Personal Tax Return

For the first time I need to file a personal tax return in Thailand. (Previously my former employer handled this.) I'm almost totally clueless as to what I should do. Can anyone give me some hints?

For the record, I had a little income from a former employer (who's given me some sort of certificate) and some bank account interest. And I live in a town outside Bangkok where noone seems to speak English (and my Thai is still pretty basic).

Oh, and the Revenue Department's website http://www.rd.go.th is really of no help at all - and the downloadable forms are years out of date.

Thanks.

I'd just go down to the local กรมสรรพากร (revenue department office) with your certificate, passport (with WP and visa) and your yellow Tax ID card.

What happens you'll find is that every year, there are heaps of Thai's who are in exactly the same boat as you. With any luck, there will be a set of computer terminals there to submit your tax return online. In reality, a member of staff will do it for you. If not, just act dumb and lost and someone will help you out. :o

Once done, you'll get a little receipt which looks like a ticket dispensed from a waiting in line machine. That is your tax receipt, and it will tell you that you either owe money, are owed money, or, if your employer is savy enough to deduct the correct amount, you'll owe nothing.

If owed, you'll have to wait a couple of months for the cheque.

In my experience, the Revenue department are one of the most efficient govt departments in Thailand, so it will be unlikely that you will have any hassels there.

In my experience, the Revenue department are one of the most efficient govt departments in Thailand, so it will be unlikely that you will have any hassels there.

I agree. Always been easy for me except when they mis-pronounce my name when calling for me. So I listen for Michelle now. :o I started doing it electronically now on-line. Very easy and painless.