Moving UK Pensions

Wonder if any of the sages on here can offer any advice,

I have a couple of UK pensions , recently got in touch with Hargreaves Landsdown and asked them if I could move them to a SIPP,

they replied that as I was based in Thailand they couldn't do it.

Done a bit of research but havn't as yet found any decent sounding brokers , I know there is a lot of scam merchants in this area of pensions so , just wondering if anyone here has had any good results.

18 minutes ago, jkthai said:

just wondering if anyone here has had any good results.

Certainly NOT. Moved my private pensions into a QROPS based in Jersey on advice of a 'I F A' based in Pattaya. Lost over £60,000. And there is an ad going on one UK radio station, Smooth Gold, about claiming back if you WERE advised to open a SIPP. 

22 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Certainly NOT. Moved my private pensions into a QROPS based in Jersey on advice of a 'I F A' based in Pattaya. Lost over £60,000. And there is an ad going on one UK radio station, Smooth Gold, about claiming back if you WERE advised to open a SIPP. 

I moved my pension into a QROPS scheme a couple of years ago.  Since the budget last year, that avenue has been pretty much closed.  The government will take 30% up front plus charge UK tax for the first 5 years.

5 minutes ago, HHTel said:

I moved my pension into a QROPS scheme a couple of years ago.  Since the budget last year, that avenue has been pretty much closed.  The government will take 30% up front plus charge UK tax for the first 5 years.

But existing ones are OK I hope. Hey, mine doesn't even make a profit after all the heffing charges.

Edited by wgdanson

I too am with HL and have a SIPP with them. I use a Royal Mail re-direction service to U.K. Post Box (on-line mail handler) - UK property is rented out so this provides me with a way of keeping a U.K. address.  Currently a U.K. Resident as meet HMRC’s Sufficient Ties Tests. Will become non-UK resident this tax year. 

I use The Fry Group to help with my U.K. Tax position. Concur with dabhand, they are very professional and helpful. My adviser is in Worthing, U.K.and I meet him once a year in the U.K. and any questions during the year are dealt with via email. . A relative who used to live in Hong Kong used the Fry Group too (they also have a Hong Kong Office) when he lived there and spoke highly of them too. 

https://www.thefrygroup.co.uk/tax-financial-planning/wealth-management/

• Like 1

I have my SIPP with Alliance Trust and when I move to Thailand next year I will not be telling anyone unless it's to my advantage. I'm a British citizen who is free to travel anywhere and return home whenever I choose. I will only decide to become an ex-pat when it has distinct financial advantages and this has to weighed against losing access to the NHS. 

• Like 2

If you have an existing SIPP or ISA as I have with AJ Bell and cofunds respectively there is no problem keeping them whennyou move overseas. Be aware that under uk tax rules you can make no further contributions to your SIPP and qualify for tax relief,nor make any further  ISA contributions as a non resident (under 182 days per year spent in uk). Moving existing ones (you don’t say what pension you have) to a different platform I guess will be at the discretion of the provider. 

16 hours ago, Jaggg88 said:

I have my SIPP with Alliance Trust and when I move to Thailand next year I will not be telling anyone unless it's to my advantage. I'm a British citizen who is free to travel anywhere and return home whenever I choose. I will only decide to become an ex-pat when it has distinct financial advantages and this has to weighed against losing access to the NHS. 

Whilst a good strategy.beware the myriad things that could catch you out and with increasing connectivity between government departments one issue could bring it all down. If you have to renew your passport for example you’ll have to ensure you are in the uk for the period it takes to apply and get it back.Also the retirement visa/entry and exit stamps thai immigration put in your passport are an absolute giveaway if anyone needs to see it. See my post about making further contributions to your SIPP/ISA. Try to get as much paid in as possible before leaving.