Man goes into 7-Eleven to make statement about plastic bag waste

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

He needs to go home, he left his brain there.

Why should he go home? Do you think he is not allowed to express an opinion? He is not breaking any laws. 

He makes a good point... If his actions gain some publicity and help make those around us in Thailand become more aware of the unnecessary overuse of plastic bags then he has done a good thing. 

Conversely, those who suggest... 'go home' are doing nothing more than spouting off negatively against someone attempting something positive.

Is it just because it is a foreigner that you don't like someone making a highly valid and relevant point?

18 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Why should he go home? Do you think he is not allowed to express an opinion? He is not breaking any laws. 

He makes a good point... If his actions gain some publicity and help make those around us in Thailand become more aware of the unnecessary overuse of plastic bags then he has done a good thing. 

Conversely, those who suggest... 'go home' are doing nothing more than spouting off negatively against someone attempting something positive.

Is it just because it is a foreigner that you don't like someone making a highly valid and relevant point?

Totally disagree with your comments, the only thing Thais would say seeing a farang behaving like that is....Farang baa.

I seem to be the only customer in 7-11that doesn't take a bag. I don't buy much in 7-11  but always turn down the bag, and the straws AND the plastic spoons !!

The tourists are all as bad as the locals they don't think twice about accepting a bag.

5 minutes ago, cmsally said:

I seem to be the only customer in 7-11that doesn't take a bag. I don't buy much in 7-11  but always turn down the bag, and the straws AND the plastic spoons !!

The tourists are all as bad as the locals they don't think twice about accepting a bag.

Tourists aren't familiar with the plastic habits here. It also took me a while to realize what's going on.

7-11 staff are very quick putting a chewing gum in a plastic bag,

thinking this is "Good Service".

It's the responsibility of 7-11 headquarters to do something about it.

They could save a lot of $.

12 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Totally disagree with your comments, the only thing Thais would say seeing a farang behaving like that is....Farang baa.

haha... I think anyone looking at this would suggest 'Farang baa'....  anyone would have to be a 'few sandwiches short of a picnic' to carry out such an endeavor...  I'm quite sure anyone seeing anyone (Foreign or Thai) do this would suggest they are nuts...  But, if his message gets across then there can only be a positive outcome.... I hope he is featured in the Thai news, his message is a good one. 

Unless of course, you are fearful of being 'tarred with the same 'farang baa' brush' which is better than being tarred with the 'grumpy farang brush'.....

5 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

haha... I think anyone looking at this would suggest 'Farang baa'....  anyone would have to be a 'few sandwiches short of a picnic' to carry out such an endeavor...  I'm quite sure anyone seeing anyone (Foreign or Thai) do this would suggest they are nuts...  But, if his message gets across then there can only be a positive outcome.... I hope he is featured in the Thai news, his message is a good one. 

Unless of course, you are fearful of being 'tarred with the same 'farang baa' brush' which is better than being tarred with the 'grumpy farang brush'.....

How would his message get across?

Staff are trained by management to hand out all the plastic.

Only way to get the message across is by pulling silly stunts like that outside CP bosses homes.

1 minute ago, colinneil said:

Only way to get the message across is by pulling silly stunts like that outside CP bosses homes.

His message has already got across - You and I are discussing this...  and with some news coverage so will others. 

I agree, protesting outside the CP bosses house would get a strong message across (and also likely get him arrested) - but its not the only way... the 7-11 stunt is another method, as would protesting in a shopping mall, or on the BTS, or in front of parliament etc etc... this is just one of the numerous methods and while it is a 'little whacky' I don't see for any reason why we would not be in support of a harmless protest such as this, unless of course, you disagree with the message - in which case I'd suggest you take a look outside of your house and not see a plastic bag littering the street. 

I agree he should protest outside the houses of the CP bosses,  but will only get arrested and maybe deported.

The bosses don't care about the plastic pollution , but they do care about their own wealth and will protect themselves whatever it takes 

I suggest a Thai should do this protest instead of a foreigner. There are some Thais that do care about their environment. 

Would you care what the Thai opinion is? They are responsible for so much pollution, including treating their own country as a garbage dump.

All of my Thai friends disagree with the use of plastic bags and the handing out of straws and spoons etc.   You'd be surprised how many Thais want plastic bags etc banned.

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Calm down Dear ! and then Go Home with him, you have to be a complete Knob to protest in this Fashion, just look at his Face you can see the vacant expression, i bet that he is also a Cyclist and a Vegan just like you, coming to this country and protesting in this Fashion is totally unacceptable and embarrassing and disrespectful to the Thais, i bet 90% of the Thais have no idea whatsoever what it is that he is actually protesting about and will consider him to be just another waste of Space Falang of which there are far to many as we all know.    :saai:

2 hours ago, colinneil said:

You should read more instead of working on your post like count, because there are quite a few articles in the news section where CP _ Big C - Tesco and the likes announce that they try ti reduce the use of plastic in their shops

1 hour ago, seancbk said:

All of my Thai friends disagree with the use of plastic bags and the handing out of straws and spoons etc.   You'd be surprised how many Thais want plastic bags etc banned.

Or how many just not accept plastic bags.. ask people to put more articles in one bag. I see it often.

