Dvd Splitter Software.

coldcrush

What exactly do you want to split?

Normally you'd rip the DVD to your hard disk first, and then work on the VOB files, which are actually plain jane mpeg2 files with a different extension.

If you just want to split into the different chapters (like you would want to do with a music DVD, so you end up with 1 videofile per song) use smartripper. It gives you the option of ripping a seperate file for each chapter....

There are more questions than answers....

In what way are the ones you've used 'no good'?

Exactly how do you need to 'split' the data?

I agree with SmartRipper, or if you want to crush down onto a single recordable DVD try DVD2ONE.

To edit - split, combine or what a video after it is on the hard drive I do like VideoReDo. It is faster, neater and easier to use than most - mainly as it doesn't have all the bells and whistles and does not re- encode every time.

It is not free but has a 30 day trial if you only want to do a few jobs.

Have you tried DVD Shrink?

Works for me (most times anyway).

DVD shrink and the other will not recognise the file, its states it is a video clip. When I try and split ir shrink etc the software programs do not seem to recognise the file. I use easy splitter as well but htta only splits and leaves 50% of the movie in the destination folder??!!!??

Pain in the ass now!

Thanks all any suggestions welcomed :o

An avi file is probably in one of the advanced formats, like divx or dvix.

Burning a DVD will require Nero to re-encode this file into mpeg2, resulting in a much bigger file!

For DVD (mpeg2) you need roughly between 40 and 70 Mb per minute of video, while AVI will require only between 3 and 10 Mb/minute!

I don't use Nero, but try to find if you can find a setting where you can adjust the bitrate, then bring it gradually down until the movie will fit on one dvd. It will lose a bit in quality though...

Alternatively, split the avi in 2 pieces and then burn to two dvd's

You can use this piece of software to split avi files...

Hiya all

I would just like to clarify the file (Movie) is 701mb and Nero states it is to large to go on a 4.7GB disc? Why would it do that?

Thanks All

Burning a DVD will require Nero to re-encode this file into mpeg2, resulting in a much bigger file!

For DVD (mpeg2) you need roughly between 40 and 70 Mb per minute of video, while AVI will require only between 3 and 10 Mb/minute!

I don't use Nero, but try to find if you can find a setting where you can adjust the bitrate, then bring it gradually down until the movie will fit on one dvd. It will lose a bit in quality though...

Hiya all

I would just like to clarify the file (Movie) is 701mb and Nero states it is to large to go on a 4.7GB disc? Why would it do that?

Thanks All

Cannot find the settings for changing the bitrate on Nero, will have ago with the AVI split.

Thanks Monty :o

Hiya all

Thanks All

Cannot find the settings for changing the bitrate on Nero, will have ago with the AVI split.

If you want to solve most of your problems the "ACONRTC, AN-801 ODW, DVD-RW+R Recorder" is the way to go. You can record two to three movies on a 4.7/1x4 or several songs. The unit is available from "best" outlets or I am sure other shops. Sure unties a lot of computer time..Jim

• 1 month later...

Hiya all

Thanks All

ive got the same problem you do i have nero and i use 4.7gb disks

i do have 1 worry though

awhile ago i split an avi file in 2 parts then got it into 2 disks

however the quality was just horrible it was pixelated and everything is there a way to prevent this? i really dont want that to happen for my next dvd im burning

so could you post how yours turned out?

*coughfmamoviecough*

If the file is too big, then it's too big.

I had this problem when ripping DVD's & soon realised that one certain way to overcome it was to buy a dual layer DVD burner.

EDIT: Dual layer DVD's are about 9 Gigabyte.

Edited by elkangorito

If the file is too big, then it's too big.

I had this problem when ripping DVD's & soon realised that one certain way to overcome it was to buy a dual layer DVD burner.

my dvd burner can burn all types or thats what my local computer store told me :\

HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GSA-H22N

thats what it says in the device manager properties for my dvd drive