ext of stay based on marriage.... letter from bank

I read that ''if you use the 400K method I think you need your bank to write you a letter and print/stamp a statement and show original bank book, not just the statement. ''

Is this true. Do I actually need a letter from the bank. Will they not be satisfied with a stamped bank statement and bank book? So stupid...

thanks

A letter from the bank confirming your account and the balance in it on the date it is written is required.

Most offices do not require a bank statement.

You need copies of your updated bank book to prove the money has been in the bank for 2 months.

• Thanks 1

I always go to the bank for the letter the day before I plan to renew my extension. Any earlier could be (I'm not saying 100 percent) problematic. For the last two applications I have also had a signed and stamped 6 month bank statement and of course every page of my bank book photocopied. Two copies of each page as I apply outside of Bangkok. 

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

A letter from the bank confirming your account and the balance in it on the date it is written is required.

Most offices do not require a bank statement.

You need copies of your updated bank book to prove the money has been in the bank for 2 months.

I just looked at my bank book and statements and note  that my balance has been greater than 400k since mid november. However, I hadnt updated it for ages and in mid march I went to the branch and inserted it into the machine and the dam machine didnt print all the transactions for the 4th month period. It only printed a 1 line summary of total deposits and total withdrawals... Thus in the bank book it will look like Ive only had the balance greater than 400k since mid march but the statements show the real picture. Do you think that they will reject this?

Should I give up and apply for the ext of stay after mid may which will prove / satisfy the 2 month requirement.

Or should I ask the bank manager to say in the letter that the balance has been in excess of 400k since mid november?

thanks

11 minutes ago, ubonr1971 said:

I just looked at my bank book and statements and note  that my balance has been greater than 400k since mid november. However, I hadnt updated it for ages and in mid march I went to the branch and inserted it into the machine and the dam machine didnt print all the transactions for the 4th month period. It only printed a 1 line summary of total deposits and total withdrawals... Thus in the bank book it will look like Ive only had the balance greater than 400k since mid march but the statements show the real picture. Do you think that they will reject this?

Should I give up and apply for the ext of stay after mid may which will prove / satisfy the 2 month requirement.

Or should I ask the bank manager to say in the letter that the balance has been in excess of 400k since mid november?

thanks

Ask the bank to provide a certified bank statement for the required period of time.

26 minutes ago, ubonr1971 said:

I just looked at my bank book and statements and note  that my balance has been greater than 400k since mid november.

Ask the bank for a statement when you get the letter. Immigration will accept that instead of the book.

Next time be sure and keep you bank book updated. For sure do it before the 2 month count starts.

23 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

I always go to the bank for the letter the day before I plan to renew my extension. Any earlier could be (I'm not saying 100 percent) problematic. For the last two applications I have also had a signed and stamped 6 month bank statement and of course every page of my bank book photocopied. Two copies of each page as I apply outside of Bangkok. 

If you did that at my Imm office they would send you off to get it updated on the date of your application. No 24 hour in advance updates allowed anymore must be the date of application. 

Edited by Andycoops

If you did that at my Imm office they would send you off to get it updated on the date of your application. No 24 hour in advance updates allowed anymore must be the date of application. 

I've know idea if it has recently changed but at Chiang Mai immigration that just wouldn't work simply because in most cases you have to arrive very early in the morning to stand any chance of being processed that day. So unless the banks start opening at 5am I can't see a way around it. At CM they have young student types who pre-check all your paperwork before they give you a number. If anything is missing or incorrect then they won't give you said number until you have corrected the problem. And that would almost certainly mean being told to come back tomorrow. Whether the banks will date the letter for the following day I'm not sure, I've never asked.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• 3 weeks later...

Just a question, for Bangkok immigration, can I get a bank letter and update bank book for the day before applying, as my savings are at UOB, which does not have a branch at Immigration. I can then draw Bt 100 from an any ATM on the day of application to prove balance?

10 minutes ago, justjulian said:

Just a question, for Bangkok immigration, can I get a bank letter and update bank book for the day before applying, as my savings are at UOB, which does not have a branch at Immigration. I can then draw Bt 100 from an any ATM on the day of application to prove balance?

They would accept the letter done the day before. But they are very strict about the bank book being updated on the date you apply. If you did a ATM withdrawal you could then update your bank book in one of the machines to do it if UOB has them.