3 hours ago, cmsally said:

I usually take a small backpack to carry stuff back on my bike. They always look shocked when you don't want a pack of Bologna and chilli meat slices microwaved, then almost pass out when you refuse the bag, spoons and of course 2 straws for 1 can of beer! (I mean seriously - I thought drinking Chang beer on ice was terrible, but then to drink it through a straw?)

Guessed it would be a stupid Farlang. I`m sure those at the 7-Eleven head office must be shaking in their boots.

Except for making himself look like a total prat, this will have no impact on the distribution of plastic bags whatsoever. Unless taking this issue right to the very top that gains the attention of the main media, then the guy is wasting his time.

19 minutes ago, Acemaker said:

Calm down Dear ! and then Go Home with him, you have to be a complete Knob to protest in this Fashion, just look at his Face you can see the vacant expression, i bet that he is also a Cyclist and a Vegan just like you, coming to this country and protesting in this Fashion is totally unacceptable and embarrassing and disrespectful to the Thais, i bet 90% of the Thais have no idea whatsoever what it is that he is actually protesting about and will consider him to be just another waste of Space Falang of which there are far to many as we all know.    :saai:

:clap2:excellent post... You have drawn the conclusion (or at least made a bet, with whom its not clear) that he [the subject of the topic] is a Cyclist and a Vegan.... 

You have also concluded that I too am a Cyclist and a Vegan... 

You have brilliantly concluded (well, again, made a bet, but with whom its not clear) that Thai's (70 million of them?) find protesting in this Fashion 'Totally unacceptable'... 'Embarrassing' and 'Disrespectful'....  erm... did you make up that little gem?.... oh dear, you did, didn't you?...  not intelligent enough to bring something better to the table?

You have come up with a 90% statistic (well, again, you make a bet with someone, about your made up statistic) that covers the whole country.... 

In fact, the only realistic comment you have made is to suggest that there are 'waste of space Falangs'... Well, thank you for proving that point. 

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

or the  

• Cranky old bugger  brush

I am known to my regular stores as the "no plastic man". Hong Kong does not issue plastic bags.....you must buy them. Everyone there carries their own bags as I do now. The clerks everywhere say thank you and I have stopped not nearly enough (thousands) of plastic bags from ending up on vacant lots. The big problem now is the tour bus drivers parking for a time near a convenience store or street food vendor and just dropping the styrofoam container anywhere and leaving an excrement deposit, taking parking spaces (where I live) in residential areas every night. These buses in Pattaya are completely out of control. We really need this proposed high speed train with good reliable transport to the center of town on Beach Road. Please carry a big nylon bag folded in your hip pocket and let's try to make a difference. Also, it has been suggested to the government to follow the path of Hong Kong but the plastic bag manufacturers stand in the way. The styrofoam containers can be replaced by cardboard as they were before plastic. The cardboard degrades much faster. How can the Thai pay respects to the land by maintaining a shrine for the land and then throw plastic on it. Please Thai government, save the beauty of your country. 

1 hour ago, Acemaker said:

i bet 90% of the Thais have no idea whatsoever what it is that he is actually protesting about

There may be a salient point in that. 

Sorry to quote selectively, and I get your point, I just found this illuminating.  No offense intended toward you at all.

2 hours ago, Acemaker said:

i bet 90% of the Thais have no idea whatsoever what it is that he is actually protesting about and will consider him to be just another waste of Space Falang

Unfortunately this is a valid point. I am a Space Falang . :sad:

6 hours ago, cmsally said:

I honestly think it doesn't occur to them to refuse it.  Or they don't think it's a big deal, or something.

Recently I've had a couple vendors thank me when I tell them I don't want a bag (I usually have my own).  I assume because it saves them the cost of a bag...

6 hours ago, maximillian said:

Tourists aren't familiar with the plastic habits here. It also took me a while to realize what's going on.

7-11 staff are very quick putting a chewing gum in a plastic bag,

thinking this is "Good Service".

It's the responsibility of 7-11 headquarters to do something about it.

They could save a lot of $.

Yes, if the cashiers are trained that way then they haven't much choice... at least not if working service jobs here is like in the U.S. where their boss will come down on them for not putting something in a bag...

1 hour ago, balo said:

Unfortunately this is a valid point. I am a Space Falang . :sad:

I want to be a Space Falang, but I didn't study the right things in school.  :(

Mrs Fantom and I always take our own carry bags shopping. Just say, in Thai 'no plastic bag please' always met with a nod and a smile and gentle assistance packing our bag.

There is an excellent Australian tv program called 'The War on Waste' that really rammed the point home using similar strategies to this chap.

Now don't get me started on plastic coffee cups! And those stupid plastic stir sticks.

Good on this chap and all strength to his bow.

It’s truly mind boggling for myself, and many other foreigners, how little though goes to disposal of rubbish here in Thailand. Especially plastic. 

I took this pic @ Songkran in Korat. Just before and shortly after taking this I just couldn’t look at it anymore so continued picking BB3FED66-4A0B-4C8A-A4D9-A38C611170F2.thumb.jpeg.b878b804f6f70d39727327e8a670ad3b.jpegup most of the trash and placed it in the bag. 

I was congratulated and told I was such a ‘good man’ by many in the vicinity. 

Sure enough 30mins later it was much the same. 

They just dont have the education or the ability to recognise the problem. 

Archived