Mor Saeng’s ‘cancer cure’ ineffective, govt tests show

webfact

By The Nation

7ebcefc49ca856270aa621f12049361e.jpeg

Patients urged not to abandon modern medicine in favour of herbal pills.

HERBAL CURES for cancer, prepared by Mor Saeng, have no effect on treating or inhibiting the disease, Dr Narong Aphikulvanich, the Medical Services Department’s deputy director general, said yesterday.

“We have tested it on seven types of cancer including breast, liver, and colorectal cancer,” Narong said. The tests found that the tablets had no inhibitory effect against cancer cells. 

Saengchai, however, remains defiant and confident even after tests suggest his concoctions cannot cure the deadly disease. “Tests are conducted in tubes. But these concoctions are supposed to work inside human bodies,” he said. 

Narong spoke after a meeting with Saengchai, whose real name is Saengchai Haelerttrakul, and relevant officials. 

7c024f4652a6df589c7efd8ed1ad1ea1.jpeg

Saengchai has never received any training as a doctor. However, he is widely referred to as “Mor”, which means “doctor” in Thai, because of the herbal concoctions that he hands out. Many patients who have taken the capsules report feeling better.

Every month, thousands of patients queue up in Prachin Buri province to get some free capsules from Saengchai. Sometimes, the wait is as long as two days. 

Narong did say, however, that “the herbal concoctions are not harmful to patients’ health”. 

He added that a research by the Department of Thai Traditional and Alternative Medicine also found that patients’ quality of life 

improved after taking Saengchai’s herbal concoctions. 

Narong suggested that cancer patients could seek help from Saengchai, if they wanted, but they should not abandon modern medicine. 

Asked whether Saengchai could register his concoctions as health products, Narong said: “At this point, no.” 

Saengchai, who insists he has solid herbal knowledge, said he would continue to hand out his herbal concoctions to give hope to people. 

His herbal capsules have been distributed to people for free for more a decade, with the financial support of some believers. 

On May 2, his capsules will be distributed in three southern border provinces. 

Saengchai has even received an invitation for him to share his capsules with cancer patients in Laos. He said that several foreign doctors had contacted him to buy his herbal formula. 

“But I have turned down their offer because I am worried that |Thai patients will not be able to get these capsules for free anymore,” he said. 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30343872

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-04-25

1 hour ago, webfact said:

“We have tested it on seven types of cancer including breast, liver, and colorectal cancer,” Narong said. The tests found that the tablets had no inhibitory effect against cancer cells. 

modern medicine based on scientific studies versus some guy's money-making placebos ; betting on the former

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Saengchai has never received any training as a doctor. However, he is widely referred to as “Mor”, which means “doctor” in Tha

Thailand must be the easiest country on this planet to become a "Mor" or an "Ajarn" (professor).

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Well knock me over with a feather.! Whoever would have believed that.

Nonetheless some people respond favourably to placebos. So long as his herbal creations do not cause any health injury and people believe they do them good let him continue. After all they are free.

Probably no better or worse than chicken essence which makes a lot of money for certain producers.

11 minutes ago, thhMan said:

Dont know whats worse...
Some quack selling snake oil
or
A govt department lacking any intelligence and spending money on the tests

I don't think the test was a waste of money. If they claim it has cancer beating properties and thousands of people are taking it, then the government should test it. 

1 hour ago, HiSoLowSoNoSo said:

Thailand must be the easiest country on this planet to become a "Mor" or an "Ajarn" (professor).

you forgot general or just about any title of so called high rank, just connections and or money

1 hour ago, Jeremy50 said:

Easy to sell this worthless junk to people who are clutching at straws. All it takes is a greedy and cold hearted scammer like this man.

Go back and read the OP.       The herbal capsules are free.

34 minutes ago, Spaniel said:

Go back and read the OP.       The herbal capsules are free.

And monks are not supposed to handle money, but temples are build on huge plots of valuable land and everything is covered in gold and glitter.

This guy makes a killing with "donations", he does not have to charge. And people donate because they think they get something of value. He is basically scamming all his visitors even though he does not directly charge them.

3 hours ago, HiSoLowSoNoSo said:

Certificates provided by the same prestigious university offering "Bachelor of BBQ" and "Professor of Fruit Carving" majors.

