A friend and his wife are over 50 years old

They want to get to Thailand     
To do a retirement visa in Thailand
Please remind me

REQUIREMENTS FOR RETIREMENT VISA

Edited by dauu

17 minutes ago, dauu said:

To do a retirement visa in Thailand

I assume you are actually asking about applying for a one year extension of stay (it is not a visa) based upon retirement at a immigration office.

What type of entry to the country do they have now or will have when they enter the country?

A non immigrant visa entry is required to apply for the extension. It is possible to apply for a 90 day non immigrant visa entry at immigration if they have 15 days remaining on a tourist visa or visa exempt entry.

To apply for the extension of stay they will need to have 800k baht in a Thai bank for 60 day or proof of 65k baht income proven by a letter from their embassy or a combination of the 2 totaling 800k baht.

Are they both going to apply for extensions based upon retirement or is only of them going apply and the other obtain an extension based upon being the spouse of the one that applied for the extension?

Thanks

That's why I ask
So
1-Need to arrive with non-immigrant visa-Is it important to length the period in months?
From your answer! You can apply for 90 day non immigrant visa at immigration
(Is Visa on arrival good?
2 - 15 days left for the end of the visa period - possible to apply for an extension / receipt
3 - Declaration from the embassy - income proven
4. Confirmation of residence?
5. Medical certificate?
When do they receive the visa for a year?

• Confused 1

59 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

To apply for the extension of stay they will need to have 800k baht in a Thai bank for 60 day or proof of 65k baht income proven by a letter from their embassy or a combination of the 2 totaling 800k baht.

I haven't really thought about it before but if your pension is in GBP what published exchange rate do they use..??

11 minutes ago, Jeremia Juxtaposed said:

I haven't really thought about it before but if your pension is in GBP what published exchange rate do they use..??

IME they'll (Local Imm Office) take your word for it (within reason) if you arrive at the IO with your own breakdown of calculation.

HTH

Edited by evadgib

6 minutes ago, dauu said:

1-Need to arrive with non-immigrant visa-Is it important to length the period in months?
From your answer! You can apply for 90 day non immigrant visa at immigration
(Is Visa on arrival good?
2 - 15 days left for the end of the visa period - possible to apply for an extension / receipt
3 - Declaration from the embassy - income proven
4. Confirmation of residence?
5. Medical certificate?
When do they receive the visa for a year?

1/2 A single entry non-o visa valid for entry for 3 months will allow a 90 day entry would be best.

As I wrote before it can be done with a 30 day visa exempt entry (not a 15 day visa on arrival). The 15 days remaining can be from the entry or the 30 day extension of it.

3. It has to be at least 65k baht unless using the combination of it an money in bank.

4. Yes

5. No

They can apply for the extension during the last 30 day of the 90 day entry from the visa.

You did not answer this question I asked.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Are they both going to apply for extensions based upon retirement or is only of them going apply and the other obtain an extension based upon being the spouse of the one that applied for the extension?

9 minutes ago, Jeremia Juxtaposed said:

Immigration will use the exchange rate published for the date you apply. Most use a a banks posted rates.

6 minutes ago, Jeremia Juxtaposed said:

At the British Embassy to get the letter..??..I am thinking of going 50:50 as my Health Insurance Premiums increase by digging into my lump sum..

I was referring to when you present the letter to your local Imm office when applying to extend.

To apply for the letter see here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/how-to-obtain-a-pensionincome-letter-for-thai-immigration

Edited by evadgib
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Jeremia Juxtaposed said:

At the British Embassy to get the letter..??..I am thinking of going 50:50 as my Health Insurance Premiums increase by digging into my lump sum..

The 65k baht is gross income prior to any deductions.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, dauu said:

Can they leave and return to thailand?
During the process?

They can get a re-entry permit to keep the remainder of the 90 day entry from the visa valid if they want to travel.

46 minutes ago, Jeremia Juxtaposed said:

They use the Buying Rate published and updated daily by the Bangkok Bank and other major Thai banks

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jeremia Juxtaposed said:

Phitsanulok IO used the Bkk Bank rate at the time I applied.

• Thanks 1