one year extentions for retirees, there is far less hassle to get your non-immigrant 0 here in Thailand once you enter on a tourist visa that going to consulates outside of Thailand who apply different requirements and sometimes make it even impossible. I know, I tried two countries before changing here in Thailand.

Here retirees don't need a criminal clearance or a letter from an embassy, in most cases. Keeping in mind that its all up to the immigration officer in question.

The OA has been used for retirement based one year visas with paperwork done overseas and allowed one year stay on entry. Believe most have said the "A" means that it has been "approved for one year stay" prior to entry or transfer of money into a Thai account. Do not know if this is also being used for support visas but have only seen people with retirement type commenting on it so far (AFAIK).

The O-A can certainly be applied to support visa's as well Lop, but remains a bit of a problem with the clearance difficulties needed (health and police ). It remains a lot easier to get the extensions in Thailand.

A year ago when I referred to my non-immigrant 0 visa as an OA, I was advised by the gurus in the forum that O-A is the non-immigrant 0 visa issued outside of Thailand and the non-immigrant 0 visa issued inside of Thaialand, as mine was, was a simple 0, without the A. We speculated at the time whether the "A" stood for "abroad".

I checked my passport at the time and sure enough, there was no "A" following the "O", witten in hand just above the visa stamp.

The A means APPROVED and enables a one year stay on arrival at an airport in Thailand. It also applies to a B visa and other categories as well.

Dr. Pat: Are you makig any distiction between "0"s issued outside of Thailand or at the airport from "0"s issued within Thailand?

See my post on my "O" without the "A" issued by the main immigration office when I changed my status from touritst to non-imm 0 with one year retirment extention.

Indo-Siam: And all along I thought the "O-A" stood for "Overtly Advanced".

• 2 weeks later...

I've just been reading the Los Angeles website's "requirements" list for an O-A. I am, indeed a geezer (58); I do plan to retire in LOS, and I do eventually plan to show 800,000 a year in combined pension and Thai bank savings. The website asserts that I must jump through all the hoops, i.e., health, non-criminality (how does one assert that??) upon my application, that is, from the US. Is this the most efficient way to do this? My wife, alas, is also an american citizen. So my question is really one of efficiency, as the website point-blank asserts that a non-immigrant O can ONLY be issued for employment, teaching, research, retirement, etc., and NOT for any reason that would allow me to get there and set everything up. Would you recommend that I come as a tourist (30 day allowance) and attempt then to get an O-A (retiree), or maybe get a tourist 60 day visa or what? The sample form on your site, on which the person cites "tourism" for a non-immigrant O will apparently not be accepted in the US. Thanks walker

You must have a visa so you should obtain a tourist visa (if you can not obtain a non immigrant type) and when the money is in the bank go to immigration and request a change and extension of stay. Most Consulates would probably still issue you a 90 day non immigrant visa if you tell them it is for getting settled and money into Thai account and application for extension of stay but not sure about LA as they do not have the best press. The Honorary Consulates are much easier to deal with.

I believe that mine is a 'multiple entry, non-immigrant O type visa' (I am at work at the present) issued in the UK on the basis of me and the thai wife having to visit (and potentially stay) whilst we purchase our land and to oversee our house being built. If memory serves me correctly I don't have any 'A' on the visa but I can confirm that I have a red stamp across the visa that states 'No Extension' (or words to that effect), does anyone here know what this 'no extension' means? does it mean that I can't later apply for an extension to this visa and I must re-apply (possibly with different motives) or what ??

All info gratefully received,

D

:o

btw. I'm < 50 years young ...

You must have a visa so you should obtain a tourist visa (if you can not obtain a non immigrant type) and when the money is in the bank go to immigration and request a change and extension of stay. Most Consulates would probably still issue you a 90 day non immigrant visa if you tell them it is for getting settled and money into Thai account and application for extension of stay but not sure about LA as they do not have the best press. The Honorary Consulates are much easier to deal with.

Thanks, Lopburi3. Colorado has an honorary consul and it sounds like an excellent (and probably workable) solution to a clumsy situation. walker

Lopburi3.....UPDATE......You're a goddamned genius. After days of flailing around, I took your advice and called the local honorary consul and talked to the nicest, most reasonable, accommodating woman, who said "no problem, just bring in your passports, some money (cash only) and the required photos and it'll all be done in a flash"....a non Immigrant O with absolutely no grief. I clearly owe you at least a beer. Thanks walker

I took your advice and called the local honorary consul and talked to the nicest, most reasonable, accommodating woman,
Believe it is probably the same person who took care of visas when they were located just outside the old airport and she is very nice. I arrived in afternoon one time (outside hours) but she still took time to issue a visa. Glad it worked out.
states 'No Extension' (or words to that effect), does anyone here know what this 'no extension' means? does it mean that I can't later apply for an extension to this visa and I must re-apply (possibly with different motives) or what ??

It seems to just be advise that you can not extend it as with a tourist visa. Although most of the offices will extend it from 15-30 days if you have a valid reason these days. Your stay can still be extended for a year using this visa as the base.

And that would not have an "A" on it as you will ge a 90 day stay and can return for any number of 90 day stays until visa expires.