Hanging internet wires claim motorcycle victim in Khon Kaen - woman, 39, is dead

webfact

3 hours ago, Tradewind777 said:

There is no excuse for this insanity. Thailand needs to grow up. They have 21st Century internet yet live like monkeys in the jungle during the 5th century.  Total madness.

Par for the course! TIT.

3 hours ago, outsider said:

I wasn't there, so I can't be sure, but maybe the truck was overloaded beyond maximum permissible height (if such thing existed in Thailand, to start with) and snagged the cables as a result? If yes, then the truck driver/owner is responsible for the woman's death. If not, then the phone company and its contractor should be charged with, I don't know, something along the lines of 'negligence causing death'? But this being Thailand, it will be just another death, and whoever caused it will just carry on. It's just another scene for smartphone warriors to forward to and share with their friends and chat groups.

Oh come now, trucks are never overloaded in Thailand;

alittleoverloaded.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Troll posts and the replies have been removed. 

Offensive posts and the replies have been removed:

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

6 minutes ago, TKDfella said:

Oh come now, trucks are never overloaded in Thailand;

alittleoverloaded.jpg

You mock :-P

Do you know, this is actually a safety feature? It is purposely loaded in such a manner so everybody sees it and nobody runs into the lorry. Safety for road users, safety for the lorry's driver. Who says these people don't think about safety and all?

Edited by outsider

1 minute ago, outsider said:

You mock :-P

Do you know, this is actually a safety feature? It is purposely loaded in such a manner so everybody sees it and nobody runs into the lorry. Safety for road users, safety for the lorry's driver. Who says these people don't think about safety and all?

Yep, you're right the truck I show is truly safe...I mean still got a few inches under the canopy...

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, colinneil said:

Poor unfortunate woman, traveling along then bang shes dead.

All because phone/ internet companies employees are too damn lazy to set the cables at the correct height, wich is a minimum of 5 mtrs.

R.I.P. young lady too young to die.

Cables should be up 5 meters and freights should be lower then 5 meters.
"dawn lazy" AND stupid employees at work, just watch them for some minutes... 

A  number of years ago, I was riding my motorbike on a country road near where I live (in northern Thailand).  I saw 2 villagers who were trying to string some kind of cable or heavy wire up onto the power cables (maybe trying to tap into the power line?), one on either side of the road.  The cable they were working with was up pretty high as I approached them, but just before I got to them, one of the guys dropped his side of the cable and it came down right in front of me.  I ducked my head, and the cable hit the top of my helmet and then went behind me.  If I hadn't ducked, or if the cable had been a couple of inches lower, it would've snapped my head back and probably broken my neck.  A very close call.  I thanked the good Lord for His protection that day for sure.

1 hour ago, daeng1212 said:

A  number of years ago, I was riding my motorbike on a country road near where I live (in northern Thailand).  I saw 2 villagers who were trying to string some kind of cable or heavy wire up onto the power cables (maybe trying to tap into the power line?), one on either side of the road.  The cable they were working with was up pretty high as I approached them, but just before I got to them, one of the guys dropped his side of the cable and it came down right in front of me.  I ducked my head, and the cable hit the top of my helmet and then went behind me.  If I hadn't ducked, or if the cable had been a couple of inches lower, it would've snapped my head back and probably broken my neck.  A very close call.  I thanked the good Lord for His protection that day for sure.

Or perhaps you should just learn to mind your own business and not try to get involved.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

Or perhaps you should just learn to mind your own business and not try to get involved.

if you bother to read the post properly instead of jumping to conclusions he said he was riding down the road when they dropped the cable, there was nothing said about getting involved or anything like that. As far as you are concerned if a person rides down the road near their village and this happens then you say they should mind their own business.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Horrible.

Hard to decide whether it was a botch job with the cables or another crazy over/high loaded truck.

Likely hood is 50/50.

The legal limit for high loaded pickup trucks in Thailand is 3 meters! Safety first.

16 hours ago, outsider said:

I wasn't there, so I can't be sure, but maybe the truck was overloaded beyond maximum permissible height (if such thing existed in Thailand, to start with) and snagged the cables as a result? If yes, then the truck driver/owner is responsible for the woman's death. If not, then the phone company and its contractor should be charged with, I don't know, something along the lines of 'negligence causing death'? But this being Thailand, it will be just another death, and whoever caused it will just carry on. It's just another scene for smartphone warriors to forward to and share with their friends and chat groups.

Nothing will be done about the woman's death as nothing can be done. Whatever they do won't change that. Well, that is the Thai way of thinking, which means they can do nothing with a completely clear conscience. They don't think like us.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, MartinBangkok said:

I got in to an argument about Thai's complete disreguard of safety with a bar lady in soi 13/3 Pattaya a few years ago after an incident. She went ballistic. Her final words were: I AM FROM THAILAND!

My final words were: 

You sure are

There was something or other I once commented on to my wife and she responded with, "It's the Thai way." And I replied with, "Yes. That's the problem." She had no answer to that.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, colinneil said:

Poor unfortunate woman, traveling along then bang shes dead.

All because phone/ internet companies employees are too damn lazy to set the cables at the correct height, wich is a minimum of 5 mtrs.

R.I.P. young lady too young to die.

"Witnesses said that a large high sided delivery van from out of town had dragged down some internet cables near the entrance to the Ken Nakorn Withayalai School "

so the wires could have been at the correct height

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

Perhaps if she was not wearing a helmet, she was the one at fault

The newspaper we can't mention is the only I can see that said she was wearing one.

Edited by bluesofa
grammar

We came home from a trip to find no internet connection.  Next morning I found the cable was split at the middle of the road and the ends hanging from both the pole and roof.  People running over both ends.  nobody moved them off the road for us, family or friends.

The T'provider did arrive promptly.  He pulled the slack from between the other post to do a middle of the road splice, cut off some bad cable, did some black taping in other areas, and left a loop hanging over the road (for the next truck I guess).

Technically speaking, he did have a really cool fiber optic splicing tool and his bamboo ladder to rest on the other wires going over the road.

Servicer told my wife that rats ate the cable.  Never did go up the ladder in the house or look at the anchored loop going into the house?

I showed my wife his work and asked her to call the T'provider for a proper repair.  His work was the only wire with a loop and the lowest hanging wire, I think lower than before.  Did she?  "If truck knocks down cable I will call".  So far she is right and told me I think too much.

There goes her four years of Americanization and just two years after early retirement to Thailand.  But there again, that raw Asian thinking and her amazing Asian beauty (59 looks 39) is what drew me to her to begin with.  Glad she did not pick up too much Americanization.  I will slowly assimilate some Thainess over the years ahead but I don't want her to loose that raw Thainess as well.  Just the right mix of Americanization.

I just wish we had gotten a better repair.  I think about it when I see it every day.