Taxi tipping to/from airport

willyumcr

32 minutes ago, Ulic said:

grip Thailand. 100 baht tip should be enough. 200 baht if you are a two- week millionaire or American. Of course,

more than that will happily be accepted it from stupid Farang. 

Why would you care? If you don’t want to tip, don’t tip and stand by it, but don’t call other people names because they like to tip. 

thai taxi drivers already charge foreigners service fee,

because they figured we wanted to tip in the first instance.

tipping on top of that will cause them to charge more tip service

since we clearly wanted to pay more over price.

other thais are already fed up with us because the taxis

dismiss thai customers in favor of foreigners that they can charge more

Edited by poanoi
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Minnehaha said:

Why would anyone tip where local culture does not?

Why on earth would anyone tip ON A SET PRICE ? Particularly when it is 2 times the meter rate? 

• One,  it my money and I'll do with it as I like
  • Two, Don't give a rats ass about if it 'not in their culture' or not, it is my culture.
  • As pointed out several times, the driver doesn't get much of the 'agreed on price'   the owner or taxi company does.  
  • A tip in my opinon is a gesture from me that they took care of me and I appreciate it.
  • City cabs, I always round it up and let them have the difference, always appreciated.
  • Do you subtract the "Service Charge" from a bill in your home country because its 'not in your culture to tip'??  Guess not hey??  I think we all agree thta a Service Charge is nothing more than en enforced tip??   Peace
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, DJ54 said:

Tipping should depend on the service provided. I usually tip. 

Once the driver was driving dangerously fast gave no tip

and driver gave me yap about it. 

You should have tipped the driver for using English if that was in fact the language he was using to "yap".   :smile:

On 4/28/2018 at 1:25 PM, wpcoe said:

+1   I've been using Mr.T for a while now.  For Songkran Exodus he was booked up, so I used Cherry's taxi.  All drivers have seemed satisfied/happy with a B100 tip.

Good you use a regular taxi service.

You must live a fairly long way from the airport though, and it's a long return journey don't forget.

100B on a 1000b fare isn't over generous, but if you book in advance and agree a non-meter price it is enough IMHO.

:thumbsup:

6 minutes ago, poanoi said:

because of the tip habit you are so hellbent on exporting,

i get insulted as soon as i leave my hotel room,

strangers coming up to me with their hands up

saying they are hungry ( read horny and want a drink)

and when i refuse them they call me kee neaow (cheap charlie)

they clearly think i owe them money

Me thinks you doth embellish the truth!

And if that shoe fits you must wear it..

Edited by watcharacters
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, poanoi said:

because of the tip habit you are so hellbent on exporting,

i get insulted as soon as i leave my hotel room,

strangers coming up to me with their hands up

saying they are hungry ( read horny and want a drink)

and when i refuse them they call me kee neaow (cheap charlie)

they clearly think i owe them money

I think it hasn’t happened yet, but if anyone ever calls me a cheap Charlie, it won’t bother me, because I know I’m not stingy. And if I was on a budget, I’d use public transport instead of taxis whenever possible, that way I wouldn’t have a problem either. 

1 minute ago, Sapporillo said:

I think it hasn’t happened yet, but if anyone ever calls me a cheap Charlie, it won’t bother me, because I know I’m not stingy. And if I was on a budget, I’d use public transport instead of taxis whenever possible, that way I wouldn’t have a problem either. 

i knew i wasnt stingy either, and i in fact thought

they were complimenting me that i was careful with money,

that is, until i began understanding thainess and stuff:

the insults are intended to pressure victims to fork up

the protection money or else: face the insults, every day if you

dont pay up when told so

10 hours ago, Minnehaha said:

Why would anyone tip where local culture does not?

Why on earth would anyone tip ON A SET PRICE ? Particularly when it is 2 times the meter rate? 

Well Thais have been known to tip so I don' believe it is local culture not to. If anything scrounging and expecting money for nothing is more the local culture I am familiar with.

