Wifi sharing Extender/Repeater

falangUK

Hi all :),

I Would like to share a single Internet connection (3BB ADSL) between 2 houses.

They are about 20m apart (line of  sight) 

Has anyone done this in Thailand? any contacts for technicians up in Chiang  Mai?

Will be most  grateful for any  input :)

TIA

Run a LAN cable from the main router to the second house and fit a wireless access point there, a cable should work up to 100m, so you have plenty of wriggle room if you have to add vertical elements to clear obstacles or allow vehicles under it.

Doing it via a WiFi repeater over that disatnce through two or more walls will probably not work very well.

I Would like to share a single Internet connection (3BB ADSL) between 2 houses.

They are about 20m apart (line of sight)

It rather depends on the layout of the houses, and in which rooms in each house you want to have a connection, but I would look at putting a wireless access point in the window of the first house and another in the window of the second. This will avoid problems related to exposure to rain etc. The two wifi devices will communicate very happily with each other over such a short distance without obstructions. For distribution inside the second house you could use wifi or LAN or PowerLAN depending on the shape and size of the house.

Running an Ethernet cable outside might be a good solution, assuming that it is practical ie the houses are next door to each other and there isnt a road or jungle between the two houses. You should use suitable conduit protection or run the cable overhead as some rodents like eating Ethernet cables.

On 4/26/2018 at 10:47 PM, The Fat Controller said:

Run a LAN cable from the main router to the second house and fit a wireless access point there, a cable should work up to 100m, so you have plenty of wriggle room if you have to add vertical elements to clear obstacles or allow vehicles under it.

Doing it via a WiFi repeater over that disatnce through two or more walls will probably not work very well.

Thank  you :) this would be the easiest option, but there are lots of vehicles on the road that separate the 2 house, the cat 5/6 STE/UTP might not survive that even in a conduit. 

On 4/27/2018 at 7:31 AM, KittenKong said:

It rather depends on the layout of the houses, and in which rooms in each house you want to have a connection, but I would look at putting a wireless access point in the window of the first house and another in the window of the second. This will avoid problems related to exposure to rain etc. The two wifi devices will communicate very happily with each other over such a short distance without obstructions. For distribution inside the second house you could use wifi or LAN or PowerLAN depending on the shape and size of the house.

Running an Ethernet cable outside might be a good solution, assuming that it is practical ie the houses are next door to each other and there isnt a road or jungle between the two houses. You should use suitable conduit protection or run the cable overhead as some rodents like eating Ethernet cables.

Thank you so much :), Yes this might be the way to go :) with 2 APs, BTW didn't know rodents liked Ethernet cables :) probably like the shark attacked on under sea cables I guess :) 

Would a brand like TP link be OK  for Access points? or  should I look for something better like Linksys or Cisco?

Adding a second device can address a number of applications, and there are some cost-effective wireless devices which operate in a number of different modes: Access Point, Repeater, Extender, Bridge, etc.

Do you need to support both wired and wireless clients "across the road"? Can wireless clients "across the road" connect to your router now? What make/model device do you have now? Is it a combined DSL modem/wired/wireless router?

Assuming only wireless clients "across the road", then a single device, operating in "Range Extender" mode, could operate with your existing device (assuming it supports wifi), over a WiFi link. These devices can be found for as little as 1,250 baht.

On 4/28/2018 at 5:41 PM, falangUK said:

Thank  you :) this would be the easiest option, but there are lots of vehicles on the road that separate the 2 house, the cat 5/6 STE/UTP might not survive that even in a conduit. 

Well, any cable is not going to survive vehicles running into it.  But if you are really just talking protection from the sun/rain/critters just buy "outdoor" Ethernet cable, with or without the sling/messenger/support wire.   Cat5E or Cat 6 "outdoor" cable usually costs around 13 to 20 baht per meter.

When I say "outdoor" ethernet cable all that means is it has a very tough outer insulation basically like outdoor phone/DSL wire strung along the soi poles.   I used outdoor Cat 5E ethernet about two years ago to connect my upstairs master router to my downstairs access point because to do this hardwire interconnection I had to run the wire on the outside of house walls where the rain/sun/critters would be attacking it all the time.   Been  two years now with the sun and rain (can critters) and the wire is still like new...works fine....passing along a 200Mb internet plan connection from my upstairs router to my downstairs access point.  Cost me 15 baht per meter...I used about 15 meters worth.

Some examples of "outdoor quality" Cat 5E/6 cable.

image.png.88f294aefce914cc645ef2b325ab2af1.png

image.png.cb99e015121911bd5eca4fdedeaeda13.png

image.png.c6bbfc05148cb1cd94693079e1e24fdd.png 

image.png.d6a29277e6c2dc105230ac13ce104b35.png

A wired uplink would yield the best results. Just remember that there may some limits on distance, I think it is 100 meters. Once you exceed this length you need to incorporate repeaters. Even though it may be 20 meters between the houses you may have to factor in the extra distance (through the house, up/over the road, back down, and into the second house) for the actual cable run.

That said, with a 30/5 3BB DSL internet connection, a WiFi extender/repeater/bridge would probably suffice. Maybe if it was a 100/40 fiber connection I'd press the case for an ethernet uplink?

Archived