A match made in heaven to milk a lot of money from the uneducated masses. In a civilized country the Bachelor of BBQ would be fired, and the village quack would face charges for fraud and distribution of unapproved, unregistered health supplements.

3 hours ago, Jeremy50 said:

Easy to sell this worthless junk to people who are clutching at straws. All it takes is a greedy and cold hearted scammer like this man.

I thought he was giving it away.

3 hours ago, Jeremy50 said:

absolutely correct, a year ago I called this guy a crook, claiming to give out this crap for free one day a month, feeding off the ill and suffering it is a disgrace.

so I will say it again................he is a crook of the highest order 

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Saengchai, however, remains defiant and confident even after tests suggest his concoctions cannot cure the deadly disease. “Tests are conducted in tubes. But these concoctions are supposed to work inside human bodies,” he said. 

Oh dear...

2 hours ago, thhMan said:

Dont know whats worse...
or

He is not selling it though he received money from some of his supporters. I would judge him differently if he charged for it. 

I don't believe this helps against cancer but it makes people feel better, be it placebo or not it works. As long as people are not paying for it and as long as they keep on with normal treatment i see no problem here. 

Of course he should not say it cures cancer.. that would be a lie.

5 minutes ago, robblok said:

I don't believe this helps against cancer but it makes people feel better, be it placebo or not it works. As long as people are not paying for it and as long as they keep on with normal treatment i see no problem here. 

So giving people the false believe that they are curing, which may cause them to refrain from seeking professional help and die, is no problem in your eyes?

Just now, janclaes47 said:

So giving people the false believe that they are curing, which may cause them to refrain from seeking professional help and die, is no problem in your eyes?

Maybe just Maybe you should read better what you quoted. 

and as long as they keep on with normal treatment i see no problem here. 

Just now, robblok said:

Maybe just Maybe you should read better what you quoted. 

and as long as they keep on with normal treatment i see no problem here. 

Maybe just Maybe, you should think a bit further before you make such a statement.

How do you know which of them keep on with normal treatment?

If he get convicted for this, should the judge calculate how many of his " patients " kept normal treatment, and how many actually died because they got fooled by this quack and base his judgement on those numbers?

2 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

Maybe just Maybe, you should think a bit further before you make such a statement.

How do you know which of them keep on with normal treatment?

If he get convicted for this, should the judge calculate how many of his " patients " kept normal treatment, and how many actually died because they got fooled by this quack and base his judgement on those numbers?

I clearly said that this would be an addition to normal conventional treatment.  Your statement makes no sense as I already said that I would have no problems with it IF they did normal conventional treatment. 

I also said he should not be saying it cures cancer otherwise its a lie.

What your making it about I already covered in my reply I would be against it of-course if patients did not seek conventional treatment and kept up with it. 

2 hours ago, thhMan said:

Dont know whats worse...
or

I would imagine/hope one of the tests would be to make sure people won't die from taking it.

Approximately 2 years ago my wife was diagnosed with breast cancer. She had a mastectomy and underwent chemotherapy and radiation treatment. To say that she had a rough time of it would be a gross understatement.

Coincidentally two other women of around her age from surrounding villages and friends of my wife were also diagnosed with this cancer and they too had mastectomies. However on seeing the side affects of chemotherapy in my wife (complete hair loss, nausea etc) they both declined any further proper medical treatment. One went onto so called 'herbal' treatment obtained here in Thailand and the other opted for some medcine that she purchased online from China.

Both these women claimed to be 'better' and tried to persuade my wife to abandon the chemo and join them in taking their cures.

I put my foot down and said 'no way. You carry on with what the doctors say'.

The outcome is that my wife has now been declared free of cancer and although she has to have periodic check ups every few months her prognosis is excellent.

As for trhe other two women, my wife attended both of their funerals within the last 6 months.

As for the subject of this item. I don't care whether sufferers feel 'better' after taking his useless pills, the fact is that he claims that his remedies cure cancer whereas clearly they DONT. He is a fraud as should be treated as such.

Incidentally the prices the two women paid for their 'cures' were exorbitant. I can't remember the exact amount they quoted but it was thousands of baht for something that obviously didn't work.

I thank Thaksin for the universal health scheme. My wife has seen the medical file on her case and the total cost from first diagnosis to date is just over a million baht. She hasn't had to pay one satang towards that treatment.

Archived