Which set price are you referring to that is 2 times the meter? I don't believe 1100 baht is 2 times the meter for the main airport to Pattaya, particularly if you consider the 100 baht approx. in tolls.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

And who decided that ?? :unsure:

Maybe it's the way it works where you come from, 

but where I come from we only tip when the service is better than expected.

If the service is just ok/normal, then no tip.

Australians dont Tip, never have to my knowledge, unless you promise not to Grass them up for Ball Tampering.   :giggle:

17 hours ago, TunnelRat69 said:
  • Do you subtract the "Service Charge" from a bill in your home country because its 'not in your culture to tip'??  Guess not hey??  I think we all agree thta a Service Charge is nothing more than en enforced tip??   Peace

In "my" country, Finland, there is no service charge on any bills, only VAT. It's because they understand tipping is eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeevil and it's practitioners are doomed to the eight special level of hell. And also because they are able to do their jobs properly without always haggling for extra $ for it. At least they got something right. The Japanese are even better and will take yer eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeevil tipping as an insult. Good on them.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/1/2018 at 9:22 PM, poanoi said:

thai taxi drivers already charge foreigners service fee,

because they figured we wanted to tip in the first instance.

tipping on top of that will cause them to charge more tip service

since we clearly wanted to pay more over price.

other thais are already fed up with us because the taxis

dismiss thai customers in favor of foreigners that they can charge more

20 years ago I got off the train at the malaysian border and got a motorbike taxi to take me to the checkpoint..it was 10 baht there and back...

.I gave the driver 15 baht and my wife [government official] went ballistic..'Now he will want 15 baht for same service'...

• 4 months later...

If anyone wants a good reliable taxi service, try Ban Chang Taxi. 1000bht Bkk to Pattaya, tolls included. They greet with a sign at gate 3, always on time. Good cars, good service, I usually tip 150bht for my 1450bht ride to Ban Chang.

On 9/28/2018 at 12:34 PM, janclaes47 said:

As if anyone on this forum really would know how much the taxi driver get paid.

Several years ago I used a local guy whose number I received from a friend to book an B800 taxi to Suvarnabhumi.  The driver was a fellow from Bangkok and he paid the booking agent right in front of me:  B600!

On 5/1/2018 at 3:38 PM, bartender100 said:

Last one i had from MrT constantly on the phone and driving over 100, I asked him to ststop but he said he had to take the calls, not the first one to do either, unless I get a guarantee from MrT I wont use him again for drivers, he got no tip

If I have to I will ask the taxi to stop and get out if hes on the phone. Thanks for the tip about Mr T. I will never use him.  I pay a bit more and get a polite driver who listens to my requests

20 years ago I got a motorcycle taxi driver to take me to immigration at the malaysia border..it cost 10 baht with him waiting to take me back. to the station.

I gave him 5 baht tip and my wife [government official] went ballistic.'.Now everyone will have to pay 15 baht '...

Hang out with a Brit for awhile.  He quickly changed my ingrained habit of tipping.  Now I usually don't tip for anything.  Tell them you are from the UK.

You are not tipping to get a smile or a thank you.  If you are then you are doing it wrong.  Also, forget about the add 10%-20% BS.  5-10baht for meals max, if anything.  Regardless of the bill. 100 is plenty tip for Mr. T.

Edited by lapd

20 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

I stopped with Mr. T jacked up his prices last time I used them and the driver was falling asleep.

100 b is more then enough tip for any driver.

They raised their prices by 100 baht because I believe the toll increased by 100 baht.  So I don't think they are making more than they did before.

Edited by lapd

9 minutes ago, lapd said:

They raised their prices by 100 baht because I believe the toll increased by 100 baht.  So I don't think they are making more than they did before.

I am not sure about Mr. T.

Is there one guy that handles the bookings or does he farm them out?

When I called I woke some dude up and he quoted me 300 b above the previous rate.

I did not want to shop around so took it.

Have since found a less expensive more reliable option.