Chinese man arrested in Bangkok with 57 fake ATM cards

rooster59

Chinese man arrested in Bangkok with 57 fake ATM cards

By The Nation

28-_180428_0049-1024x683.jpg

A Chinese man has been arrested for allegedly stealing ATM card identities to make fake ones and steal from bank accounts.

Pol Maj-General Surachet Hakpal, the deputy commissioner of the Tourist Police Bureau, said the 27-year-old Chinese man, Xen Dazui, was arrested while he was using a fake card to withdraw money from an ATM machine in front of Soi 20 Mithuna in Bangkok’s Huay Khwang district on Thursday.

Surachet said police had been hunting for the suspect after the Government Savings Bank filed a complaint that a suspect had used fake ATM cards to withdraw money from its ATM machines.

Surachet said police found 15 fake ATM cards with the suspect and another 42 in his rented room in the Ratchadaphisek area.

Records showed that the suspect had entered the country on February 27 and had been using fake ATM cards he had made with stolen identities to withdraw money since April 8.

Police found three magnetic strip writer and reader machines and a notebook computer in his rented room.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30344197

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-04-28

54 minutes ago, geisha said:

Sounds quite easy doesn’t it ? Maybe the financial institutions should be doing more homework on how to stop this rampage . 

Excellent point, how come the BOT or finance ministry or whoever have not issued regulations to change the systems for much much better security, years ago?

• Confused 1

53 minutes ago, sahibji said:

well done the authorities for such a brilliant job.

au·thor·i·ty
əˈTHôrədē/
the power or right to give orders, make decisions, and enforce obedience.
คำพ้องความหมาย:    power, jurisdiction, command, control, charge, dominance, rule, sovereignty, supremacy; เพิ่มเติม
a person or organization having power or control in a particular, typically political or administrative, sphere.

Clearly attributes to discribe the RTP, right?

57 minutes ago, free123 said:

i always think atm need code..???? how he can get code...??? and if get the code from observe victim how he can get card details.

I'm with you Free 123 on this. Baffled!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Allegedly the card skimmer either records the PIN or a micro camera is also fitted to the ATM to record the PIN 4 digits. Hence you should always hold your hand above/hiding the key board while putting in your PIN with your other hand.

3 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Fake cover over the card slot of an ATM that reads the card info combined with a small camera and/or a DTMF reader to capture the pin code. All info is then relayed usually via Bluetooth or WiFi meaning the criminals need to be fairly close at all times....like this 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, free123 said:

i always think atm need code..???? how he can get code...??? and if get the code from observe victim how he can get card details....

Probably the card details and PIN codes were obtained through “skimming” and thus he had the codes as well.

Not too smart, as the ATM cameras would see his face making all the fraudulent withdrawals himself...

I use  a state of the art access to my storage facility in Pattaya. I can  only get in using my fingerprint.
Why is it that in the 21st century, Banks cannot do the same for ATM's ? Fingerprint + plus code + Iris scanner.... unless the crooks torture you for the PIN , and cut you up there would be no mistake of identity.

Or even simpler, no card at all - you have to punch in a number and letter string password with an access name you choose yourself....i.e. like on a computer !!!

It would also stop the machines eating your card ? 3 times in LoS for me ...never in any other country so far.

No real shakes...If they (the Chinese) can copy the B2 stealth Bomber to make the  Chinese version named JH-XX, why are we going into seizures & fits over few cloned ATM's.? Its taking candy from babes to them now..

On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 3:55 PM, free123 said:
22 hours ago, ElGeneraliDeGoofo said:

Fake cover over the card slot of an ATM that reads the card info combined with a small camera and/or a DTMF reader to capture the pin code. All info is then relayed usually via Bluetooth or WiFi meaning the criminals need to be fairly close at all times....like this 

i always think atm need code..???? how he can get code...??? and if get the code from observe victim how he can get card details....

Part of the problem is the false sense of security people have. I have yet to see a Thai cover their fingers up whilst typing in their pin number.

I caught a middle aged Thai women in a Tesco Bangkok looking over my shoulder while I was using an ATM once. Who knows what she was up to?

9 minutes ago, Amusements said:

Part of the problem is the false sense of security people have. I have yet to see a Thai cover their fingers up whilst typing in their pin number.

I caught a middle aged Thai women in a Tesco Bangkok looking over my shoulder while I was using an ATM once. Who knows what she was up to?

Was your zip open....?

:laugh:

On 4/28/2018 at 6:41 PM, geisha said:

Sounds quite easy doesn’t it ? Maybe the financial institutions should be doing more homework on how to stop this rampage . 

On 4/28/2018 at 7:54 PM, owl sees all said:

looks like the banks computers flagged this guy pretty quickly and they probably also had  a photo of him by this time , i'm guessing he set  up a skimming (card reading ) device on an ATM somewhere( or even installed a fake ATM) which records the magnetic strip data and either a camera to record PIN or  a fake numeric keypad which captured key strokes

Edited by jhonnie
typo